Do you consider Wii a next gen console?

Do you consider Wii a next gen console

• Yes

Votes: 56 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 93 62.4%

• Total voters
I voted for no, but having spent this Easter playing Wii Sports with my nephew's I think a better descrition would be that the Wii is a "new-gen" console. Because I have not played anything like it before. :)
It's just a blast playing.

IMO of course.

I voted no because that's how it is seen from a software development standpoint. Wii is getting the PS2/PSP ports, and Xbox 360 and PS3 get each others ports. There is very little inter-porting between the two, which means the power gap is too large to be bridged reasonable. This implies that the Wii is a last gen system.

Wow, what a polarised issue. I voted Yes (thinking, of course, yes!) but it seems most of you disagree.

I definitely feel no one has been able to make the Wii sing yet visually. I don't think it'll knock the socks off the graphics fanboys, but when you start seeing games that beat the top-looking visuals of last-gen - say, Ninja Gaiden - then we will hear less of this "not next gen" talk.

Besides, I have no doubt now the Wii will outsell both MS and Sony... though I can't say I want one, since the games are 99% poor. Goes to show that price is definitely king.

And right now the Wii screams, "GCN-esq hardware with GCN games with a different controller".
If you're playing Zelda, yes. If you're playing Wii Sports, no. Now, how many early 360 titles mostly felt like regular Xbox games with more polygons and parallax mapping? How many early DS games felt like GBA titles with some tacked-on touch panel support?
Yet you could look at all the things it lacks compared to last gen consoles like online gameplay,
That's kind of a red herring, because it doesn't lack online gameplay in Japan, and it will cease lacking online gameplay in Europe once Mario Strikers comes out, and in the USA once Pokemon comes out. The Wii has online features, and online gaming has been annoyingly slow in coming, but then, the Xbox didn't launch with Live, either, though everyone knew it was coming.*
If the Wii didn't have the Wiimote
Irrelevant. The Wii does have the Wiimote. What if the Xbox 360 only had 64 MB of RAM? What if the PS3 didn't have a GPU, but still had a deeply-pipelined but otherwise primitive rasterizer? What if the Wii reverted to 64 MB cartridges?
If Sony had repacked the PS2 with a couple EyeToys and promoted online out of the box for $249 would it make the PS2 next gen compared to the PS3 (or 360)?
No, because you could play such "PS3" games on your PS2 if you bought a couple of used Eyetoys. However, it is impossible to play Wii games on your Gamecube, no matter how many accessories you buy. The comparison breaks down because the Wii is not actually the same machine as Gamecube. Also, note that the $299 Xbox 360 lacks the next-gen feature of being able to save your games. I wouldn't really call it a next-gen console until you buy some memory for it.

I do agree that I'm not particularly enthralled by the idea of a machine only moderately more powerful than what I've owned since 2003 with a controller that seems hit-or-miss, the need for one or two more buttons, and a rather poorly-thought online system. I'm not excited about Nintendo's decisions for their next-gen console, but that doesn't mean it's not actually Nintendo's next-gen console.

*Not equivalent to saying "Friend codes are an awesome idea"

The only thing lacking in the Wii is relative power. In every other way it's actually quite a robust system.
Maybe we should defining a console by what it does for the consumer and not how it does it(power under the hood).
Yes, how ironic that at a site called "Beyond 3D" that many here can't look beyond 3D.

Maybe we should defining a console by what it does for the consumer and not how it does it(power under the hood). Clearly the Wii does as much as for the consumer as it's competitors and does it in a smaller and more affordable package. Pretty advanced if you ask me.

This whole 'Is wii a next-gen console?' is very subjective depending on the criteria you like to use. If I ignore what's under the hood like you say, the Wii doesn not give me a next-gen experience like it's competitors do at all. It's something weird, something fundamentally different, you either like it or you don't.
On paper, yes you could say that the wii is a new console because of the hardware and the controller.
But like I said, it all depends on the criteria you use and as long as people in this discussion don't agree about what defines 'next-gen', the question remains subjective and intuitive, based on how much you like the system.
And when I look at the poll results, the majority of voters don't like the system that much. So there's your answer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more and more surprised by Joshua 's recent posts upon Wii ... Because the more i read you, the more i feel anger towards Nintendo 's new console and concept.
I am surprised because reading your posts for a long time, i was really expecting you to be a "defender" of this new policy.

