Burnout: Paradise City

I sometimes wish I could skip the crashes, as you can't do anything except watch a cut-scene your car flip around for a few seconds. It takes me out of the action. Why did they remove aftertouch? :cry:

Sure, it looks very impressive, but after playing for a couple hours I just don't care.

I think Criterion removed aftertouch to keep the gameplay identical while online. Changing the presentation a bit, like the slow-mo in single player, doesn't alter the way the game plays. Aftertouch doesn't work well without slow-mo, so they took it out.

I played the full version of the game at a local retailer and have to say my opinion of this game has changed since the demo. I played the demo and it was dull. The full game is much more fun, and I now intend to get it.

I am hugely disappointed with Paradise. To me, Revenge was the best racing game I have ever played. It had incredibly simple controls (3 buttons) and anyone could just pick it up and play it. I mean no offense to the ladies out there, but even women that I know who never played video games were able to play it and have a lot of fun with it (I attribute that to its simplicity).

Paradise still has the great controls and feel to it, but I hate having to drive around looking for races. I don't want to explore the city or have to fix my car up in repair shops. I want to select 'race' from a menu and immediately race. I don't want to have to memorize the maps to know where to turn. It is such a pain in the ass having to check the minimap while I'm trying to race, and this was the main thing that put my friends off from the game. I want a giant artificial wall with blinking arrows making a boundary for the race track like in most racing games.

I loved revenge for its simplicity, but Paradise added so much fluff that it takes away the reason I want to play the game, just to pick it up and race.

I played the full version of the game at a local retailer and have to say my opinion of this game has changed since the demo. I played the demo and it was dull. The full game is much more fun, and I now intend to get it.

True story, though I did re-d/l the demo to play online with a friend who doesn't have the game and had a blast since this game allows you the freedom to make your own fun.

It just goes to show how tricky it can be to create a good demo. You want to provide enough content to give a good feel for what the full game has to offer, but not enough to make it an alternative to purchasing the full game.

If you weren't sold on this game after playing the demo I highly recommend renting it before you decide to pass on it. You might change your mind.

It'd be nice, but I think most developers are waiting for whatever support's coming in Sony's "in-game XMB access" update first, before freeing up room from THEIR pool of resources. ;)

Great game.I played it for about 160 hours, and i still find it extremely addictive.
Online support is great.Graphics and sound as well.
Well spent 60 euros. :)

I'm sick of these companies adding content and value after a games release for free. Especially games that already feature rich and content complete. Who the hell do they think they are? What do they take us consumers for? The nerve of some people...

Heh. I got this game from gamefly, enjoyed it, but thought I wanted to play a new game instead. With some of these new updates, this game is a for sure purchase for me in the next couple of weeks.

Criterion doing things right.

I'm sick of these companies adding content and value after a games release for free. Especially games that already feature rich and content complete. Who the hell do they think they are? What do they take us consumers for? The nerve of some people...
Well, the island update and a lot of additions will be free, but the Davis update they're talking about there is supposed to be the first paid-for DLC. They always say that if they charge, they have to make it really WORTH it, though... so I think we're just seeing the leading edge right now.

...which is still awesome. ;)

Here is a copy/paste for those at work and behind filters, BTW this was going to be pay-for DLC. :)

Here’s what Burnout Paradise players can look forward to, when they get the FREE Burnout Paradise Bikes Pack next month. (This is the pack formerly know by the codename “Davis”.)

We’ve got two rides ready to go – Day 1. Just head for your nearest junkyard in Paradise City to pick up the FV1100 street bike and the stunning Japanese Firehawk racing bike. That’ll do for a start, but there’s more in store once you’ve played a little way through the bike-specific gameplay. We’ll bring you more on these vehicles in a future post.

From the second we added the first prototype bike, we wanted to cruise the streets of Paradise City at night. So, in addition to the bikes, we’re adding night to the game. You’ll see day cycle through to night and see the city change with it. Paradise City takes on a life of its own once the rush hour traffic thins out!

During the day, you can play a variation of our Burning Routes challenges. Beat the target times on specific routes to complete “Burning Rides”. The big change here is that these routes feature multiple checkpoints – they’ll take you all over the city. At night, complete a different set of routes – the “Midnight Rides”.
We’ve created 70 challenges specially for bikes. 35 of these are timed, multi-part challenges – the kind you’ll have experienced if you’ve been playing last month’s FREE software update codenamed Cagney.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/05/paradise-city-choppers-burnouts-bikes/

xlzalf.jpg

9pw5qc.jpg

sdzku8.jpg

2ewiiqd.jpg

This is a super fun arcade racer without this additional patch. I don't think I would characterize this as DLC just like I don't do the same with GT5P.

I can't wait to check out the bikes.

Back