AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Support for newly released games this year has been pretty horrible, having to wait months after release for a performance driver or bug fixes when Nvidia hasn't had the same problems for the most part is pretty infuriating, weather the fault lies with AMD or the developers not giving them code in time doesn't really matter, the main thing is that for newly released games Nvidia has been the better side to be on this year.

Skyrim was fixed pretty quickly, and I didn't encounter really any bugs (textures missing in Riften, that's about it). That's just one example, but it disproves the tautology they've been sluggish for all new releases.

Skyrim was fixed pretty quickly, and I didn't encounter really any bugs (textures missing in Riften, that's about it). That's just one example, but it disproves the tautology they've been sluggish for all new releases.

Still not quickly enough IMO, especially in regards to SLI/Crossfire, Nvidia had SLI support out the day before the game was released as far as I know, AMD didn't have crossfire support out till like a month after release which is way too slow, gamers don't want to wait a month or more to play a new game properly, especially if the other side's customers don't have the same issue.

As for AMD drivers, it hasn't been a great year to have a CFX system. Even SSE3:BFE had (may still have, I stopped playing because of the intermittent flashing) CFX issues.
Hell, how long did Borderlands have a lock-up issue last year? Six months?

Support for newly released games this year has been pretty horrible, having to wait months after release for a performance driver or bug fixes when Nvidia hasn't had the same problems for the most part is pretty infuriating, weather the fault lies with AMD or the developers not giving them code in time doesn't really matter, the main thing is that for newly released games Nvidia has been the better side to be on this year.

What games exactly?
Honest question, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and I often wander around gaming blogs and forums...

What games exactly?
Honest question, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and I often wander around gaming blogs and forums...

Have you not seen the amount of hotfix drivers that they have released in the last few months? There was at least 3 versions of 11.11, granted other than Rage most issues were Crossfire related.

Nvidia had SLI support out the day before the game was released as far as I know.

TWIMTBP :yes:

Or have you missed all the NVIDIA/Skyrim co-branding?

There have been vice-versa examples as well, must've sucked really bad playing Dragon Age 2 as an NVIDIA user at launch.

Recent games that had issues with AMD drivers that I can think of without digging (and I include CFX since it is a marketed and sold feature and not supporting it is a bug):.

Yet it's a bug that will only hit a really small percentage of the users. And as I said, vice versa, 290.36 made me not able to play Battlefield 3 or use any sort of video acceleration on my 580.

Grass, greener, other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
What games exactly?
Honestly question, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and I often wander around gaming blogs and forums...

Recent games that had issues with AMD drivers that I can think of without digging (and I include CFX since it is a marketed and sold feature and not supporting it is a bug):

Startcraft, Crysis 2, Rage, SS3:BFE, BF3, F12010, Dirt2, Homefront, BFBC2, STALKER, CoDBO, Hawx2

Also there were bluray playback issues...google earth issues...

Go read some Catalyst release notes and you'll find tons more.

I'll just add that I am a fan of AMD - tended to have them in my systems more than NV - so I'm going to HOPE that the horrible 2011 driver year was a result of AMD redirecting resources to developing PERFECT drivers for the 79XX series. ;)

Have you not seen the amount of hotfix drivers that they have released in the last few months? There was at least 3 versions of 11.11, granted other than Rage most issues were Crossfire related.
Indeed .

In regards to drivers there is no question that AMD is the one with inferior quality , it gets even worse with old games , Just try BF2 and tell me about the black spots you see on the ground !

HOCP had many reports on this one , calling AMD to do more efforts to improve quality .

Anyway , this shouldn't distract us from the soon-to-be-great launch , or at least that is what I expect it to be .

I'll just add that I am a fan of AMD - tended to have them in my systems more than NV - so I'm going to HOPE that the horrible 2011 driver year was a result of AMD redirecting resources to developing PERFECT drivers for the 79XX series. ;)

This is a possible cause. I bet it would be a great experience for the driver team(s) to have to author drivers, for vliw4, vliw5, gcn, lol! Let's give these guys a break.

