Do you consider Wii a next gen console?

Do you consider Wii a next gen console

• Yes

Votes: 56 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 93 62.4%

• Total voters
Yes. Why? simple. In the dictionary next generation says the generation after the previous generation. Wich the Wii is so that alone would make it next gen. Even if you for some reason want to include improvements into the meaning of next generation the Wii still is next gen because its also faster and better than the GC. Just not by as big as a margin as the x360 and ps3.

Some people might have a different ''feeling'' about it but that doesnt change anything about the fact that the Wii is next gen, wheater you like it or not ;)

Every time I hear "next gen" I feel tempted to punch someo...thing.

Let me ask a counterquestion: do you consider the Sega Saturn to be multi-media?

Yes it is a new console succeeding it's predecessor and is improved in almost every way.
The fact that it is not as powerful as the other next gen consoles is irrelevant,none of the console is as equally as powerful as the others. If turns it turns out the 360 is not as powerful as the PS3 does that make the 360 not a next gen system,of course not(and vise versa). There are no set guidelines written in stone as to how much more powerful a new system has to be relative to it's predecessor or it's competition. What matters is it improves upon it's past and is a new device.

1) It's the system after the last, in this case the GameCube
2) It's more powerful than the last

Seems fairly straightforward that it would be considered next-gen. Unless you are putting restrictions on power increases, such be 10 times as powerful as the last system.

Yes. Why? simple. In the dictionary next generation says the generation after the previous generation.

Yet there are people who wouldn't - for whatever reason - consider (insert a brand) (insert a product category), even if it technically clearly was (item of said product category)

How could it not? It is the next generation of consoles from Nintendo. The term refers nothing to graphics or processing power other than what people like to throw in there because console manufacturers have told them that it must be so in the past.

I voted no, as to me next gen implies significant increase in system power over the predecessor and in my opinion Wii doesn't qualify in that regard. The word next gen however is so vague that Wii does qualify being next gen in multiple ways and naturally different people emphasizes different things, so it's perfectly accurate to call it next gen.

Yes. It's the next generation after Gamecube. That it didn't have enough of a hardware upgrade to satisfy some people is irrelevant. The only way I could possibly consider Wii to not be Nintendo's next-gen console would be if either Nintendo was continuing to support Gamecube in parallel with Wii, or if Wii games were playable on Gamecube with an add-on.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the phrase "next generation". If you believe that "next generation" is the equivalent of "state-of-the-art", then no, the Wii isn't a "next generation " console because it's lacking state-of-the-art technology. However, if you approach the phrase "next generation" from an evolutionary viewpoint, then the Wii can be considered even more "next generation" than any other console since it has changed the most from its predecessor.

I personally believe that it's best to include both of these interpretations when defining "next generation" which is why I believe that the 360, the PS3, and the Wii are all next generation (or should it be "current generation"?) consoles.

Every time I hear "next gen" I feel tempted to punch someo...thing.

Let me ask a counterquestion: do you consider the Sega Saturn to be multi-media?

Games count as multimedia right? so yes. Your phone can be a multimedia device too, it might not be great at it, but it still is.

I voted no, as to me next gen implies significant increase in system power over the predecessor and in my opinion Wii doesn't qualify in that regard. The word next gen however is so vague that Wii does qualify being next gen in multiple ways and naturally different people emphasizes different things, so it's perfectly accurate to call it next gen.

The word next gen isnt vague at all. It are certain people who for whatever reason try to make it a vague word because they dont want <insert brand> to count as next gen for whatever reason. The dictionary states next gen simply is the next generation, nothing about specs or whatever. The people who are vague are those who try to give a word different meaning.

The dictionary states next gen simply is the next generation, nothing about specs or whatever. The people who are vague are those who try to give a word different meaning.

Well dictionaries doesn't include everything. Words are just things that includes ideas and the language evolves all the time etc. Imo "next gen" has more meanings than just "something after the previous one" my voting had absolutely nothing to do with brands, but only to express my opinion that the hardware is not substantially different from the previous one.

I voted "Yes".

Let me precise immediately that Wii is the only "next-gen" system of the 3, IMO of course.

Obviously, my criteria aren't based on power consumption, fillrate, Ram size or whatever.

My reasons are fairly simple :
- PS3 and Xbox360 are marketted and engineered with the same main concept we have seen for 10 years, beginning the cycle with PS1.
- On the other hand, Nintendo did redefined their home console concept with Wii.

Well dictionaries doesn't include everything. Words are just things that includes ideas and the language evolves all the time etc. Imo "next gen" has more meanings than just "something after the previous one" my voting had absolutely nothing to do with brands, but only to express my opinion that the hardware is not substantially different from the previous one.

I wasnt trying to say you think something like that, its just that alot of people on other forums just have the brand as another reason.

You are right words evolve. I just wonder if you can apply that for next gen too. You could say because its technology next gen could, or should mean more than just the next generation and should also cover a bit of technological advancements. But in that case the Wii is also a ''big'' improvement to GC (2/3 times as powerfull). But its because x360 and ps3 are so more powerfull that people might compare the advancements to that instead of comparing specs in a more relative manner. Ps3 cost 800dollars or so to build, wii probably costs even less than 200dollars to produce so its not strange Wii is less advanced, you cant expect to have the same specs with 1/4 of the price.

I think if you look at production costs of a Wii, the controller, what the machine should be capable of when a dev actually builds a decent engine and the ''normal'' meaning of the word next gen does qualify in all ways as next gen.

Truth be told in this here post

its purely my opinion. i said the innovation makes wii a next gen console because the console changes the way you play games. for tech side, i have no knowledge but graphics + sound looks like last gen

Back