Left4Dead2

I didn't see a thread on this, and the only L4D thread looked like it has run its course.

The demo for L4D2 is now available on Live!, I downloaded it last night but haven't gotten a chance to play.

I also didn't see any of my friends playing it, which was kinda shocking since how many grabbed the L4D demo right away.

Anybody had a chance to run this through the ringer yet, or is everybody busy trying to wrap up Borderlands before MW2 comes out?

I played it yesterday. The melee weapons are a good addition. There are some new items: adrenalin injection, defibrillator.

The game looked softer to me. There is some more post processing going on, and Josh mentioned he thought it looked sub-HD, which I thought might be true after playing it.

The gameplay is still great, and the new special infected add new challenges. It seems there is one unique special infected per mission.

You can race through the demo pretty quick because it is only the first two parts of one mission. Getting through on advanced wasn't too hard, but usually the first couple of stages aren't unreasonable. I'm sure sections 3-5 will be brutal like in the first game. Will probably give "expert" a go in the next few days.

I'm working on Borderlands for the most part with Robert, but I'll be into Left 4 Dead 2 once it is out. The demo wasn't a huge priority for me because I knew I'd get the game on day 1 anyway.

I played the PC demo...but to be honest I don't see how this is worth paying for unless money is burning a hole in your pocket. IMHO there is not enough added to be a worthy addition to the first game.

I also hope valve upgrades their engine one of these days. The post processing is ok, but most everything else looks really dated.

I played the PC demo...but to be honest I don't see how this is worth paying for unless money is burning a hole in your pocket. IMHO there is not enough added to be a worthy addition to the first game.
There is new infected for versus mode. And the AI director can set different paths through a map now. In the end if you liked the first you'll get this game this is five new campaigns(and probably at least one more through dlc).

The game is easier now, guess they're going for a broader mass appeal. Which is good for me I suppose since I suck at the first game despite me playing the game on a daily basis.

Had a quick play of the xbox version last night and thought it was ok, new infected (jockey,charger,?) were quite fun, demo did seem very easy , even when I voted with myself to up the difficulty to advanced. Infected seemed very un-reactive on the most part, often just standing there as I wandered past. There were a few mass charges though which were fun. Liked the setting and music. Going to hold off purchasing it for a while I though I think.

On advanced the game has always seemed easier with bots. The bots are more precise than human players, and will rescue you more quickly when pinned or incapacitated. The real test will be playing with three or four guys, which I haven't tried yet. Expert may be the setting for me, if they've lowered the difficulty.

I played a round last night and I agree that the game feels less frantic for more of the time than the original where it seemed like almost like there was no break in the action.

Having said that, I also agree that the new special infected were really cool (the Jockey animation when he's on your shoulders is just awesome), and I'm liking the new weapons as well.

On advanced the game has always seemed easier with bots. The bots are more precise than human players, and will rescue you more quickly when pinned or incapacitated. The real test will be playing with three or four guys, which I haven't tried yet. Expert may be the setting for me, if they've lowered the difficulty.
What are you talking about the bots are really stupid. They're slow to react and they wander to dangerous spots.

No, he's correct. The game is ALOT easier with the Bots because they don't 1) SHOOT YOU and 2) DON'T MISS.

It's true that playing with LEET gamers is better than playing with the bots but 4 out of 5 times you're playing with a bunch of numbnuts who shoot you or run off in random directions or can't hit the broadside of a barn.

IF you play with the AI, they pretty much go along the designated route, they'll heal you at their own expense and they hit what they shoot at without shooting you.

The game is far easier playing with AI than it is with 3 other people.

Then again, part of the fun of the game (especially this one considering the theme), is to say "HEY! WAIT! What are you doing?!?! No! Let's go THIS way!!", etc...

No he's not. In this I'm not going to back down I play L4D on a daily basis so I know. Maybe it's different in campaign mode since it's easier but in versus mode whenever you have a bot it's a hassle because it's slow to save you when you're pinned(it'll continue fighting horde for a while before it goes to you) and they wander away from the group(you're in a corner/room defending against a horde but the bot does not go into corner/room with you). And them healing you is a bad thing they heal you when you don't need it when you're in yellow and not red thus wasting a med pack.

