Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have given the PS3 version the edge based on slightly better reflection quality. Bloom seems to be missing in a few parts on the 360 and is generally higher quality on the PS3 as well

The boat scene? The bloom on PS3 there blows out to white faster. Some of the individual light shafts poking through the clouds in that scene are overpowered by the higher brightness on PS3 (it just becomes a haze over the majority of the scene).

DF kinda put their foot in it by concluding that the stadium lights were removed for performance reasons when it was just a bug. Judging by DF's own comparison gallery I might have given the PS3 version the edge based on slightly better reflection quality. Bloom seems to be missing in a few parts on the 360 and is generally higher quality on the PS3 as well. I gather performance is better on average for the 360 version.

are you sure about that?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8117/1280x11.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8909/1280x1.jpg

imo it's only less blurry

What's the problem - i just want to get the superior version and here there is a clear verdict.
Also , maybe i'm wrong but i don't remember you feeling unpleasant whenever the nod was the other way ..

Correct me If I'm wrong but I don't remember a single 360 fanboy who to feel unplesant of this, or criticize that, is that the same coincidence? :devilish:
I just said we really need a person who said absolutely what is it the superior version from what reason precisely? Know the pro & versus don't give enough data to evaluate what is it the best version :???: To me isn't necessary, because technical wise not have sense everytime said something 'we give the nod to...' even when we talking in favour of ps3 version, yes kodus. but 360 fanboy are too much frustated about the perception of the people about ps3 hardware superiority campaign who they need to read otherwise in every face off? Come on now... I think 360 version was better, just for the high buffer reflection (something DF even not mentioned, I f I'm not wrong; ps3 used low buffer reflection masked with a smart use of FXAA, but in the level of dance disco, FXAA not works with the light & the reflection on the ps3 appears pretty ugly & jaggies), just to be clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me If I'm wrong but I don't remember a single 360 fanboy who to feel unplesant of this, or criticize that, is that the same coincidence? :devilish:
I just said we really need a person who said absolutely what is it the superior version from what reason precisely? Know the pro & versus don't give enough data to evaluate what is it the best version :???: To me isn't necessary, because technical wise not have sense everytime said something 'we give the nod to...' even when we talking in favour of ps3 version, yes kodus. but 360 fanboy are too much frustated about the perception of the people about ps3 hardware superiority campaign who they need to read otherwise in every face off? Come on now... I think 360 version was better, just for the high buffer reflection (something DF even not mentioned, I f I'm not wrong; ps3 used low buffer reflection masked with a smart use of FXAA, but in the level of dance disco, FXAA not works with the light & the reflection on the ps3 appears pretty ugly & jaggies), just to be clear.

Assuming I'm understanding you right, you think "360 fanboys" are hanging on DF face off articles because they are frustrated with the perception that the ps3 is more powerful? lol

Seriously dude, you're taking these face offs a bit too serious. It's only the soldiers of either console that believe either console has a commanding lead. Both create equally good looking games, so I'm not so sure why these posts are even necessary.

Assuming I'm understanding you right, you think "360 fanboys" are hanging on DF face off articles because they are frustrated with the perception that the ps3 is more powerful? lol

Seriously dude, you're taking these face offs a bit too serious. It's only the soldiers of either console that believe either console has a commanding lead. Both create equally good looking games, so I'm not so sure why these posts are even necessary.

Well it was just sarcarsm, no more; I'm not taking face off too serious, I just said what I'm thinking about the article: a good job ruined to the final part imho, this is why I'm so critic about this.

I just wish they'd do a little summary in bullet points of the differences between each version. Sometimes when i'm in a rush I don't to read the entire article just to get an answer about which version is better at what. Some of the article authors too I actually abhor their writing style, but then that's something I'd say about Eurogamer in general.

On the flip side, they're nicely informative pieces and it's good to have them rather than not. As they save me money when games turn out really badly, running really crappily on one or both versions.

Kudos to Rockstar for bringing that gap closer than ever on their engine though.

Keep in mind that MP3 wasn't done by Rockstar North, but it does look like Rockstar Vancouver have made some rather... disparate choices.

I'm sorry but the hypocrisy in your post is hilarious. You condemn those who believes the console of their choice has a commanding lead "in another word their personal opinion" to be fanboyism, yet conveniently trying to convince others that your own opinion is the benchmark. Personally I believe these consoles may have similar powers but the best looking games they produce respectively are definitely not on equal footing.

Well it was just sarcarsm, no more; I'm not taking face off too serious, I just said what I'm thinking about the article: a good job ruined to the final part imho, this is why I'm so critic about this.

