My thoughts on the Nintendo situation. (I am a Nintendo fan)

I think you're a little too quick to deem the cube unprofitable Johnny. I doubt Nintendo takes much of a loss on the hardware and the amount they lose is probably compensated by memory card sales alone. If you then consider how well Nintendo's first party titles sell and the large profit margins on first party titles compared to third party, I'd say the cube probably has been pretty profitable for Nintendo. It is a failure in the sense that it lost huge amount of marketshare to MS and has very poor third party support at this point in its life, but I doubt it actually didn't generate a profit.

Obviously Nintendo can't continue to lose marketshare and still be profitable, they need to fund R&D to stay competetive, so they still need to do something next gen. I doubt they will change their ways, but you never know.

GameCat said:
I'm not so sure the revealing of Xenon will kill off Xbox completely. Besides a price drop could probably mitigate the effect. It will certainly kill off some of the momentum, but I'm not sure sales figures will be as low as for the cube.

And whether you like Mario or not, there is very little third party support on the cube, which is bad for the consumer. Choice is good. And Nintendo doesn't seem to be doing anything to attract more third parties to the cube really, their happy with collaborating with other japanese devs they already have good relations with to bring us the likes of Starfox assault and Mario Baseball.

IF i hate crash bandicot or whatever his name was but the game was the second coming i would buy it in a heart beat .

IF the game sucked and i hated crash i wouldn't buy it .

Nintendo's exclusive in-house produced library simply isn't diversified enough. Yes the younger age bracket developed software is extremely lucrative, anyone who says the contrary is blind. But so is its opposite, even moreso. If EAD could leverage an equal portfolio, some titles aimed at the younger or all ages audience, with the equivalent amount of software aimed at the broader teen to mature demographic, Nintendo would see exponential marketshare growth IMO.

They definitely possess the talent, they simply must be willing to take the risks, even if it means outsourcing more to talented developers for guaranteed exclusivity. With what they've witnessed with Halo 2 & GTA:SA this holiday season, this should definitely give them something to evaluate regarding the market. (regarding the immense teen to mature market) MP should sell another 2-300k next month, making it the fastest seller other than Pokemon produced by Nintendo this year.

Grow Retro to the size of Rare, give them free creative reign regarding new IPs while definitely keeping Metroid development in-house. Follow RE4's & the new LOZ's market receptions very closely Nintendo. As I feel the new LOZ will outsell even SSB:M in a much shorter time expanse.

Li Mu Bai said:
Nintendo's exclusive in-house produced library simply isn't diversified enough. Yes the younger age bracket developed software is extremely lucrative, anyone who says the contrary is blind. But so is its opposite, even moreso. If EAD could leverage an equal portfolio, some titles aimed at the younger or all ages audience, with the equivalent amount of software aimed at the broader teen to mature demographic, Nintendo would see exponential marketshare growth IMO.

They definitely possess the talent, they simply must be willing to take the risks, even if it means outsourcing more to talented developers for guaranteed exclusivity. With what they've witnessed with Halo 2 & GTA:SA this holiday season, this should definitely give them something to evaluate regarding the market. (regarding the very broad teen to mature market) MP should sell another 2-300k next month, making it the fastest seller other than Pokemon produced by Nintendo this year.

Grow Retro to the size of Rare, give them free creative reign regarding new IPs while definitely keeping Metroid development in-house. Follow RE4's & the new LOZ's market receptions very closely Nintendo. As I feel the LOZ will outsell even SSB:M in a much shorter time expanse.

that wont happen, and even if it did its already too late. most people hate nintendo and hate the gamecube even more. secondly the ps2 will have eveyrthing uve just listed, only in larger ammoun(and probably with online.) not to mention a host of other features people think are cool.

that wont happen, and even if it did its already too late. most people hate nintendo and hate the gamecube even more. secondly the ps2 will have eveyrthing uve just listed, only in larger ammoun(and probably with online.) not to mention a host of other features people think are cool.

For the GC yes, not the Revolution however which will be going online. (as is the DS) And as mentioned earlier, online is mindshare more than marketshare currently.

hovz said:
either way, people hate nintendo.
what people ?

Besides people hate sony and they are still number 1 this gen. So this comment does nothing but turns you into a troll .

jvd said:
hovz said:
what people ?