Boot up L4D and ask in game chat, preferably versus mode since that's where all the veteran players are, wether it's easier to play with bots. Don't blame me if you get kicked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty much addicted to the demo. Probably played it over ten times already. Also, I love the atmosphere so much more than the first. I'd take nice sunny skies over darkness any day. Still I probably won't get the game until they have a free weekend/half off sale on steam.

No he's not. In this I'm not going to back down I play L4D on a daily basis so I know. Maybe it's different in campaign mode since it's easier but in versus mode whenever you have a bot it's a hassle because it's slow to save you when you're pinned(it'll continue fighting horde for a while before it goes to you) and they wander away from the group(you're in a corner/room defending against a horde but the bot does not go into corner/room with you). And them healing you is a bad thing they heal you when you don't need it when you're in yellow and not red thus wasting a med pack.

Boot up L4D and ask in game chat, preferably versus mode since that's where all the veteran players are, wether it's easier to play with bots. Don't blame me if you get kicked.

I'll agree that playing with a group of veterans can be much better than playing with bots, but if you play with inexperienced players, or selfish players, or lone wolves of any sort, bots can be a huge help. There are some things that bots do better, like instant saves from hunters, chargers and jockeys. They also rarely shoot their teammates. Bots are absolutely TERRIBLE in versus mode, but in campaign they can make the game on Advanced and below fairly easy. Expert is a different story because the game becomes far more strategic, and that is where the bots fail. That is also why they fail at versus. You'll never find AI that can't be outsmarted by a human opponent in a game.

Bots are stupid not just in comparison with experienced players but with anyone. Bots do not do instant saves, they get preoccupied first with fighting horde before they go to save you. Them always trying to heal you when you become yellow slows you down and wastes med packs. They don't get into defensive positions with the rest of the group and they don't keep pace with the group. I don't see how the behaviors I've noted can be any better in campaign mode. Bots are not better than humans in any mode.

How often do you play L4D? 360 or PC? Bots being stupid is a well known fact.

Edit: Search youtube for 'left 4 dead stupid bots' there are lots of videos. The search even suggests that search term as you're typing. 'left 4 dead dumb ai' is also in the search suggest.

I've played the original quite a bit. The bots actually will save you almost instantly from hunters, smokers etc in a lot of cases. You can pretty much breeze through all of the campaigns on advanced in single player. On Expert they are totally useless, and same with versus mode.

Regardless, playing with bots kills the game because it entirely removes the strategic and cooperative aspects of the game. If you intend to play single player only, don't bother.

The demo seemed easy, but the retail game seems much more difficult than the first one.

Also, I'd like to say that I will acknowledge the bots are much much worse than I thought. I don't remember them being nearly this idiotic in the original title, but the bot last night was absolutely useless.

The demo seemed easy, but the retail game seems much more difficult than the first one.

Also, I'd like to say that I will acknowledge the bots are much much worse than I thought. I don't remember them being nearly this idiotic in the original title, but the bot last night was absolutely useless.

The Gamers with Jobs podcast last week had a feature on the difficulty, based off an article that Joystiq did on it earlier. Comparisons with the PC version seem to suggest that something went wrong when balancing the 360 version (which was handled by a different company this time apparently - last time it was Bungie?)

The Gamers with Jobs podcast last week had a feature on the difficulty, based off an article that Joystiq did on it earlier. Comparisons with the PC version seem to suggest that something went wrong when balancing the 360 version (which was handled by a different company this time apparently - last time it was Bungie?)

It wasn't Bungie, but rather Certain Affinity.

The company was founded by a few ex-Bungie employees, though.

Out of interest... the Aussie version of this was heavily censored. Does that mean I can only play against people with the same version, or can I plan with people from around the world?

Yea I'm pleased the game isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. It's actually harder than the first title(Damn you spitter in versus mode!). Thank goodness for that. :cool: I'm playing on PC btw.

And yea like I've been saying and any experienced L4D player will tell you, the bots are stupid, always have been and according to some are actually more stupid in the second game. Their only benefit is that they have good aim and can see infected through foliage but for everything else like keeping pace with the group and helping teammates in need humans are better.

Back