Yet you could look at all the things it lacks compared to last gen consoles like online gameplay, DVD playback, and so forth as well as those features and services it is missing compared to next gen consoles (which is a huge list). And once you consider things like the browsing is going to eventually cost consumers it isn't so clear. If a browser alone is a defining trait of next gen then the 360 isn't and the Dreamcast is.
Since when the path to "next-gen" is adding multimedia capabilities to a console ? To make a proper list :
- Online gameplay : whatever posters in this forum think, this adresses to a niche.
- DVD playback : i don't care my consoles have this capabilities. Most console owners don't care much since they have more tailored devices to do that in their room (40$ DVD player anyone ?). You would have to pay "video whores" to read their video with their consoles. They'd rather use their high end video player or their HTPC (like me).
- Browsing capabilities : haha ! You must be kidding ...

Back on topic : these services a not the signs of "next-gen" but the signs that some manufacturers are trying to invade other markets by using brandnames.

Whether you think Wii is or isn't really depends on what you, individually, are looking for. But you can break it up feature by feature and service by service and on the hardware and game spectrum it is clearly closer to the older consoles than the newer ones and almost all of its features and services have been done a long time ago.
So ? Nintendo longly stated that consoles are not related to technology, but how you use it. Wii' hardware is outdated, there is no debate to that.
Do you really think the "proposal" has not changed from previous generation ?

If the Wii didn't have the Wiimote I don't think this would even be a question outside of, "It is Nintendo's newest so it is their next gen, just not next gen in the market".
But the Wiimote is there and the developers cannot "not use it". This "if" does not bring anything to your point.

Which goes back to someone elses point: If Sony had repacked the PS2 with a couple EyeToys and promoted online out of the box for $249 would it make the PS2 next gen compared to the PS3 (or 360)?
Would Sony have suppressed regular controller and show good demonstrations of gameplay (like Nintendo did) my answer would be "yes", undoubtely.

Looking at the very large standard HDD, much richer online environment, HD output and HD media, and huge leap in computational power I would scoff at the idea such a package is next gen compared to the real PS3.
I know the argument i am going to give here is not very popular here but again : DS ? Hasn't it prove that a path for future does not have to be generationnal leap hardware-wise ?

I take my stance personally as a longtime Nintendo consumer and GCN owner. I have a GCN and Wavebird. Online is something Nintendo told me years ago to go do elsewhere and right now their offering is paltry anyhow (and gonna cost eventually). So I get a mild GCN update and a Wiimote. I could have essentially had that with "Wavebird II" if they chose to.
No they could not. And you perfectly know that, that is why i don't understand why you say that...

I personally don't consider Wavebird II (Wiimote) on hardware I pretty much already have and have had since 2002 to be next gen. Others are free to disagree but I don't feel like paying more for Wii hardware than I paid for my GCN ($149) when the only real significant meaningful difference in term of experience is the controller which from reviews is really hit or miss on the software at this time.
First, whe are only 4 monthes after launch : give it time ! DS waited one year before descent use of touch screen, PS2 waited 18 monthes for descent games.
Second, calling Wiimote "Wavebird 2" really shows you have a problem with it.

You will have more games coming for the wii; Problem is most publishers were caught with their pant down:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amWmy6_JG16U&refer=worldwide

Electronic Arts Plays Catch-Up After Shrugging Off Wii's Appeal
By Michael White
April 9 (Bloomberg) -- Video-game designer Nick Earl spent eight months holed up with his development team rushing to adapt ``The Godfather'' for Nintendo Co.'s Wii.
The reason for the long hours: Earl's employer, Electronic Arts Inc., like some of its competitors, underestimated demand for the Wii, whose motion-activated wand lets players wield a virtual sword, mimic real golf swings or strangle a victim. Instead, game makers put most of their resources into Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3, which was released two days earlier in November with a more conventional hand controller.
Now, publishers are scrambling to get titles to the 3.56 million U.S. and Japanese Wii owners who have made the machine the top-selling game console this year.
``Those companies are backtracking,'' said Anthony Gikas, an analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis. ``They're going to need to get their best-branded product on that platform. That will take a good nine to 12 months.''
A shortage of Wii games contributed to a 25 percent drop in sales in February from a year earlier at Redwood City, California-based Electronic Arts, the world's largest video-game publisher, said Todd Greenwald, an analyst at Nollenberger Capital Partners in San Francisco. Industry sales in February rose 28 percent.

