Ie 7

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
using it right now, and I am very pleased............... I think firefox is up to a challenge now......

serious, it's fast and the interface is neat.

I've seen a lot of Windows XP machines have major issues once IE7 is installed. It is also to little to late for me, what's the point in using it when Firefox has been out for ages now with the same and more features (not to mention Opera). It also no matter what does not even come close to handling the best feature of Firefox, the extensions.

serious, it's fast and the interface is neat.
Fast.. Well it ramps up the CPU to 100% real quick just waving te mouse pointer around on a web page for some reason. Npt sure WTF it's using all those cycles for but it can't be anything good.

Aslo if one page causes a crash for whatever reason the contents of all tabs is lost when the program is terminated. It doesn't restore them when reloading.
Flash is damn good at crashing IE7 i've had a whole bunch of crashes due to flash so far.

Have some issues with autoscroll (pressing middle mouse) and controlling speed/direction with arrow keys. This worked very well in IE6 but IE7 has problems when trying to slow down/change direction etc.

The favorites menu is a bit clumsy too methinks and there's no way to stop a page from opening new tabs/windows when it is closedf. This is abused on scumware sites such a sdrive cleaner etc and can be very annoying.
Peace.

IE 4-6 did close to irreparable damage to the web. IE7 is but a small step in the right direction. While the interface is vastly improved over IE6, it doesn't qualify for a rating anywhere near good until MS is able to make a rendering engine worth a damn.

IE7 is missing several key features to truely give FF/Opera issues: Undo Close Tab, Session Management, Mouse Gestures. To a lesser extent the following features are nice to have too: Flash-Block and Ad-Block Plus.

The best compromise is using FF with the IE Tab extension, for the pages that have problems with FF.

Why is IE7 still doing that nonsense when it only wants to save igmages as BMP even though they're actually JPEG?

That bug has annoyed me FOREVER with IE6 and now I find out they aven't fixed it! Talk about complacency.. *writes annoyed letter to god about him smiting MS HQ*
Peace.

Fast.. Well it ramps up the CPU to 100% real quick just waving te mouse pointer around on a web page for some reason. Npt sure WTF it's using all those cycles for but it can't be anything good.

Not getting that here at all and im currently on a 3+ year old compaq thats never had a reformat. 7-10% cpu utilization when i do what you said. Only ever saw that 100% in Vista RC2.

Why is IE7 still doing that nonsense when it only wants to save igmages as BMP even though they're actually JPEG?

That bug has annoyed me FOREVER with IE6 and now I find out they aven't fixed it! Talk about complacency.. *writes annoyed letter to god about him smiting MS HQ*
Peace.

um thats easily, EASILY, fixed, delete your temp internet files. Its a problem with your IE, much like a spyware/malware infection, not IE in general.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978

Last edited by a moderator:
um thats easily, EASILY, fixed, delete your temp internet files.
Easily fixed or not it shouldn't DO that.

Temporary internet files shouldn't be able to make the program only want to save images as BMP. That's NUTS and clearly a bug they should have fixed like half a decade ago.
Peace.

IE7 is just really dumb.
I did a separate style sheet for IE6 which I bound to a web page by putting this into the header:
PHP:
<!--[if IE]><style type="text/css">
@import url(/bcn-ie.css.gz);
</style><![endif]-->
That is by definition an HTML comment, i.e. a browser should completely ignore the statement. Of course this is a little extension which defines a section of the source that only IE will read and interpret. So when IE catches this, it does whatever is enclosed there (the @import statement), while all other browser recognize it as a comment and completely skip the section.
So far so good.

Now I thought, hey, IE7 might actually understand CSS, why not try the stylesheet that has the font sizes and proportions that make the site look like it's supposed to. So I used this:
PHP:
<!--[if IE lt 7]><style type="text/css">
@import url(/bcn-ie.css.gz);
</style><![endif]-->
That's another special comment, and only IE versions less than 7 are supposed to interpret the enclosed import statement.

IE7 however is too double-dumb to understand this: it interprets it as neither a comment nor a conditional statement. It will not perform the import, and that's good, but it will print the text "<!--[if IE lt 7]><![endif]-->" literally into the browser window. What a hoot!

Please don't be a part of the problem. Just stop using that pile of shit, whatever version number it bears.

When developing IE websites (mostly intranet web-applications, really), it's MUCH easier to build it first for FF, so it works and you have all the great debugging tools, and then port it to IE...

Every time I use the "insert web link" button here on B3D the popup blocker catches it even though I've added the site to the exclusion list of IE. WTF?

How can I pound into this idiot child's head that it shouldn't block windows that I WANT to open? On another site IE7 won't block fullpage ads that open randomly when I click a weblink so why is it doing this?

I really don't understand microsoft and its incompetence.

Peace.

Every time I use the "insert web link" button here on B3D the popup blocker catches it even though I've added the site to the exclusion list of IE. WTF?

How can I pound into this idiot child's head that it shouldn't block windows that I WANT to open? On another site IE7 won't block fullpage ads that open randomly when I click a weblink so why is it doing this?

Peace.

You sure you have http://forum.beyond3d.com under "Trusted Sites" list?

Peace.
Just get rid of it and get a REAL browser. ;)

There are very likely themes around that will do just that. And you can even make your own, with the interface exactly as you want it. ;)

I know there are SIMILAR ones - but none can do it 100%, not under Vista anyway (For example - the whole upper part of the window with address, search bar & back/forth buttons is transparent while in window, black while in fullscreen)

If you want really great effects, nothing beats Ubuntu with Beryl at the moment. And you can tune it to the limit. You want everything semi-transparent? No problem. Only inactive windows? Everything except buttons? You want some extreme pixel shader effects on title bars or anywhere else? You want everything layered, with a movie as background? You want windows to tile and fold on mouse gestures? You want animated taskbar previews? Or whatever? Easy.

But you want an nVidia GPU to get it all up and running with minimal fuss.

If you want really great effects, nothing beats Ubuntu with Beryl at the moment. And you can tune it to the limit. You want everything semi-transparent? No problem. Only inactive windows? Everything except buttons? You want some extreme pixel shader effects on title bars or anywhere else? You want everything layered, with a movie as background? You want windows to tile and fold on mouse gestures? You want animated taskbar previews? Or whatever? Easy.

But you want an nVidia GPU to get it all up and running with minimal fuss.

Nah, it's not about the effects, it's about the fact that IE7 interface just fits Vista Aero GUI perfectly.
I like the way the addressbar / titlebar / back/forward buttons are transparent when in windowed mode, just like in windows explorer (which is essentially the same, but that's irrelevant), and like the titlebar is in all programs when in windowed mode, and how that whole area turns black when in fullscreen, just like all the other programs act too.

Back