Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Ah, here's an article that's clearer regarding the 360 texture issues: http://www.gamersmint.com/xbox-360-version-skyrim-has-texture-loading-issues

Weird........ So the installation is worse. :???: Maybe they haven't optimized at all for HDD install (ala Halo 3) i.e. the game normally accesses the disc and HDD cache, but installed, it's trying to access both spots, which are now on the HDD-only. (Come on Beth, it's 2011 ffs :p)

Sorry about the confusion.
I am still confused. Are you sure that article isn't "old"? I mean, that's what people thought initially, that the uninstalled game performed better than when you installed it on the Xbox 360 hard drive.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/60910056?page=13

But, judging from this video, it turns out to be the opposite. :???:

Maybe it's just that there is a rendering bug on the Xbox 360 whether you install the game to the hard drive or not.

I am still confused. Are you sure that article isn't "old"? I mean, that's what people thought initially, that the uninstalled game performed better than when you installed it on the Xbox 360 hard drive.

Possibly. The posted date says Nov 8 though.

But, judging from this video, it turns out to be the opposite. :???:

Maybe it's just that there is a rendering bug on the Xbox 360 whether you install the game to the hard drive or not.

yeah... that does confuse things. :???:

Maybe they used SL DVD (like in F3), se they don't have more room for textures (3GB + DRM?) on 360.

No, these textures are horrible. Not only that but the proper textures load up when the bug isn't in effect and they seem on par with the ps3 version. If what you were saying is true, we wouldn't see any good textures load up at all on the 360 version.

Would the 3.8GB size fit on a single layer anyways?

Can't really analyze the downscaled image, but there is something funky going on with the PS3's clarity. I'll have to wait for DF or someone else to send me proper 720p captures.

The PS3 is definitely getting overexposed and washed out though, usually a sign of LDR.

Can't really analyze the downscaled image, but there is something funky going on with the PS3's clarity. I'll have to wait for DF or someone else to send me proper 720p captures.

The PS3 is definitely getting overexposed and washed out though, usually a sign of LDR.

Here the best ps3 capture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFKaGesC1c
anyway isn't the only funky thing on the ps3, reposting my previous link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evJKLsJnwks
pretty ot but in the link better captured, the fps evidence more the stuttering ... I can't believe it's just caused to the capture...

No, these textures are horrible. Not only that but the proper textures load up when the bug isn't in effect and they seem on par with the ps3 version. If what you were saying is true, we wouldn't see any good textures load up at all on the 360 version.

Would the 3.8GB size fit on a single layer anyways?

3.5 GB installed on HDD for French version. Don't think that's be different for others languages?

The res it's the same, almost 'guaranteed'. ps3 probably use a post AA custom solution which blurrish the IQ.
hm... yeah, so it looks like the PC version has an FXAA option, which would make it the likely choice on PS3 given what we've seen.

well what about textures?i notice textures are better on 360 in this video,thats opposite from the german site video

Probably just the nature of it being buggy.

hm... yeah, so it looks like the PC version has an FXAA option, which would make it the likely choice on PS3 given what we've seen.

Things that stand out to me on first view are no AA is whenever there are transparency effects going on on the PS3 (like the fire), while the 360 version does not seem to have any AA on the water edges. Lack of shadow movement from the fire on PS3 could be a similar sacrifice to the transparency.

Things that stand out to me on first view are no AA is whenever there are transparency effects going on on the PS3 (like the fire), while the 360 version does not seem to have any AA on the water edges.

Sounds like they do the FXAA pass before adding in transparencies, though it could just be a failed detection. *shrug*

As for the water edges, well, we all know how easy it is to break MSAA resolves. Looks like they'd need custom AA resolve or shader AA to fix this up given how the water is rendered.

I find it a bit curious that they don't even use alpha to coverage for the foliage, given that they use 4xMSAA.

Lack of shadow movement from the fire on PS3 could be a similar sacrifice to the transparency.

hm... odd. The cages aren't moving, so the only way the shadows would shift like that is if the light were jittering i.e. it's static on ps3. Would have to do more investigating in other spots with shadow casting light sources...

Now that you talk about transparencies, I've seen a lot of screenshots of the game, and I wonder if there are any differences in the northern lights -the so called aurora borealis- between versions, because they seem to be transparency heavy, and they look like god rays in a way, too.

Regarding to the shadows from the cage, I thought I noticed a slight movement on the character's body. It was a very low res shadow and subtle movement, you really have to stick your face in front of it to notice it. But yes, at least one shadow casting light source is dynamic.

One curious thing is how blurred and filtered out the 360's shadow buffers are, compared to the PC and PS3 versions. Is that perhaps to mask the fact that it's using especially low-resolution shadows on the 360 version?

Did the PS3 version of Fallout 3 use LDR also? Because Fallout 3's bloom effects look very similar to those screens.

Funny thing is, I almost find the PS3 version's bloom and exposure effects more appealing (to my eyes). Yes, you can say that it washes out some details, but bloom and HDR usually tend to have that effect anyway (when cranked up to a high enough degree).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the PS3 version of Fallout 3 use LDR also? Because Fallout 3's bloom effects look very similar to those screens.
I believe so. The PC version's "HDR" option looked fairly different when it was doing the tonemapping stuff, or at least, it was much more limited on console, and even here I see very little in dynamic range. They went a bit overboard with the sky lighting IIRC. Skyrim so far seems quite a bit different in the art style there.

Funny thing is, I thought the PS3 version's bloom and overexposure effects looked better and more appealing (to my eyes) than those 360 screens, LDR or not.
Amusing, but not the point of the thread or tech discussion. *shrug*

Yes, you can say that it washes out some details, but bloom and HDR effects usually tend to have that effect anyway.
Somehow I don't think you're getting the point of what HDR is for... or at least proper HDR rendering. The lighting shouldn't stay overexposed and washed out; it just ruins the textures and well... the scene. The bloom shouldn't be a bleeding mess either.

About PS3 and shadows in Skyrim my friend reported that they are moving when he is in 3rd person view, but are static in 1st person :p

Back