What is remarkable is how many online enthusiasts seem to have extreme difficulties dealing with the success of the Wii. It's worthy of its own thread into the psyche of the netizens here, which probably wouldn't be too popular.

The Wii shows that
- no, CPU or GPU complexity is not a strong sales driver.
- no, online gaming is not a strong sales driver.
- no, hardware support for complex shader programming is not a strong sales driver.
- no, HD output is not a strong sales driver.
et cetera, such as not being playable in testing kiosks (not done due to wireless controls), not being available without pre-booking, and so on that isn't all that tech-related.

Some of these are a bit surprising.

But what is even more surprising is the amount of posters that try to exclude the Wii from their thinking or try to confine it to a niche where the 360 or the PS3 doesn't have to be compared to it.

What is remarkable is how many online enthusiasts seem to have extreme difficulties dealing with the success of the Wii. It's worthy of its own thread into the psyche of the netizens here, which probably wouldn't be too popular.

The Wii shows that
- no, hardware support for complex shader programming is not a strong sales driver.
et cetera, such as not being playable in testing kiosks (not done due to wireless controls), not being available without pre-booking, and so on that isn't all that tech-related.
This is going off into a tangential Wii sales thread, but before you can claim these things aren't necessary to sell a console, you have to make sure the Wii is away from any Fad phase and is actually a robust console. The world has had plenty of 'take the world by storm' products that were soon forgotten when the novelty wore off. If Wii is one of those, eventually those missing features will cause the product to be forgotten in favour of the machines with those features. If Wii isn't just a fad, long term sales will remain strong. The nature of Wii's acceptance by the market will only be proven by long-term sales. Until then, we can't say that such-and-such features aren't requirements. At the moment all we can say for certainty is Wii has a lot of immediate appeal. There's no way to gauge from initial high demand what impact low technical prowess will have.

Well DS kinda proved the concept matters more than horsepower, and Wii seems to be following it's trail closely, being still sold out everywhere

This is going off into a tangential Wii sales thread, but before you can claim these things aren't necessary to sell a console, you have to make sure the Wii is away from any Fad phase and is actually a robust console. The world has had plenty of 'take the world by storm' products that were soon forgotten when the novelty wore off. If Wii is one of those, eventually those missing features will cause the product to be forgotten in favour of the machines with those features. If Wii isn't just a fad, long term sales will remain strong. The nature of Wii's acceptance by the market will only be proven by long-term sales. Until then, we can't say that such-and-such features aren't requirements. At the moment all we can say for certainty is Wii has a lot of immediate appeal. There's no way to gauge from initial high demand what impact low technical prowess will have.

Again, since when "those features" are requirements to sell a console ? What was the lesson the last 5 years theached us upon them ?

Most important IMO, a device has not to bring "those features" to be "next-gen" or even to be called a console...

Future is uncertain : the points you raise upon Wii are correct, but so they are for XBox360 and PS3, don't you think ?

Again, since when "those features" are requirements to sell a console ? What was the lesson the last 5 years theached us upon them ?
Most important IMO, a device has not to bring "those features" to be "next-gen" or even to be called a console...
They were last-gen consoles with last-gen features. As the console scene changes (or not) features may become expectations to define a genre. Like mobile phones. In 1995 Sony, MS and Nintendo release mobile phones for talking anywhere. In 2000 they all release mobiles with talking and texting added. In 2005 Sony and MS release phones with talk and texting and cameras inbuilt with multimedia messaging, while Nintendo releases another talk+text only phone.Just because cameras weren't a part of the mobile scene in previous generations, doesn't mean you can discount their worth this gen. The new gen of mobiles adds the features of cameras, and a phone without the camera is surely a last-gen design, no? You won't get anyone selling a mobile this day with the features of a few years ago, so why expect people not to care if their console lacks the features of its contemporaries?

