X360 games and PS3 games statistics

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
STATS FOR PS3 AND X360 GAMES
----------------------------
Xbox 360: Totalt Annouced\released games - 284 | Total Exclusives: 109 | Total First\Second Party Exclusives: 32
Percentage Exclusives: 38,38%
Percentage First\Second Party Exclusives: 11,27%

By Genre| Percentage of total | Percentage Exclusives | Percentage First\Sec Party Exclusives

Adventure: 44 | 15,49%|31,8% | 6,81%
Action: 30 | 10,56%|50% | 13,3%

FPS: 37 | 13,02% | 40,54% | 40%
Tactical Shooters: 8 |2,82% | 25% | 50%
Other Shooter: 14 | 4,93%| 64,29% | 44,4%

W-RPG: 18 | 6,34%| 50% | 33,33%
J-RPG: 7 | 2,46% | 71,42% | 60%
MMO: 6 | 2,11%| 50% | 66,6%

Sports: 53|18,66% | 7,5% | 0%

RTS: 4 | 1,41%| 100% | 25%
Turnbased Strategy: 2 | 0,70% |50 %| 0%

Racing: 20 | 7,04%| 45% | 33,3%
Car Combat: 5 |1,76% | 80% | 0%
Other driving: 4 |1,41% | 25% | 0%

Sim games: 3 | 1,06% | 25% | 0 %
Mech Sim: 3 | 1,06 | 66,7% | 0%

Virtual Life: 3 |1,06 | 66,67% | 50%

Fighting: 7 |2,46% | 57% | 0%

Plattformers: 6 |2,12% |16,67% | 100%

Flight Sims : 4 | 1,41%| 25% |0%

Party Games: 2 | 0,71%| 100% | 100%
Rythm Games: 3|1,06% | 0% | 0%

Misc Games: 1 | 0,355| 0 |0%
Note: XbL Arcade Games are NOT Included in statistics
PS3: Totalt Annouced\released games - 184 | Total Exclusives: 74 | Total First\Second Party Exclusives: 32
Percentage Exclusives: 40,21%
Percentage First\Second Party Exclusives: 17,39%
By Genre| Percentage of total | Percentage Exclusives | Percentage First\Sec Party Exclusives

Adventure: 38 |20,65% |44,73% | 23,68%
Action: 23 | 12,5%| 43,73% | 21,73%

FPS: 27| 14,67%| 26% | 14,8%
Tactical Shooters: 4 | 2,17%| 25% | 25%
Other Shooter: 5 | 2,71%| 60% | 33%

W-RPG: 10 | 5,44| 20% | 0%
J-RPG: 9 |4,89 | 77,7% | 33,3%
MMO: 3| 1,63| 66,7% | 33,3%

Sports: 22| 11,95%| 22,7% | 20%

RTS: 1| 0,54%| 100% | 100%
Turnbased Strategy: 3 | 1,63%|66%| 0%

Racing: 10| 5,43%| 40% | 50%
Car Combat: 3 | 1,63%| 66,6% | 50%
Other driving: 4 | 2,17%| 50% | 0%

Sim games: 3 |1,63% | 100% | 33 %
Mech Sim: 2 | 1,08% | 50% | 0%

Virtual Life: 1 | 0,54%| 0% | 0%

Fighting: 7 | 3,80%| 57% | 0%

Plattformers: 5 | |20% | 100%

Flight Sims : 1 |0,54% | 0% |0%

Party Games: 0 | 0%| 0% | 0%
Rythm Games: 1| 0,54%| 100% | 100%

Misc Games: 1 | 0,54% | 0 | 0

---------------
Does Not Include PSN games.
---------------

Source Material and stats in (.xls) excel can be download here

Source files now has hyperlinks to every game, list of every game used in the stats, sorted by genre.

--------------------------------------------
Genre definitions and definition of exclusive titles

Genres are as defined by gamespot (2 "misc" games not included in statistics on both sides), Adventure and Action Adventure is counted as "Adventure".

An exclusive counted as exclusive for CONSOLES, meaning if the game is coming to PC and 1 Console, its per definition exclusive.
---

Personal note:
I am a normal human being, thus there is a probability for error in both the source material and the statistics. Most likely some games that are 3rd party exclusive for Sony might be listed as 2nd party (because some of the games where not double checked, but based on my own memory, these are only big titles tho, so it shouldnt be many).

Gamespot was used as a source for the listings, some games may have been annouced as exclusive or not exclusive but still be listed wrongfully, i have tried to fix such errors, but i might have missed a few. You might not find a particular game in the source material, simply because it hasnt been put into Gamespots Database yet. Don't argue with me about genre definitions, its what gamespot used as genres for the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way you can post a list of all these games? I find it so hard to keep up. As for the stats, if accurate, i find it interesting that the reputation the 360 has for having an abundance of FPS's is not well founded, and in fact in percentage terms, the PS3 has more straight shooters on the way or released than the 360.

Where are all the sports games for the PS3?

Edit: There they are

I could, but it requires alot of copy\paste work, il try to do it later tho. Also with stats for exclusive games.