Having used both SLI and CFX systems for the past year, I have to say that Nvidia is indeed a bit better, but AMD is not so far behind. Please guys don't exaggerate.

Now it would be better to stick to the matter at hand. 7970 is launching today. Let's all stand in awe and see what it brings to the table! :)

Recent games that had issues with AMD drivers that I can think of without digging (and I include CFX since it is a marketed and sold feature and not supporting it is a bug):

Startcraft, Crysis 2, Rage, SS3:BFE, BF3, F12010, Dirt2, Homefront, BFBC2, STALKER, CoDBO, Hawx2

Also there were bluray playback issues...google earth issues...

Go read some Catalyst release notes and you'll find tons more.

I didn't have any problems with Crysis 2, or BF3. Perfect. on both those games. In BF3 I noticed most of the message board complaining seemed to be from Nvidia owners (they said even factory overclocked Nvidia cards had do be downclocked to stock to avoid problems? WTF?), and as I recall 2XXX and possibly 4XXX Nvidia cards had a major shadow issue in BF3, whereas my 4890 from the same generation was fine. >> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-3.html

Havent had any issues in 2-3 years of owning a 4890, thouigh I dont really PC game much.

What's so broken that needs a tragic fix?
Except for that Rage thingie, I've had little to no complaints for the past years.

I used to think it was all internet hype about Catalyst sucking. But they've clearly been taking steps backwards recently. If it were only one or two games that were quickly fixed that's not bad, but I'm talking about major issues that caused my GTX260 to vastly outperform a 6970 for months. Not to mention the AMD cards couldn't run Rage properly at all, regardless of the poor performance. Not acceptable, and I have never experienced such a thing with my NV cards.

Not to mention the AMD cards couldn't run Rage properly at all, regardless of the poor performance. Not acceptable, and I have never experienced such a thing with my NV cards.

Is that completely AMD's fault or maybe the developer who's still sour for one little Alpha-build leak?

I used to think it was all internet hype about Catalyst sucking. But they've clearly been taking steps backwards recently. If it were only one or two games that were quickly fixed that's not bad, but I'm talking about major issues that caused my GTX260 to vastly outperform a 6970 for months. Not to mention the AMD cards couldn't run Rage properly at all, regardless of the poor performance. Not acceptable, and I have never experienced such a thing with my NV cards.

What? Your GTX260 couldn't even run BF3 properly where my 4890 will run rings around it too, besides not having bugs. >>http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-3.html

Where would a GTX 260 outperfom a 6970?

I've had zero issues with my 4890. Hearing all the horror stories about all factory overclocked Nvidia's not working in BF3, as well as tons of other problems, made me glad to be on AMD. Specially considering my 4890 has a 100mhz factory OC without issues.

icon.jpeg

Reference cards sure are ugly...the rounded corners make it look slightly less hideous but that's about it...

They look like Nintendo Wii design school, square block.

I didn't have any problems with Crysis 2, or BF3.

Well then I don't know why AMD lists a fix for these in their release notes :)
Crysis 2 was unplayable with CFX for weeks after its initial release. Basically a 20 Hz strobe light. They eventually fixed it. Anyway, don't argue with me, just tell AMD to stop fixing - and documenting fixes - for problems that never existed :)

Well then I don't know why AMD lists a fix for these in their release notes :)
Crysis 2 was unplayable with CFX for weeks after its initial release. Basically a 20 Hz strobe light. They eventually fixed it. Anyway, don't argue with me, just tell AMD to stop fixing - and documenting fixes - for problems that never existed :)

Well, I dont care or know about crossfire since I dont use that. C2 certainly worked perfectly for me and I rarely even update my drivers.

I'm sure every Nvidia driver lists multiple bug fixes too, neither here nor there.

Back