Future is uncertain : the points you raise upon Wii are correct, but so they are for XBox360 and PS3, don't you think ?
No, because the XB360 and PS3 are selling to the existing console market that we know likes dual-analogue inputs and existing games. Unless there's reason to think the existing 120+ million console gamers will suddenly not want to play console games like they have done, there's no reason to doubt XB360s and PS3's success. With Wii, Nintendo have taken a different, unproven course. At the moment it's paying dividends because people are lapping them up, but it's a different market to the existing and traditional console base, and it's unproven if the non-traditional gamers have 'staying power'. It's like Barbie versus Furbie. Barbie is traditional and can be trusted to continue to sell tothe people that like it. Furby was new and exciting. It appealed to a market Barbie never could and outsold Barbie by crazy margins...but then disappeared because it's market was quickly satisfied. Barbies continue to sell to the Barbie market - the Furby market was different to the Barbie market and the Furby market had no staying power. XB360 and PS3 are still Barbies in essence, though with more optional extras than ever before (and some would say still just as boring as consoles have always been). Is the Wii a new Furby or new Barbie? It has that uncertainty that the other consoles don't have.

They were last-gen consoles with last-gen features. As the console scene changes (or not) features may become expectations to define a genre. Like mobile phones. In 1995 Sony, MS and Nintendo release mobile phones for talking anywhere. In 2000 they all release mobiles with talking and texting added. In 2005 Sony and MS release phones with talk and texting and cameras inbuilt with multimedia messaging, while Nintendo releases another talk+text only phone.Just because cameras weren't a part of the mobile scene in previous generations, doesn't mean you can discount their worth this gen. The new gen of mobiles adds the features of cameras, and a phone without the camera is surely a last-gen design, no? You won't get anyone selling a mobile this day with the features of a few years ago, so why expect people not to care if their console lacks the features of its contemporaries?
Thanks for the clarification.
In short :
- The features brought are there for 5 years for the olders, 2 years for the youngers.
- If we can't compare portable gaming market to home console one, certainly we can't compare mobile one, no ? I with others tried to make some analogy between DS and Wii, which were described as false because "you can't compare !". Same applies there.

No, because the XB360 and PS3 are selling to the existing console market that we know likes dual-analogue inputs and existing games. Unless there's reason to think the existing 120+ million console gamers will suddenly not want to play console games like they have done, there's no reason to doubt XB360s and PS3's success. With Wii, Nintendo have taken a different, unproven course. At the moment it's paying dividends because people are lapping them up, but it's a different market to the existing and traditional console base, and it's unproven if the non-traditional gamers have 'staying power'. It's like Barbie versus Furbie. Barbie is traditional and can be trusted to continue to sell tothe people that like it. Furby was new and exciting. It appealed to a market Barbie never could and outsold Barbie by crazy margins...but then disappeared because it's market was quickly satisfied. Barbies continue to sell to the Barbie market - the Furby market was different to the Barbie market and the Furby market had no staying power. XB360 and PS3 are still Barbies in essence, though with more optional extras than ever before (and some would say still just as boring as consoles have always been). Is the Wii a new Furby or new Barbie? It has that uncertainty that the other consoles don't have.

The market has proven to be more or less in a "stagnation phasis". From stagnation to decline, there isn't much as the Japan market shows us for 2 years (on the home console market).

Plus i would like to have your definitive view as i have read posts from you where you were saying "I have to be proven that the people buying Wii are not the casual gamers". Basically, with your actual statement, you imply the other way round.

You furby analogy is nice but why would Nintendo have to choice between one of the two? There are aiming to be both. At least, that is what they did with DS. Why would they change that ?

This whole 'Is wii a next-gen console?' is very subjective depending on the criteria you like to use. If I ignore what's under the hood like you say, the Wii doesn not give me a next-gen experience like it's competitors do at all. It's something weird, something fundamentally different, you either like it or you don't.
On paper, yes you could say that the wii is a new console because of the hardware and the controller.
But like I said, it all depends on the criteria you use and as long as people in this discussion don't agree about what defines 'next-gen', the question remains subjective and intuitive, based on how much you like the system.
And when I look at the poll results, the majority of voters don't like the system that much. So there's your answer. :)

And thats exactly why you should have a relative look at the term next gen and not base it to much on your personal feelings. Besides that who defines ''next gen feeling''? For you that might be gfx, for me its not so much gfx as I found F1 2007 not next gen at all. Looks nice, but otherwise exactly the same game as on ps2. Same goes for some Wii games. Not next gen, but not last gen either but definitly something different.

Oh and about the voting, voting NO is something different than not liking the system.

No, because the XB360 and PS3 are selling to the existing console market that we know likes dual-analogue inputs and existing games. Unless there's reason to think the existing 120+ million console gamers will suddenly not want to play console games like they have done, there's no reason to doubt XB360s and PS3's success.

