[PS3] Killzone 2

Yeah in Pyrrhus Rise (the open desert map), you can pick off enemies relatively easily off the bridge and high rises. I'd imagine the turrets would also get quite a bit of kills there because their coverage is higher when deployed in high ground ?
Yes but the area is wide open which is disadvantage ... Because if the area is wide open turret shoots whoever it notices , instead of focusing on one enemy ... And placing turrets in open areas make them vulnerable , enemy snipers can shoot them even from the other side of the map ...
Gah... I forgot Medics can heal themselves this way. May be most are saving the packs for themselves ? (And then they can heal other people as long as the medics are alive).
Maybe , but if I'm not mistaken medics have infinite health packs ...

Yes, it came out yesterday.

Edit:
Quick review: I liked both maps, both maps are simple to navigate. Vecta cruiser is really small, too small to play with the number of players we played with (~20), it was pure chaos. The wasteland bullet was funnier with larger areas, less encounters and a quite a few sudden death occuring when trying to jump between the trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's up with the clan? I somewhat get the feeling I'm the only active member in it (at least, accoarding to the weekly rankings and achievments).

Anyone else interested in joining? If we could get 4 people online at a time, maybe we could even attempt a first clan match...

I have been on holiday for two weeks. I'm back now, though have just bought the full band kit guitar hero to distract me from Killzone ;) But if you post here or in the beyond3d room when you're going to have a session I may well join.

So what's up with the clan? I somewhat get the feeling I'm the only active member in it (at least, accoarding to the weekly rankings and achievments).

Anyone else interested in joining? If we could get 4 people online at a time, maybe we could even attempt a first clan match...

I might be interested, what hours for matches are we talkning about. I live in GMT+2 so if the rest of you are in US it would be a problem.

I have reached the rank of general played around 80 games onlie but I only have the secondary ability for medic and tactitian unlocked.

It would be fun to play more as a team becouse the warzone matches open for everyone are just too caothic, especially when tactitians from both teams put spawn markers at the same location.

Arwin,

That's great. I haven't been online much in the Beyond3d forum (more to do with leisure of opening it everytime I sign into PSN), but I'll make sure to make an effort. Would be fun to get the ball rollin' again!

rendezvous,

Perfect, I'm GMT+2 as well as seem most of the others from what I gather. I'll add you to my friends list. Perhaps you can give me a shout if you find me online or just join the games I'm playing. I usually stick to the ranked 4 vs 4 games with all the missions.

Don't worry about the 2nd abilities. I don't have many unlocked either, but can play with all the classes. Usually tactician or sniper. :)

I have been playing on and off, trying to get my Major rank yesterday afternoon. Don't bother looking for my ranking online :) I'm like 303,000+ the last time I checked.

I usually play around GMT-8 7:00pm during weekdays.

This was a small game, 2 on 2.

How did you figure that 2 on 2 on what are basically 16 player maps is somehow a good idea?

The maps are not set up for these "small games", no wonder you can't find people to shoot and end up being all miserable about it. There are 16 players rooms, just like there are 24 players rooms, they're not hard to find.

This was a small game, 2 on 2. The only other option appears to be 16 vs 16 as everyone creates default-sized 32 player matches, which is way too hectic. And I have yet to find a server that doesn't allow in higher ranks than oneself. Selecting matches of my rank, everyone can be of the order of Sergeant class, whatever the Medic rank is, and then high-rank player will join and start throwing in cloaked snipers and the like. The lobby thing is extremely poor, unless I'm missing a whole part of the lobby system. Is there any way to find details on a game? Like the minimum rank? I've seen games listed only to be told I can't join them. Ummm, why list them for me then?! I cannot see anywhere that describes level selections, times, kills, limits, etc. That's why people name their servers after options, "100kills 25mins".

Shifty,

I understand completely where you're coming from, though I also think what you are criticising in KZ2 is not much different than what any player has to go through when getting into a new multiplayer FPS and not swimming on the first wave. I felt the same way when I started playing RFOM and used to be a noob battling against endless supreme commanders. I didn't know the maps, had trouble getting the important headshots and as a result ran around like a headless chicken without much strategic thinking.

I went through the same process with CoD5, though it was somewhat better there, since I got the game relatively early and was able to level up with others of similar skill.

KillZone2 is more like RFOM again. Got the game relatively late and with so many people already playing the beta and knowing the ins and out of the game, it wasn't going to be easy. As a result, my K/D ratio sunk to the bottom and I needed quite a bit of stubborness to get into the game and keep playing (and learning).

After spending a lot of time with KZ2 online, I'm convinced it's one of the best online experiences outthere, if you're willing to master it and exploit the fine details that set this game apart from others. It's not flawless, but it has a whole lot more to offer than you're currently seeing (which is clear, given that you're still at the beginning).

