Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry, no games here except CS1.6.
Btw, this card has peak bandwidth of 76GB/s compared to 4870's 115GB/s, but higher Peak flops ( 1.36 Tflops ). But this is the card to get as it supports OpenCL and CS 5.0 too. :smile:

AMD never stopped using the RVxxx names and:

RV840 = Juniper - HD5700
RV830 = Redwood - HD5600
RV810 = Cedar - HD5400

amd1.jpg

amd2.jpg

Which model numbers you mean? the 80386, 80486 etc? As far as I know, yes they did

Yea, I think it was because they couldn't trademark a number (clones from IBM/AMD/Cyrix/NEC/etc could also use the same model numbers), so they gave the 586 the name Pentium.
Something to that effect anyway.

Which model numbers you mean? the 80386, 80486 etc? As far as I know, yes they did

not really. I think Charlie did an article about their current project naming scheme back at l'inq.

They couldn't market i586, but there's nothing wrong with using 80586 internally

Edit: Ahh.. it was by Nebojsa!
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1046291/intel-uses-numbers-name-cpus

Instead of asking an Intel guy for a Core 2 Extreme QX 9650 3 GHz FSB1333 CPU, simply ask for 80569XJ080. He should know exactly what you want, with far fewer bytes or words.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1046291/intel-uses-numbers-name-cpus

The nostalgic souls among our readers can enjoy it: all the numbers are still there. And, for simple minds, 80563 will always be clearly better than 80562, not to mention 80574 outshining them all.

If you look at ES' you will see the 80XXX numbers on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you should. My point isn't that it's ssoooo great that AMD seems to have a really healthy margin built into the 58xx cards. My point is that if the GT300 products are a good chunk faster - so what? It only really matters if they're a good chunk faster and *just as affordable*. Or at the very least, more expensive in proportion to the performance boost. The size and cost of the 58xx cards seems to indicate that, over the coming months, they have a lot of room to really come down the cost curve if they want to.

This time, G300 is launching after the competition. It's not like Nvidia doesn't know the price and performance of their competitors parts. Last time, they dropped their prices on the 280 and 260 very very soon after the 4870 / 4850 were launched, and even provided refunds through their card vendors. My point is, Nvidia is not going to commit retail suicide. They will price the card based on it's relative performance to it's nearest competitors. That's today's market reality, I would argue that they have no other choice. Discussions about how AMD will inevitably have this amazing price advantage do not seem to take this pricing history into account. Regardless of die sizes, yields, etc. etc., Nvidia will launch a product that is viable in the market, they have never done otherwise (or at least never failed to adjust prices quickly to keep with the current market).

AMD knows this, and will probably be OK with being just a little ahead on the price / perf curve, they're not going to greatly drop prices just because they can to the point where they are cannibalizing their own mid-range market.

As for the prices coming down fast on the high end, from what I'm reading Juniper is going to be pretty fast, and will be the part that really goes for the jugular, perhaps in a way that Nvidia can't respond to fast enough if they stick with a single product launch this year - i.e. if they have no new mid range DX11 part. I'm going to assume that Juniper will totally blow away G92 variants, making its natural competition G200 variants or better, which could be even more expensive for Nvidia. I don't see ATI dropping their high end parts to $200 that quickly - there's just no business reason to do it, unless Nvidia is able to totally bitch slap them on price / perf, which I don't think is too likely.

If Nvidia needs to price their high end parts so that they are price/perf competitive with AMD (at least enough to sell through their parts production), even if it's a 450mm^2+ part, that's doable. Trying to take a big loss on the mainstream parts is what will kill their bottom line, because of the much higher volumes. Personally, I am content to take their subsidized / price reduced high end parts, I don't really care about the mid range ones that much. This is the space where price perf really matters. In the high end I argue that overall performance is what wins, as long as it is not priced outside the realm of reason.

Another point I would make is that despite the excitement over the consumer parts, Nvidia currently makes most of their discrete GPU money in the pro card space. This is how they have funded G200 price parity (and development) despite the die size disadvantage, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. This is why I think Nvidia has the greater appetite for maintaining market share through price cuts in the consumer high end, and arguably a greater willingness or ability to take a loss in the high end consumer GPU space in a price war.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone who makes sense without any traces of fanboy false logic - on an internet forum.

Did I enter the wrong door and end up in a parallel universe?:LOL:

@sethk: I don't know. The first few months post RV770 was good for them in the Pro market, then the R7XX FirePro cards landed and ASPs were nearly halved for the higher models.

Tesla is where they're aiming for now, and they seem to have considerable success with it.

@sethk: I don't know. The first few months post RV770 was good for them in the Pro market, then the R7XX FirePro cards landed and ASPs were nearly halved for the higher models.

Tesla is where they're aiming for now, and they seem to have considerable success with it.

It was a nice post to read though.

Anyway while I agree to your last sentence, it's still a low volume high margin market.

I'll ask again: what would theoretically stand against NV changing its strategy slightly with the next GPU family and concentrate on releasing first the performance/mainstream parts of the family and high end parts later on?

The reviews are conclusive. 5850 decimates gtx285 in current price/perf. Nv will have to drop the price to ~$225 at the minimum. Selling a 450mm2 gpu for $220 will hurt, ouch.

At this rate, it looks increasingly likely that juniper will banish G92 and its namesakes forever. And that is where the most volume lies.

PLLLEEAASE AMD, do something like this with your cpu division too...

The reviews are conclusive. 5850 decimates gtx285 in current price/perf. Nv will have to drop the price to ~$225 at the minimum. Selling a 450mm2 gpu for $220 will hurt, ouch.

At this rate, it looks increasingly likely that juniper will banish G92 and its namesakes forever. And that is where the most volume lies.

PLLLEEAASE AMD, do something like this with your cpu division too...
Who knows with directx 11 new take on multi thread rendering their cheap ~100 Athlon quad cores could do the job reasonably well.

They've been doing that with the GTX260 and GTX275 for a while now, though.

Both of them are salvage parts. Think of it this way, if 285 gets pushed down in price, how deep will their price have to fall?

Back