I guess you could also put it like this: They never had a other option so they went with it, now there is Wii and they might like it better. If you can tell anything by sales atleast a fair group is more interrested in motion controllers than standard controllers.

but it's a different market to the existing and traditional console base, and it's unproven if the non-traditional gamers have 'staying power'.

DS already proved ''non gamers'' have staying power. The question is more if they will also stick to Wii.

XB360 and PS3 are still Barbies in essence, though with more optional extras than ever before (and some would say still just as boring as consoles have always been). Is the Wii a new Furby or new Barbie? It has that uncertainty that the other consoles don't have.

I dont agree with that as all 3 consoles are in a essence very similair unlike barby and furby. The big difference is that with Wii instead of pressing a button you move. But you can also use the wii controller like a more traditional controller if you'd like. The godfather is a good example of mixing the old with the new in a good way. No overdone motion sensing but only were its usefull. For the rest you still use them to play a game and they can still all play the same games for the most part only the ones on Wii will look less impressive.

The Wii shows that
No, you can't make any of these statements based on the success of the Wii; that is, you can't find attributes that the Wii lacks and turn it around to mean that that attribute is not a strong sales driver.

- If we can't compare portable gaming market to home console one, certainly we can't compare mobile one, no ? I with others tried to make some analogy between DS and Wii, which were described as false because "you can't compare !". Same applies there.
I wasn't comparing it to mobiles other than as an example of how feature set can't be expected to stay the same. Where devices, be they consoles, mobile phones, cars, or whatever, have more features added over time with new devices, that shows that the next generation of device tends to add features. If PS3 and XB360 add the same features, and Wii keeps the feature set of last-gen, the new features can be consider as differentiating the new from the old - to be a new gen mobile, you need to have 3G and in built camera; to be a new gen console you need to have cutting edge processing and online gaming. Not that I'm saying you have to, but that's the argument for one definition of 'next-gen'.

The market has proven to be more or less in a "stagnation phasis". From stagnation to decline, there isn't much as the Japan market shows us for 2 years (on the home console market).
People say that, but AFAIK it's been growing year on year since PS1 days. I don't know where the decline is...

Plus i would like to have your definitive view as i have read posts from you where you were saying "I have to be proven that the people buying Wii are not the casual gamers". Basically, with your actual statement, you imply the other way round.
I don't know who the Wii is selling to. That's why I can't guess if it's a Furby phenomenum or a Barbie phenomenum. Bare in mind a lot of my posts are playing Devil's Advocate, arguing the other POV without neceesarily subscribing to it myself. For the record I voted Yes, Wii is a next-gen console based on my definition. But I can see the argument against and thoght I'd weigh in to discuss it a bit further ;)

You furby analogy is nice but why would Nintendo have to choice between one of the two? There are aiming to be both. At least, that is what they did with DS. Why would they change that ?
Sure, and maybe they'll get lucky that way. Whatever happens, it'll only be proven after a while. Until then, there's no point pointing to Wii's curent sales and saying 'no-one cares about the XB360 and PS3's complex features. Long term, perhaps they will, and Wii is just a cheap novelty experience until the others drop to fit the mainstream bank-balance.

tongue_of_colicab said:
I guess you could also put it like this: They never had a other option so they went with it, now there is Wii and they might like it better. If you can tell anything by sales atleast a fair group is more interrested in motion controllers than standard controllers.
As above, I'm not saying who is buying Wii or why. Only that you can't look at current sales and assume they'll carry on for years and Wii will be the biggest success ever.

DS already proved ''non gamers'' have staying power.
Not to my mind. Are those who bought DS just for Brain Training buying into other games on DS? Or are the constant software sales of more traditional games on DS the same gamers who owned GBA - not 'non-gamers'?

I dont agree with that as all 3 consoles are in a essence very similair unlike barby and furby.
Except they're not, as per Joshua's post. XB360 and PS3 have fancy HD graphics, online content galore, grandiose network plans, and 'stuff'. Wii has little interest in that stuff and instead offers a different control interface. The moment you lose the different control interface, you're left with something much closer to the PS2 and XB than the XB360 and PS3.

Not to my mind. Are those who bought DS just for Brain Training buying into other games on DS? Or are the constant software sales of more traditional games on DS the same gamers who owned GBA - not 'non-gamers'?

Looking how DS games dominate the software sales too, yes, I'd say they, or at least most of them, are into buying other games too for the DS

Back