Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Seems weird that they crop the images, doesn't give an accurate representation if you're not seeing the whole image.

360 looks clearly like 2xMSAA
35452629.png

PS3:
64481016.png

QAA or custom? It's doing something horrible to the texture. Seems more smooth than what QAA usually does. Though the only decent reference I can find is: http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/Quincunx.jpg

The fifth shot (with the large-racked lady) shows the biggest differences I think, in shadow resolution and overall texture definition.

any update on MvC3, kind of worry about PS3 version when it comes to MT frame work.

No need to worry, the PS3 version runs silky smooth. The only framerate drops happen during the pre-fight animations when the camera slowly pans over all six characters. (which is completely irrelevant to the way the game actually plays obviously) Lovely looking game, even though it isn't quite up there with SFIV in my opinion.

QAA or custom? It's doing something horrible to the texture. Seems more smooth than what QAA usually does. Though the only decent reference I can find is: http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/Quincunx.jpg
Custom, there is no way that 2xMSAA with filter between subsamples does that kind of gradient.
Also the blur/blending is only one pixel in width which is impossible with quincunx.

Here's a simple description on what quincunx does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems weird that they crop the images, doesn't give an accurate representation if you're not seeing the whole image.

360 looks clearly like 2xMSAA
35452629.png

PS3:
64481016.png

Blurried yes, but less blurried of QAA & more efficient :LOL: where curios how work this 'filter'... maybe the same custom AA of the saboteur?
Ok , just tried the demo. Definitely MLAA for sure (shimmering on the edge) on the ps3 but strangely little blurried the texture compared to sony solution...

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, thought it might be MLAA, looks too smooth in some shots, but the game also looks a little washed out overally on ps3 and some contrast/ brightness difference. Hows does the game perform on ps3?

ya, thought it might be MLAA, looks too smooth in some shots, but the game also looks a little washed out overally on ps3 and some contrast/ brightness difference. Hows does the game perform on ps3?

Just been playing the demo on PS3 after trying it on (my admittedly humble) PC, and I must say the PS3 version looks great. It definitely looks to be an MLAA implementation on PS3, the framerate holds up well (mostly solid 30) and the game looks pretty much the same as the PC version (noting that the PC version demo doesn't come with the high res textures). It's actually rather fetching! MLAA really makes a difference here, even though there are a few crawlies, the general image quality is way above your average multi-platform game.

Additionally, this game really plays very, very well with a controller, and is surprisingly fun. I'm enjoying the gameplay already vastly more than anything in Mass Effect 2. I think there is little doubt now that this version was optimised for consoles to be honest. I'm impressed. I may actually want to get this game (if I figure out how to kill the troll the second time in the demo that is, though I already got aeons closer in the PS3 version than in the PC version ... )

Zoomed in from the gamersyde copy. I hate compression, so eh. You folks want something, you got it. *shrug*

9/10 -> 1152 (see attached)

As I explained in the game thread, the frame blend AA is present in the video as well, so this was a capture when the camera was moving at the start of the video.

I did check for 9 and 18 pixels, but the ratios didn't agree. (8/9 then 15/18) Also checked a few other common ratios, but nothing that made sense. Couldn't get enough steps to check 20 pixels to partially confirm 18/20, but oh well. I'm not inclined to do much more with such shoddy material, and parity sounds about right anyhow.

People talking about how smooth the video looks or how superior the AA is should probably consider the compression.

Attachments

• C2_PS3.png
    C2_PS3.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 44
Sometimes I can't understand Mazinger's comments :D So IQ should be similar to MGS4, no? Maybe bit worse, MGS4 runs in 1024x768 with TAA.

So 1152x720 for 360 (or has it been confirmed yet?) and 1024x720 for PS3? That's not too much of a difference (like CoD:BO)... hopefully the PS3 version doesn't look that much softer. Will be interesting to see the other differences.

So 1152x720 for 360 (or has it been confirmed yet?) and 1024x720 for PS3? That's not too much of a difference (like CoD:BO)... hopefully the PS3 version doesn't look that much softer. Will be interesting to see the other differences.

I am curious too. They claimed that they were getting more out of the PS3 some time ago than the 360. But the final result might be much different than the initial claim

I am curious too. They claimed that they were getting more out of the PS3 some time ago than the 360. But the final result might be much different than the initial claim

Results change as time goes and research/development is done. Also becouse res is lower doesn't mean it is worse in other aspects. It might do better, who knows to little footage.

When I read the impressions from a B3D member(forgot his name starts with an 'A') a while back about how the ps3 compares to the 360 I knew it would not end good for ps3. At least they got one console version looking good, that all that matters for me. Haze also had a 1024 horizontal rez.

As Nebula said, it may not all be bad for the PS3 version. I think it's best to wait for the DF article.

Plus we don't even know how much of a noticeable difference the resolution makes.

I hope it's just an error because 1024x720p it's really disappointing... very low res on the ps3, how he can said seem identical? The blurried in The vanquish it's really evident, I don't believe on Crysis 2 could change something...

Back