(Since gamespots listings (and gamerankings listings) have like 8 different brackets with info for each game thats listed).

well don't if it's too much bother, we are talking about 600 odd games here, so it was only if you had a list to hand. It may be interesting though to make some sort of spreadsheet from that data and track it over time.

As for the stats, if accurate, i find it interesting that the reputation the 360 has for having an abundance of FPS's is not well founded

It seems the "360 only has shooters" is the console-side equivalent of "DS only has non-games".

It seems the "360 only has shooters" is the console-side equivalent of "DS only has non-games".
I think a lot of this perspective comes from people's definitions. One person's action game may be another person's shooter if that's seen as a major gameplay element. If Ostepop does get a full list up (and +rep from me if you do!) then everyone is free to draw up their own lists!

I think a lot of this perspective comes from people's definitions. One person's action game may be another person's shooter if that's seen as a major gameplay element. If Ostepop does get a full list up (and +rep from me if you do!) then everyone is free to draw up their own lists!

I currently just used what gamespot calls a "shooter", "FPS", "Adventure" and so on.

Gonna start making a list now, i think the stats of exclusive games will be the most interesting tbh.

(if anybody know a clever way for me to filter out whats multiplattform and exclusive, please do tell.)

Can we post files on here? If so, it may be worth putting it into Excel and posting it, that would solve the exclusive vs multi platform too, since you would just add an extra column saying which it is, plus you can get some decent stats from it

Great initiave, Ostepop, much appreciated !

May be you could split the rpg section, ie western rpg/jrpg as this ratio has a great importance for lots of consumers.

can anyone clarify if the list include arcade games, or just retail games???

edit: except for that 360 other shooters with 20 arcades :)

Gah, just noticed that Gamespot are truly morons sometimes in their listing, i have to rewamp the whole list (lots of XBL titles everywhere) and i gotta merge some genres (apparently, Harry potter is an action adventure, but thesis is an Adventure game)..

Finished with the X360 list, gonna do the PS3 list later today, then make new stats etc . =)

This is what im going to do:

- Action adventure and Adventure is for statistical perpuses, one and the same genre.

- Divide RPGs into JRPG and WRPG section.

- Stats for exclusive games

- Figure out some easy way to Copy\paste from Word to excel and make my life easier.

I would not put too much effort into a multi- vs exclusive list, as there will be announcements later that will change some from one bucket to the other bucket.
That shouldn't be a problem for 1st parties ;)

I'd say one list of games is worthwhile, while an exclusives list should maybe be kept to first parties. That's the list I'd be most interested to see.

New stats , filtered out Arcade games and PSN games.

As you can see new information and stats about exclusive games.

Source material uploaded.

Wow! Excellent job Ostepop! I'm really interested in revisiting this topic periodically and looking at changes in terms of exclusives and number of games.

I don't even know if i CAN plus rep you, but I will if i can :D

The truth? :D j/k.

It just seems like all the monster hits on Xbox are exclusively FPS these days. In a way it's trending the same for PS3. It's been interesting to watch the takeover of FPS, from being considered unplayable on consoles, dominant on PC, to being arguably dominant on both platforms. Wii excepted here from this discussion.

However, some of the biggest hits are still, Racers, GTA style games, those can buck the FPS trend from time to time.

What were the top games this past fall for 360? The list would look like, Rainbow Six, Gears, COD3, the three biggest, all FPS basically.

PS3, Resistance obviously.

I know people hate Halo but I definitly think it kicked off the trend in a big way. I know I had always considered console FPS unplayable before Halo, the system I had before was Dreamcast and FPS were excruciating on it, Halo was the first that changed all that for me, not only playable but one of the best games ever.

Hell you can almost frame the whole Wii/Ds versus traditional "power" consoles in terms of FPS versus Mini/party games if you think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

It just seems like all the monster hits on Xbox are exclusively FPS these days. In a way it's trending the same for PS3. It's been interesting to watch the takeover of FPS, from being considered unplayable on consoles, dominant on PC, to being arguably dominant on both platforms. Wii excepted here from this discussion.

What were the top games this past fall for 360? The list would look like, Rainbow Six, Gears, COD3, the three biggest, all FPS basically.

FWIW lost planet and dead rising both sold 1 million copies, neither were FPS.

Er, I'm a bit confused with totals/exclusives. See, there are 284 games for the X360 and 109 of those are exclusives; this means that the other 175 are multiplatform and will be released on the PS3 too? But there are only 184 announced games on that console so I don't see how tihs adds up.

Then again I'm sleepy and off to bed, so it's probably my mistake here.

I think a lot of this perspective comes from people's definitions.

Actually I think the perspective is just wrong. As is obvious from these stats, it's a stereotype that is not based on the reality of the 360's game library. I've argued that here before, nice to see the numbers to back it up.

There is little doubt that the PFS genre has become really big genre even in the console space and who would have thought that the number one launch game for the PS3 would have been an FPS. I wonder what is next, now that the HD era is here will we see the strategy genre moving over in full force as well...

Back