NVIDIA Kepler speculation thread

Leoneazzuro has the right idea with regards to the "fanboy" thing. Let's nicely let it rest, it's both boring and counterproductive. And I mean more than just not using the word, please. This site (whose bias seems to follow a random-walk at times, looking at history) is not the place for ragingly polarised innuendo, so I'd urge the offenders to take heed from another recent example of where such behaviour leads (this is not aimed at you Mize, by the way). Let's get back to the non-existing 16-wide SIMD!

As I'm a laptop user and a gamer, I' quite more interested in the mobile variants of both architectures. It is known that on the AMD side we will have both Cape Verde and Pitcairn based solutions (when? I looked for info, but found no release dates and this is quite strange as CV power consumtion is in the right range) and Nvidia released the GK107 for the mobile (and made a mess with the namings, as usual, by mixing Fermi and Kepler based solutions, even with the same name) but no word yet if we will have a GK106 or even GK104 mobile solutions. Are there any news about this? GK107 seems promising but it's not a step-up from the previous generations Barts or GF114 based solutions if you have one (like me).

As I'm a laptop user and a gamer, I' quite more interested in the mobile variants of both architectures. It is known that on the AMD side we will have both Cape Verde and Pitcairn based solutions (when? I looked for info, but found no release dates and this is quite strange as CV power consumtion is in the right range) and Nvidia released the GK107 for the mobile (and made a mess with the namings, as usual, by mixing Fermi and Kepler based solutions, even with the same name) but no word yet if we will have a GK106 or even GK104 mobile solutions. Are there any news about this? GK107 seems promising but it's not a step-up from the previous generations Barts or GF114 based solutions if you have one (like me).

More and more I find myself gaming on my laptop now that economy+ has AC outlets. That 13-14 hour stretch between Detroit and Beijing goes much faster playing games on a laptop than watching movies or playing games on an iPad :)

As such my current holy grail is a 13" laptop with a solid GPU (meaning significantly better than ivy bridge's integrated) that runs cool. Battery life isn't the big issue if it has integrated to fall back on for work. From what I've gathered, however, the first kepler laptop reviews have said it runs hot. :(

More and more I find myself gaming on my laptop now that economy+ has AC outlets. That 13-14 hour stretch between Detroit and Beijing goes much faster playing games on a laptop than watching movies or playing games on an iPad :)

As such my current holy grail is a 13" laptop with a solid GPU (meaning significantly better than ivy bridge's integrated) that runs cool. Battery life isn't the big issue if it has integrated to fall back on for work. From what I've gathered, however, the first kepler laptop reviews have said it runs hot. :(

I am more interested in the "top spot" cads : I use a desktop replacement but I don't like the >5Kg monsters à la Alienware, so I use now a Clevo with a 6970 (at the time of the purchase the difference with the 485 mobile was very little from a performance standpoint but very big on price) with a full HD screen (one of the wot I've seen on a laptop, I must admit). But the 6970M at that resolution is limited in some games, so I feel this generation of cards, which also seems promising about power consumption, could be worth for upgrading. But the lack of info is quite strange (supply issues on 28 nm?) and the "600M series mess" from Nvidia is not hinting a good situation on the mobile side (from both vendors, as AMD did not yet announce any product on 28nm...)

I am more interested in the "top spot" cads : I use a desktop replacement but I don't like the >5Kg monsters à la Alienware, so I use now a Clevo with a 6970 (at the time of the purchase the difference with the 485 mobile was very little from a performance standpoint but very big on price) with a full HD screen (one of the wot I've seen on a laptop, I must admit). But the 6970M at that resolution is limited in some games, so I feel this generation of cards, which also seems promising about power consumption, could be worth for upgrading. But the lack of info is quite strange (supply issues on 28 nm?) and the "600M series mess" from Nvidia is not hinting a good situation on the mobile side (from both vendors, as AMD did not yet announce any product on 28nm...)

I have a 15" MacBook Pro with W7, but it's a bit big for economy class :( I still use it, mind you, but slightly smaller and lighter would be nice.

This has been answered many many times already.

When Nvidia was designing Kepler they had internal targets as to what they thought AMD's GCN would perform at. Once Nvidia saw the performance of the 7970 they knew that their mid-range GPU would be able to match or exceed it. It also allowed Nvidia to delay the release of the BigK GK110 until later in the year when yields and supply of 28nm capacity of TSMC increases.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...cted-more-from-radeon-hd-7900q-exclusive.html

If you really have complaints as to why Nvidia's mid-range GPU can outperform AMD's high-range ask AMD why.
While I'm sure Nvidia adjusted the naming and price of GK104 after Tahiti launched you are mistaken to believe GK110 not shipping yet is related. GK104 taped out first and thus has shipped first. It's still likely Nvidia won't push GK110 to market as fast as they would have if the competitive situation was different, but as of today it's had no effect.

From a performance/efficiency/noise point of view both eh 7970 and 680 are excellent, but the edge goes slightly to NV IMO, at least at my gaming settings (1080p / max everything). But that's not the true advantage of going with the 680 as far as I'm concerned. Where NV really nails AMD is in the drivers. PhysX, TXAA, Adaptive vsync, individual game profiles etc... all of these things make NV the easy choice for me next time, even if Kepler was a little slower than the 7970 I'd still go with it.

And for the time being it's actually cheaper too. That makes it a no brainer.

If they could release 'BigK' they would. Simple as that.

I'm not sure that's true. They have the advantage already with GK104, why show their hand with BigK before AMD shows it's hand, i.e. it's counter to GK104?

May as well sit back and wait, let the process mature, see what AMD put on the table and then tailor BigK clocks to beat it (if possible).

Exactly like that one. Thanks.

Kingpin have use a really special board and an beefed up addon card for control the VRM (and Turboboost it seems ).. Dont expect to buy a retail card, put it under LN2 and get the same results..

I'm not sure that's true. They have the advantage already with GK104, why show their hand with BigK before AMD shows it's hand, i.e. it's counter to GK104?

May as well sit back and wait, let the process mature, see what AMD put on the table and then tailor BigK clocks to beat it (if possible).
Because waiting means less time alone on market for a product they could price with high margins. You can't really sit on high tech, there's a window to make money on these things.

Kepler does much better in things like Nbody, fluids, direct compute etc..but much worse in all the other compute benchmarks..especially opencl. Has this card been crippled in the drivers, or are there other reasons for this?

Back