The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

They are kind of expensive at Amazon :???:

I think I will wait. Never heard of ShopTo before. Gonna check it out

ShopTo has worked very well for me. Great prices and delivery. Found out about them through Eurogamer, where they displaced Play as the recommended retail partner. Play's prices are no longer competitive.

Anton Mikhailov discusses Kinect,

I know that they're only responding to interviewer questioning, but it feel somewhat strange that both Richard Marks, and now Anton, are spending a considerable amount of time and effort in explaining why they (and Sony) didn't take a Natal-like route into motion gaming.

Now I appreciate their views on Kinect, but it is starting to feel like something of a defense mechanism, that somehow they feel threatened by Kinect. Usually when one mouthpiece from Sony or MS speaks of the other company, it's a short jibe and then back onto their own product. The last time I can recall any kind of sustained attacks or comments between these two companies was by MS trying to explain why Blu Ray was overkill, technologically challenging and something consumers didn't really want in a gaming machine.

They are telling us don't expect a controller-free experience on PS3, other than what we have on PSEye. In Anton's opinion, perhaps a HD version is what we can expect next (although we also read rumors about a 3D PSEye).

The vendors do talk about their stand from time to time. Like Steve Jobs calling Blu-ray a bag of hurts, some exec in Microsoft calling 3D a science experiment; and yes, about giving choices to customers between HD-DVD and Blu-ray, etc.

I agree Sony haven't talked and done enough about Move experience though.

EDIT: The PS3 Blog mentioned 2 Move games on PSN...

Swords & Soldiers Adds PlayStation Move Support!:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/29/swords-soldiers-adds-playstation-move-support/

Funky Lab Rat: PlayStation Move-enabled Puzzle-Platformer on PSN Tomorrow
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ve-enabled-puzzle-platformer-on-psn-tomorrow/

I think Sony is sticking to using games to build the user base slowly.

That strategy has never, never worked for any video game add-on.

Unless it takes off right away, it's doomed to a slow death. It's a catch-22 -- developers won't waste their time developing for something that has no market, and there's no market because there's no good games for it.

A botched launch (which I think at this point the Move probably qualifies with their complicated (and expensive) configurations, lack of appealing games to most people, and a terrible marketing job) dooms a product in this market.

Where are you?

It's hard to find the individual controllers here also, but there's tons and tons of starter kits, nav controllers. etc. It's just another part of the bundled launch -- poor SKU allocation.

I know that they're only responding to interviewer questioning, but it feel somewhat strange that both Richard Marks, and now Anton, are spending a considerable amount of time and effort in explaining why they (and Sony) didn't take a Natal-like route into motion gaming.

Now I appreciate their views on Kinect, but it is starting to feel like something of a defense mechanism, that somehow they feel threatened by Kinect. Usually when one mouthpiece from Sony or MS speaks of the other company, it's a short jibe and then back onto their own product. The last time I can recall any kind of sustained attacks or comments between these two companies was by MS trying to explain why Blu Ray was overkill, technologically challenging and something consumers didn't really want in a gaming machine.

What I like was that he defined exactly how good the tech would have to be for them to consider it good enough to go to market (we don't normally get that detail.) This doesn't seem to be the same as what a lot of the public thinks is good enough, but I appreciate them having a standard they live by.

Where are you?

It's hard to find the individual controllers here also, but there's tons and tons of starter kits, nav controllers. etc. It's just another part of the bundled launch -- poor SKU allocation.

Here in Jersey I can walk into just about any gamestop or bestbuy and walk out with a bundle. Extra controllers are another thing all together. However I remember at launch extra controllers being rare. So I wonder how many people are still trying to find 1 or 2 controllers for multiplayer games after buying a bundle.

I really don't see much interest in the move from casuals. I think its just to similar to the wii and it doesn't really have any killer title yet. They just need a game that really hits it off with people to get them into it. I just have no idea what it is.

I think MS has a diffrent battle ahead of them. I think the casuals love it cause its diffrent enough from the move and wii by virtue of having no controller. That people want to pick it up. However I think until they get that one hardcore title to spark with the core gamer it wont ever make it out of a niche market for them

Last time I went into mediamarkt they finally had a good shipment in it seems, plenty of stock there for a while for the bundles, though not the single Move controllers (has been the reverse for weeks). They also had a Move setup to play with, but it's very bad - the Move is anchored to a heavy metal cable! That doesn't make Sports Championship a very good game - better for something like Start-the-Party.

The question I have who who is instigating these feedbacks? Is this Sony going forth to talk about how rubbish Kinect is, or Sony putting forwards their engineers to talk about Move and journalists changing topic to Kinect? Every one of these interviews is the same, and there's no new information, so why are Anton and Richard still doing the rounds?

Eurogamer investigated Kinect suitability in four staff homes. shows what some people have to contend with. Although I do wonder, when they say, "this is my game room," do they not have a larger room they could be using? The idea of Kinect is to take centre stage in the largest room used for main daily living.

Unless it takes off right away, it's doomed to a slow death. It's a catch-22 -- developers won't waste their time developing for something that has no market, and there's no market because there's no good games for it.

A botched launch (which I think at this point the Move probably qualifies with their complicated (and expensive) configurations, lack of appealing games to most people, and a terrible marketing job) dooms a product in this market.

Never? I'm sure Singstar was not an immediate success was it?

But let's be honest, console add-ons are rarely a success - I suggest MS marketed Kinect very well and is why it's selling well, maybe Sony should have done more to promote Move...but it seems to be doing OK and there's no reason to think it won't snowball at this moment in time...what's to say as the software choice improves people won't ditch their Wiis for the box that 'does everything'?

Eurogamer investigated Kinect suitability in four staff homes. shows what some people have to contend with. Although I do wonder, when they say, "this is my game room," do they not have a larger room they could be using? The idea of Kinect is to take centre stage in the largest room used for main daily living.

They're saying "this is my 'gaming space'" as in this is where we play our games. It's generally not really feasible to change that drastically just for Kinect's sake. I think though that they were generous towards Kinect - Ellie basically can't play because of her downstairs neighbours, but she still got a good score. ;)

Meanwhile, Sony's posting some numbers in response. Sure, they're not selling as fast, but they're doing well and this time they specify "It does not include sales of the stand-alone PlayStation Eye camera or the stand-alone PlayStation Move navigation controller."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-30-sony-over-4-1-million-moves-sold

EDIT: The PS3 Blog mentioned 2 Move games on PSN...

Swords & Soldiers Adds PlayStation Move Support!:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/29/swords-soldiers-adds-playstation-move-support/

Funky Lab Rat: PlayStation Move-enabled Puzzle-Platformer on PSN Tomorrow
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ve-enabled-puzzle-platformer-on-psn-tomorrow/

I think Sony is sticking to using games to build the user base slowly.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/30/sony-playstation-move-reaches-4-1-million-in-worldwide-sales/

Microsoft's not the only one to achieve some market penetration with its newfangled motion controller contraption -- Sony has announced that in the two months the PlayStation Move has been available in Europe and North America, and the one month the device has been on sale in Japan, the core Move controller has sold 4.1 million units.

I am more curious to see their impact on Wii software availability. Whether developers will release Wii and Move games at the same time since at some level, they are very similar to each other (unless Sony intervenes).

I'm pleased Move is doing well. Should hopefully see continuous growth and not fizzle out, unlike EyeToy, which in turn will mean more cameras, which in turn will hopefully mean more camera-based gaming developments.

Back