Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Some devs have used the MSAA remapping trick so as to have access to those multisamples in order to perform the lighting shader across the entire set of samples. However, in Crytek's case, I gather they are trying to save on that sort of work, so they're only performing the lighting on the half-res target then using the remap to get back up to full res.

I imagine the main artifacting (if not only) will be on edge discontinuities where the two multisamples are different. How it looks in motion is difficult to say. :p

It'll be interesting to see how the temporal AA blending will figure into this.

Fight Night Champion looks like its around 720p 4xMSAA on the 360.

You can definitely see where the extra per-frame budget has gone, now that they're running at 30fps. Some very nice use of object motion-blur, better skin shaders etc.

Fight Night Round 4, by comparison:

Last edited by a moderator:
Their character deformations and shaders are looking really cool now, you can see how every iteration of the game got better and better.

I was kind of wondering if Fight Night had gone 30fps, but to be honest it still feels very good. I don't think the drop was such a bad thing. It's a beautiful looking game.

PS3 version of FN still has QAA? I think MLAA would work great in fighting games (big charcter models, not much thin geometry etc.) :)

PS3 version of FN still has QAA? I think MLAA would work great in fighting games (big charcter models, not much thin geometry etc.) :)
Yes,it definitely would :)
I wonder if they could get 4xMSAA to work on ps3,that would be cool.IMO its still the best AA that you can get on consoles,though very rarely.

It could look worse on stuff that moves slowly. Like on the ring ropes or when your player is standing around waiting to make a move. Slow movements with mlaa would result in pixels crawling on the edges. LBP2 has the same problem, when you are scrolling slowly you can see all kinds of crawling artifacts on the edges. I think mlaa is better suited when things are moving along a bit quicker. 4x Msaa would look nice on the other hand.

I prefer MLAA

Yes,it definitely would :)
I wonder if they could get 4xMSAA to work on ps3,that would be cool.IMO its still the best AA that you can get on consoles,though very rarely.

It is the best image I have seen on consoles like KZ3 and GoW3.

I cannot believe how good it is.

The SPU implementation of MLAA is a class above other implementations I've seen, and it's the best realistically viable AA option for a console, since 4xMSAA is way too costly.

The SPU implementation of MLAA is a class above other implementations I've seen, and it's the best realistically viable AA option for a console, since 4xMSAA is way too costly.
I think it's a priorities thing, I mean, some developers seem to spend so much time worrying over these things, and then applying different kinds of AA in different engines, you admit that some of them are better at it, and people recognize that.

Fallout 3 for instance, featured MSAAx4 and it was based on Oblivion's engine, if I remember correctly. Ubisoft on the 360 always manages to apply AAx4, at least in their racing games. Why some many others don't achieve that level of AA remains a mystery to me.

Maybe I'm just not a big enough jerk to understand the decisions behind the development of some games but while how the game looks is a big consideration for many, I'd venture to say that AA doesn't play a role for many people --while for me, if it isn't applied, the game sometimes loses its appeal.

Fallout 3 for instance, featured MSAAx4 and it was based on Oblivion's engine, if I remember correctly. Ubisoft on the 360 always manages to apply AAx4, at least in their racing games. Why some many others don't achieve that level of AA remains a mystery to me.
Ubisoft doesn't really make any racing games that are worth mentioning, I'm sure you meant Codemasters, right?

Well, Fallout isn't known for its graphics fidelity, because they sacrifice too much polygons/shaders/effects to achieve that 4xMSAA. About Codemasters racing games, it's much easier to find the extra resources to do MSAA in a racer to begin with, even the memory bottlenecked PS3 without EDRAM does 4xMSAA at 720p 60(ish) Hz in GT5.

For console shooters though, 4xMSAA is pretty much a pipe dream.

ya, what I am afraid of, but I will probably wait for DF or PS360 to so a frame analysis on it. Hopefully we will see something really soon.

XB360 seems to have far better lighting/shadowing (not only shadow resolution - easiest to spot example would be 2nd shots selfshadowing from hair etc

Back