Bitboys acceleon released

Cool thanks for the heads up! :D

I'm really interested in seeing performance figures and how this line compares to the PowerVR MBX line.

Interesting, lets see if they'll get any design wins in the near future.

cu

incurable

PS: Breaking News: Hell froze over today. ;)

and here comes the full press release:

( http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7099 )

BITBOYS OY ANNOUNCES ACCELEON(tm.) FAMILY OF GRAPHICS PROCESSORS

ESPOO, FINLAND - JULY 28, 2003 - Bitboys Oy announces the availability of Acceleon(tm.), a family of graphics processors for mobile- and embedded devices. Acceleon(tm.), as a family of IP core solutions, provides a performance and feature set that is targeted toward various handheld devices, including mobile phones, PDAs and entertainment devices.

Acceleon Visual Platform(tm.) serves as the foundation for the use of Acceleon(tm.) graphics hardware. As an optimized, turnkey software/hardware solution, Acceleon Visual Platform(tm.) provides full compatibility with graphics API standards such as an early version of OpenGL® ES, while providing varying levels of performance based on the Acceleon(tm.) graphics processor core used.

The Acceleon(tm.) family of graphics processors consists of the following products:

Acceleon G10(tm.) - As the basis for all subsequent members of the Acceleon(tm.) family, this processor provides hardware acceleration of vector- and 3D-graphics content. The G10(tm.) core is the perfect solution for volume-market embedded devices, accelerating the visual user interface graphics and highly interactive, real-time gaming content.

Acceleon G20(tm.) - A graphics processor for handheld gaming, interactive wireless applications and user interface acceleration. The G20(tm.) core provides a complete feature set for 3D graphics rendering, while retaining full backwards compatibility with Acceleon G10(tm.). Provided are features such as textured triangle rendering, pixel color processing, shading, texture filtering and image anti-aliasing.

Acceleon G30(tm.) - A state-of-the-art 3D graphics processor for handheld devices, providing performance and scalability for even the most demanding mobile games and applications. The G30(tm.) graphics processor supports all industry standard graphics APIs, including an early version of OpenGL® ES 1.0. Support of graphics standards provides a safe, solid platform for application developers. Cross-platform applications and games can be executed with high frame rates and with superb image quality.

Acceleon(tm.) supports an advanced hardware anti-aliasing system that provides no performance penalty when enabled. This advanced feature significantly enhances the quality of all applications on the Acceleon(tm.) platform, a feature especially noticeable on the low-resolution displays typically found on mobile devices.

As the only solution to provide hardware acceleration for vector graphics, Acceleon(tm.) is in a class by itself. "Acceleon Visual Platform(tm.) provides the most complete rendering solution for mobile devices today. With a unique feature set that is simply unmatched by others, Acceleon(tm.) is the solution for mobile rendering needs." Says Petri Nordlund, CTO of Bitboys Oy.

Acceleon Visual Platform(tm.) is able to utilize any one of the Acceleon(tm.) graphics processors for accelerating graphics rendering by moving the most intensive rendering tasks to dedicated hardware. The unique combination of hardware and software allows for a full product range of handheld devices to be designed with the same graphics functionality, but with variable level of rendering performance.

Bitboys Oy will demonstrate the Acceleon(tm.) cores and technology at the SIGGRAPH 2003 in San Diego, California, during July 29 - 31 (booth #3151).

Acceleon(tm.) is available today for licensing, with further information available at the Acceleon(tm.) website: http://www.acceleon.com. For licensing, please contact us at licensing@acceleon.com.

About Bitboys
Oy Bitboys is a graphics hardware company, focused on the optimization of graphics performance within tight space, power and size constraints. Founded in 1991, with offices in Noormarkku and Espoo in Finland, Bitboys Oy is a boutique design laboratory with a decade of experience in graphics research and hardware development.

Copyright © 2003 Bitboys Oy. All rights reserved. All company and/or product names may be trade names, trademarks and/or registered trademarks of the respective owners with which they are associated. Features, pricing, availability, and specifications are subject to change without notice.

there's quite few interesting key points... :) like availability, anti-aliasing part, etc...

Awhile ago I read that NEC is fabbing and/or using the chips in an upcoming product. There's also the possibility that the next GBA will use some variation of this technology.

Anybody notice the chip supports bezier curves? 8)

PC-Engine said:
Awhile ago I read that NEC is fabbing and/or using the chips in an upcoming product. There's also the possibility that the next GBA will use some variation of this technology.

IMO, the MBX is much more interesting for the next GBA.
(and PowerVR already worked on a console)

PC-Engine said:

Quite trivial to support in software... they don't seem to mention TnL or vertex shader anywhere... just my 2c...

K-

Chalnoth said:
Acceleon(tm.) is available today for licensing
Hehe....doesn't look like they have a fab yet :)
I'm not sure what your trying to assert, or how what you quoted leads to your conclusion.

They sell IP, so they don't necessarily need a fab. And, even if they feel the need to have already ported the IP to a particular fab as value add, I don't see how what you quoted confirms they have or have not done so.

But, that's just my off topic comments. ;)

Best software- and hardware solutions for full graphics visualization.

Please tell me that the highlighted part does not in fact involve 3rd party drivers; especially with embedded devices that sounds rather difficult to a layman like me.

Nappe1 said:
Waiting for Assembly seminars with great interest. :)

BB is going to be at the Assembly? I'm not going to make it this year, so I assume that you will keep me and rest of the gang up to date ;)

Back