IMO, you should stay out of the larger games (16v16) and focus on smaller ones. 2 vs 2 is too small and as Kittonwy says, not really optimal for the game, especially when you don't know the levels well. I found my sweet spot in 4 vs 4 matches and usually play them with default settings: Ranked, custom-badges, usually friendly fire enabled, all missions and usually maps such as Tharsis Depot, Radec, Corinth Crossing and Blood Gracht. The thing with these games (and they're easy to find by using the filter) is, that it's less of a hectic chaotic (sometimes laggy) shoot-out, but a lot more strategic and team work involved. Because you're only at max 4 in a team, everyone has to work together to beat the other team, forcing each and everyone to do their part in securing victory. Since they're less enemies, you're less likely to walk into enemy fire every 5 seconds and get a chance to learn the maps and find strategic vantage points. You're also less likely to be shot by random cloaked snipers because if there are any, he's probably alone and you can avoid him on your retry.

Even if your team gets pushed back to the home-base (as it often happens in the 16vs16 games when one team gets the upper hand) and are getting choked, chances are that with the start of the new mission (assasin, S&R, S&D) you'll be able to get out and the game will level out again.

shifty said:
The medics seem broken. I rarely get healed, and when I am its in the middle of a blood bath where I get killed straight away. I am unable to heal comrade myself 90% of the time. It appears the healing shot needs to be administered to the torso from fairly close range. I invariably get killed in the attempt to resurrect someone. I haven't once managed 5 resurrections in a game, so will never get the health-pack drop, unless that's all I set out to. And as I've never seen anyone drop health-packs, I guess no-one's unlocked it! Slugges my way to Engineer only to find the shotgun limit, forcing the character to play aggressive as the shotgun can't kill anything more than 3 yards away, at least when I shoot it. The Repair secondary ability sounds good on paper, but needing 8x 5 kills per round with sentry guns seems incredibly unlikely. Perhaps this expalins why I never see anyone repairing gun-points, because this is another skill most people miss?

I know what you mean about the shotgun. It's by far my most hated weapon and simply because at times, I get killed from 10 yards away even though I'm firing like a maniac at him. And when I use it myself, I can't seem to be able to kill a thing.

After many hours of thinking about it though, I think I found the solution to *our* dilemma:

For one, shotguns are extremely effectiv when pointed at the head. Even from a far distance you can take one down, though depending on the distance and health, a single shot might not be enough.

Then there's another thing. When you first take damage, your character *never* heals back to the 100% you start of after respawning. Once you take damage, ~75% is what you get. This is why you're sometimes quicker death when walking into an encounter and seem to have the upper hand but still end up getting killed. This only applies for all classes except assault. Assault starts off with 200% (because they wear armor) and after taking damage, they heal to 100%.

Shotguns are usually effective up close. Don't run into one shooting one - it's effectively a one-shot-kill up close. Try to take them from far.

EDIT:
One of the other annoying things (when used against me) are sentry-bots/turrets. These things can really make a huge difference to the outcome of a battle. When playing as engineer, set them up in good places. Anywhere is good and you can use the to find cloaked snipers or enemy players sneeking past. Stay close to your bots because once they start firing, you know you're not alone! Look at them to see where they're firing and make your move (but also watch your back). Sometimes, it's also extremely effective to have the bot weaken your enemy and then finish him with a single-shot-gun-shot from afar. Or set them up in a cross-fire position. Also note that these bots can kill enemies with a single-shot to the head when set up correctly. You can influence this by placing your bot in certain places, like i.e. high above or below. Learn from others and take note!

As for weapons - use the default weapon (the first in the list). It's a great rifle and will get you through practically any situation and against any class or skill. Also, when firing the rifle, don't hold to fire but only always fire short quick burst. Much more effective and futile. You'll see that when firing like this, you're likely to have less bullet spray and more hits. Also note that when moving, you're weapon is less acurate. This means, even though you might be pointing your gun at him, you're accuracy will take a hit. If you croutch, you have even better accuracy. Keep this in mind when attempting to take one down long range!

Shifty said:
KZ2 is for me a game of considerable frustration and little entertainment. Unlike Warhawk that had a frustrating learning curve but which eventually showed its worth, not least because the servers are more selective, KZ2 seems to lack any potential. Too much is given over to chance - what server you get, what the lag will be, what rank other players will be, if your team has the strong players or not. It's bound to end up on eBay before too long, and I can chalk the loss up to experience and a lesson learnt : do not venture outside one's gaming comfort zone!