Sorry didn't see the sarcasm. Still don't understand why giving a final verdict now is bothering you when you never mentioned it before.

Keep in mind that MP3 wasn't done by Rockstar North, but it does look like Rockstar Vancouver have made some rather... disparate choices.

Care to elaborate? Curious to what you mean.

Though I'm sure it would help if I actually read the article lol

I'm sorry but the hypocrisy in your post is hilarious. You condemn those who believes the console of their choice has a commanding lead "in another word their personal opinion" to be fanboyism, yet conveniently trying to convince others that your own opinion is the benchmark. Personally I believe these consoles may have similar powers but the best looking games they produce respectively are definitely not on equal footing.

Sorry but your biased opinion has no place in this thread.

This is all moving too much OT anyways.

I haven't read it myself, but there are some glaring issues with a number of edges on the 360.

I mentioned it briefly in the image quality thread, but they may be rendering the lighting/normals/depth at a lower resolution and merging that with a 720p material pass (with FXAA) - there are some edges that I've seen that look 1:1 (unlit), but it's a really weird thing.

Actually, the alpha textures (foliage/hair) are better implemented on 360, but that's something else.

It's a bit remniscient of Volition's Inferred Lighting, though they do the normals/depth/lighting at a lower resolution, no AA, and do the material pass at 720p 2x.

It's pretty bizarre... I doubt Rockstar is going to come out and tell us, unfortunately. :p

Sorry didn't see the sarcasm. Still don't understand why giving a final verdict now is bothering you when you never mentioned it before.

Sorry but your biased opinion has no place in this thread.

This is all moving too much OT anyways.

I assure to you it's not the first time I have mentioned how bad it's that part of the final verdict in the face off article (not every time), if I remember right the first time I critize that the verdict was even in favour of the ps3 version... by the way I don't understand what's wrong to said this or why every time I'm not saying something in favour of 360 the conversation leads to how much fanboy I'm just for that ... :???: Not I remember a single time here where I screw the 360 hardware for something... I can't say the same thing of ps3 for a lot of people here, but I think it's legitimed with reasons sometimes...

The reason that a verdict is rendered on which is the overall better version in these comparisons is that the audience, for various reasons, want to see it. As a content creator/distributor you give your audience what they want. I don't see the harm in it myself. It's not like you would be preventing fanboy arguments by leaving it out; they would just find other ammo to use. And as consumer information, if you have both consoles it's useful to know which version is going to be the least inferior to the PC version. :p

The boat scene? The bloom on PS3 there blows out to white faster. Some of the individual light shafts poking through the clouds in that scene are overpowered by the higher brightness on PS3 (it just becomes a haze over the majority of the scene).

Seems like a missing effect on the 360 version. You can tell they intentionally set the intensity of the light higher and blur it out to simulate volumetric light. There are other scenes where this is actually present on the 360 and it looks like the PS3 version.

I haven't read it myself, but there are some glaring issues with a number of edges on the 360.

I mentioned it briefly in the image quality thread, but they may be rendering the lighting/normals/depth at a lower resolution and merging that with a 720p material pass (with FXAA) - there are some edges that I've seen that look 1:1 (unlit), but it's a really weird thing.

Actually, the alpha textures (foliage/hair) are better implemented on 360, but that's something else.

It's a bit remniscient of Volition's Inferred Lighting, though they do the normals/depth/lighting at a lower resolution, no AA, and do the material pass at 720p 2x.

It's pretty bizarre... I doubt Rockstar is going to come out and tell us, unfortunately. :p

That's probably what I noticed when I mentioned the reflections, though now I see it's pervasive throughout the image. If it's the FXAA blur pattern, then it makes all the detail in the scene look like it was upscaled poorly. It certainly does look like it's using lower res normals, lighting, and reflections.

Personally I believe these consoles may have similar powers but the best looking games they produce respectively are definitely not on equal footing.
This horse has been beaten to a fine pulp already.

Does anyone know if either version of Max Payne 3 has less noticeable pop-in? I recently completed it on PS3 and there was a staggering amount of pop-in, especially during the real-time cutscenes.

This horse has been beaten to a fine pulp already.

Does anyone know if either version of Max Payne 3 has less noticeable pop-in? I recently completed it on PS3 and there was a staggering amount of pop-in, especially during the real-time cutscenes.

I finished it on 360, and I never saw ANY pop-ins. :oops:

Seems like a missing effect on the 360 version.
The differences might just come down to the buffer format and also how they handle gamma lighting rather than just being a missing effect - leading to differences in the bloom at particular values.

e.g. RGBM vs FP10 vs RGBA8 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back