Kojima talks to Kotaku about MGS4

"Yes, the PS3 is an oven, the 360 a toaster and the Wii a microwave...no no it is the PS3 that is the microwave..no scratch that..."

no no no ... the ps3 is the grill ... everyone knows that!

/jab

Seriously I liked the vision of the analogies at first. They seemed to paint a very clear picture of what to expect this gen. Problem is, reality hasn't shaped up to be quite what many thought it would be. Including Kojima.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I necessarily agree with Kojima's POV, but going with the analogy you can still show cheap TV programmes on a big-screen cinema. At this point, one would have to say that cinema releases have been targetted for DVD (TV budgets) rather than full multimillion dollar cinematic experiences, if Kojima is right. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though. Kojima needs to deliver, or be consigned to your .sig as yet another Sony-related quote that paints them in a bad light! ;)

so could this be hint that it will be ps3 exclusive for months before coming to XB360??? we shall see.
It doesn't hint anything of the sort. It categorically states Kojima sees MGS4 as a PS3 only title. Capcom may have other ideas, or plans may change. But there's no suggestion of an XB360 version in development or intended for release.

Is he saying the 360 isn't capable of "movie theatre" quality experiences and yet the PS3 is? Graphically both systems are pretty equal with each having their respective strengths. I find his responses pretty strange to say the least.

Is he saying the 360 isn't capable of "movie theatre" quality experiences and yet the PS3 is? Graphically both systems are pretty equal with each having their respective strengths. I find his responses pretty strange to say the least.

Sound is an element many oft forget... (high quality loseless 7.1 soundtrack with an incredible diversity of sound)

Scope is another of these elements, as well... (ie huge streaming diverse worlds/levels that are GBs in size)

BDrom, standard HDD, and CELL may actually show some competitive advantages in these 2 upcoming sony exclusives, MGS4 and FFXIII.

I agree for the most part that the two consoles are equal, but I wonder if he is pointing to sound processing quality and size of media. Even though the two may have nothing to do with the difference in a multiplat in this case, but I wouldn't discount his thinking that (I remember reading an article 1.5yrs ago that had him extoling the virtues of the cell processing sound/ can't remember where so my opinion maybe shit). Konami has not yet stated whether they want to go the Capcom route, and until they say so it is safe to assume that MGS4 will remain only on the PS3.

Even if they do Kojima seems rather stubborn so unless they force his hand on it I don't see it happening even then.

Agreed. I say give the code to the gurus at Sumo Digital when Kojima's done. :p

Pffft!! All they've done is VT3. Right?
-------------

It would be great for all gamers if MGS4 were to go multiplat, but this aint happening unless there is a delay in release leading to aggravated shareholders.

Pffft!! All they've done is VT3. Right?
-------------

It would be great for all gamers if MGS4 were to go multiplat, but this aint happening unless there is a delay in release leading to aggravated shareholders.

Or sales lagg below expectation or upper-management sees the potential of a port to xb360 or :oops: Wii.

Sumo Digital is great.

If Kojima's analogy is relevant, then:
a)Nintendo will have much more revenues then MS and Sony combined (from their games divisions). Everyone at this forum will have a Wii. Wii will offer not only equivalent to movies, but also equivalent to talk shows, serials, sport etc. That will be a real diversity.
b)PS3 will effer experience somehow more immersive than X360. Be it sound and games length or maybe even graphics.
c)you'll also be able to do on 360 whatever you can on Wii, but it will be kind of pointless. You can buy basically everyday on DVD, but seriously I don't know anyone who buys concerts, serials etc. on DVD

What seems to negate Kojima's analogy:
a)PS3's price. You don't have to invest a lot (if anything) if you want to go to cinema. On the other hand, you have to invest some money to watch TV (Wii) and even more if you want to have a home theatre (360).
b)diversity on Wii compared to other consoles. 360 and PS3 not only have big games, but they also have downloadable services (Live Arcade and the other one). Plus they offer multimedia capabilities you can't find on Wii.
c)actual difference between 360 and PS3. Maybe PS3 has tons of unused potential, but so far 360 games have better graphics. I didn't play on a PS3 with a good sound system (I use 5.1 for my 360 and PC gaming and I don't see a reason to jump to 7.1 honestly) so maybe the machine offers edge in this department already. Sounds in 360's games could be sometims more convincible. As for games' size, Motorstorm is supposed to be impossible on 360 due to DVD's limitations, but do you really think that a game with 1 environment and 8 (or so) tracks couldn't fit on DVD, while PGR4 with 10 cities will? Though more space is always better, I can't negate that.

If Kojima's analogy is relevant, then:
a)Nintendo will have much more revenues then MS and Sony combined (from their games divisions). Everyone at this forum will have a Wii. Wii will offer not only equivalent to movies, but also equivalent to talk shows, serials, sport etc. That will be a real diversity.
b)PS3 will effer experience somehow more immersive than X360. Be it sound and games length or maybe even graphics.
c)you'll also be able to do on 360 whatever you can on Wii, but it will be kind of pointless. You can buy basically everyday on DVD, but seriously I don't know anyone who buys concerts, serials etc. on DVD

What seems to negate Kojima's analogy:
a)PS3's price. You don't have to invest a lot (if anything) if you want to go to cinema. On the other hand, you have to invest some money to watch TV (Wii) and even more if you want to have a home theatre (360).
b)diversity on Wii compared to other consoles. 360 and PS3 not only have big games, but they also have downloadable services (Live Arcade and the other one). Plus they offer multimedia capabilities you can't find on Wii.
c)actual difference between 360 and PS3. Maybe PS3 has tons of unused potential, but so far 360 games have better graphics. I didn't play on a PS3 with a good sound system (I use 5.1 for my 360 and PC gaming and I don't see a reason to jump to 7.1 honestly) so maybe the machine offers edge in this department already. Sounds in 360's games could be sometims more convincible. As for games' size, Motorstorm is supposed to be impossible on 360 due to DVD's limitations, but do you really think that a game with 1 environment and 8 (or so) tracks couldn't fit on DVD, while PGR4 with 10 cities will? Though more space is always better, I can't negate that.

:LOL:

Great post ... Though in all honesty, this thread should probably be locked. PR interview with little to no info.

Sound is an element many oft forget... (high quality loseless 7.1 soundtrack with an incredible diversity of sound)

I'm sorry, but in my opinion this kind of stuff is highly overrated.

I'd like to put anyone here in a blind test when it comes to sound. :)

hmm ... I thought he said it couldn't and pointed to the camo suite effect as an example. :???:

He said mgs4 was technically possible on 360.

Motorstorm is supposed to be impossible on 360 due to DVD's limitations, but do you really think that a game with 1 environment and 8 (or so) tracks couldn't fit on DVD, while PGR4 with 10 cities will? Though more space is always better, I can't negate that.

from what i've heard the enviroments are pretty big and varied

Back