Well, I hope this helps somewhat. I know what you mean about lag and it can be quite annoying or just plain frustrating at times. The good news is (at least for me) is that it's better with the smaller games to the point I'd call it a non-issue. I usually remain very selective in the games I play. If it's not getting you anywhere, just leave it and find another one. You should also be able to tick a box in the filter called "My rank only". This ensures that the games you play are of players of the same rank. Chances are though that you may only find very small and very large games. There are "open rank" games too with players of all ranks, but they're hard to find.

In any case, don't be intimidated by the amount of stars your opponent has. And even if you're battling players with all the maxxed out classes, cloaked snipers or annoying assaulters with scary rocket launchers - all you really need, is the standard rifle, good knowlege of the maps and a bit of skill to be able to take them all down. Outsmart them, outflank them.

The one and only thing that you may need sooner or later that will give you an advantage is the M4 revolver. It's not a necessity but is extremely effective long range and when out of ammo.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boost does not regenerate health... Boost only makes things happen faster... You can run faster , place a turret faster or your health regenerates itself faster... That's all...

Boost regenerates MY health. If I'm left at half health, activating boost will bring it back to full after a little while. I believe one of the tip screens even mention this.

I'm not much of an assault player, but keyn is correct - boost doesn't regenerate, it only makes things happen quicker. Boost will not make your health regenerate over what it would if you don't use it. As I mentioned it up - normal classes regenerate to about 75%, assault back to 100% (but without the armour). Boost makes this quicker.

I'm pretty sure it also states this in the FAQ on gamefaqs.com

I'm not much of an assault player, but keyn is correct - boost doesn't regenerate, it only makes things happen quicker. Boost will not make your health regenerate over what it would if you don't use it. As I mentioned it up - normal classes regenerate to about 75%, assault back to 100% (but without the armour). Boost makes this quicker.

I'm pretty sure it also states this in the FAQ on gamefaqs.com
Yeah, just tested the classes. Keyn was right. I didn' realize assault class regenerates to 100% with or without boost (I don't play assault class much).

I have to say, I find it hugely annoying how the in-game statistics display their information. Kills aren't always kills, as headshots give 2 points (with the medal), so you can't take your K/D ratio during the game for granted since it's most likely less...

I like KZ2. The only problem for me is the long session. Each Warzone session consists of 7 battles. I have to stay for all 7 to get my loot.

I am jumping in and out of games these days, so I don't get much reward. In comparison, it's extremely easy for me to join tha_con's R2 games on Thursday occasionally, and be rewarded instantly.

Have you Euro guys played any clan battle yet (GAF or B3D) ? I'd like to know who's in GAF so I can join in via the Friend invite/join mechanism.

I like KZ2. The only problem for me is the long session. Each Warzone session consists of 7 battles. I have to stay for all 7 to get my loot.

I am jumping in and out of games these days, so I don't get much reward. In comparison, it's extremely easy for me to join tha_con's R2 games on Thursday occasionally, and be rewarded instantly.

Have you Euro guys played any clan battle yet (GAF or B3D) ? I'd like to know who's in GAF so I can join in via the Friend invite/join mechanism.

I completely agree. Is there no other way for us to get rewarded for online play??

May be choose a server that doesn't play every mode? If you don't mind it, there are plenty of body count only servers, which I guess is also the easiest mode to get points fast.

My only major complaint about the online is I can't see many server settings before joining. I don't mind playing 16vs16 (I kind of like the chaos actually), but there are certain settings which I prefer. Hope this can be patched before long.

May be choose a server that doesn't play every mode? If you don't mind it, there are plenty of body count only servers, which I guess is also the easiest mode to get points fast.

I see. But the rewarding should be independent of the available game modes. If I played in a round, I should be rewarded fairly.

My only major complaint about the online is I can't see many server settings before joining. I don't mind playing 16vs16 (I kind of like the chaos actually), but there are certain settings which I prefer. Hope this can be patched before long.

Yeah, I hear many complains about this. It doesn't bother me personally because I just want a quick game, but I think it's essential for regular gaming.

patsu - are you sure you don't get the rewards? I got kicked out of a game a few times while playing on the weekend due to some problems with PSN and I'm fairly sure I was rewarded the points that I achieved in the time I played. Obviously, I didn't receive the 1.5 bonus, but I'm fairly sure the kills/deaths were counted.

I can see both pros and cons in what you are asking for. The cons are that people might simply start leaving if the game doesn't suit them and rep the rewards while they still can, making it a worse game for the rest of the participants. Perhaps if you have to complete a mission objective to get the points wouldn't be so bad...

But yeah, perhaps stick to body count games then. By default, they're 5 minutes matches, although most people that only play bodycount games, usually set it to 20 minutes / 100 kills, though it still a lot shorter than battling through 7 mission objectives (the full lot) with each at least 5 minutes length.

Back