Besides people hate sony and they are still number 1 this gen. So this comment does nothing but turns you into a troll .

go to any mall, electronic store, toy store and ask anyone not under 11. they will generally tell you the gamecube sucks. or if they bought one previously that they hate it and wanna sell it.

If they would grow Retro to the size of Rara, how could they make sure that the new people are as good as the current people?

hovz said:

Where is your proof for such a strong statements? I know a lot of people who love their Cube, N64, SNES, NES, and GameBoys--and in general really like Nintendo and the Nintendo franchises. You and your tastes do not equate to "people". I am not defenind Nintendo here. It would be fair to say that the GameCube has not sold as well as the Xbox or PS2, but is it because people hate Nintendo? Is it because they hate the GameCube? Or is it other factors? I would say other factors, primarily Nintendo's poor relationship with 3rd parties and the "kiddy" image so many force on Nintendo (which they did not help with the purple box with a handle) have much more to do with poor (comparatively) sales than people "hating" Nintendo.

There is a difference between the general public having more interest in the PS2 and Xbox than the GameCube and your statement that "people hate nintendo". The fact you cannot make a distinction between the company and a single product is telling.

You may hate Nintendo--so what. A lot of people hate Sony and MS also--So what, that is irrelevant also. To me it is a sign of fanboyism and immaturity. "People" is much broader than a small group or one individual's taste, and the success/failure of a single product is not indicative about the overall feeling about a company. Nintendo's 1st party games AND the strong NDS/GameBoy sales tell me people do not hate Nintendo. I know this is a shock, but your opinion and taste is not equivalent to "people".

Personally my preference is good games. While perception plays a big part of a systems success, I find it funny how so many will praise any success of Sony/Nintendo/MS, or others who will jump on any oppurtunity to point out a failure of said companies. I think these companies build up enough of their own hype that we do not need to help it at all. Just a thought. :?

first of all i dont hate nintendo. i dont care at all for consoles. i havent owned one in almost 10 years. my statement comes from working at many electronics stores and talking to alot of people about videogames. people generally hate nintendo. they dont say things like "i like the ps2 better than the gamecube", they say "the gamecube sucks, i hate that piece of shit. maybe if i was 7 id think about buying one." yes there are people who like nintendo, but their are about 20x more who hate them.

hovz said:
jvd said:
hovz said:
what people ?

go to any mall, electronic store, toy store and ask anyone not under 11. they will generally tell you the gamecube sucks. or if they bought one previously that they hate it and wanna sell it.

so apparently all the hundreds of thousands of cubes being sold as we speak are bought by infants below 11 years of age :idea:

hovz said:
jvd said:
hovz said:
what people ?

Anyone? I am anyone and I do not hate it or Nintendo. NGC sales were quite good last November-December and games like MP and Zelda have done very well, well enough to be considered some of the best games of this generation.

Anyhow, this post demonstrates my point: You are unable to make a distinction between the GameCube and Nintendo. You are also unable to make a distinction between your feelings and "people" in general. NGC definately has lost steam and is not a success in the sense of marketshare, but strong 1st party sales, strong GC lineup, and the great DS launch show "people" do not hate Nintendo.

i said they will GENERALLY SAY. obviously not every single person hates nintendo. the fact that 1 of the best games, metroid 2, sold like 1/20th of other big name games shows how much people like nintendo and its systems. why dont you go and talk to people who are in videogame stores what they think fo NINTENDO.

hovz said:
i said they will GENERALLY SAY. obviously not every single person hates nintendo. the fact that 1 of the best games, metroid 2, sold like 1/20th of other big name games shows how much people like nintendo and its systems. why dont you go and talk to people who are in videogame stores what they think fo NINTENDO.

#1 Your previous statements are all encompassing--"PEOPLE". #2 Your use of "general" was odd and took it to mean the general statements (as you listed a few examples) and not an "average". I can see what you intended now, but this is definately a change from your 2 initial claims that people hate Nintendo. You need to stop talking in all encompassing terms. #3 Who says I have not talked to people in videogame stores? You assume a lot.

My observation from your posts is that you associate your experience with the facts. I know a LOT of people who "hate" Sony, Apple, MS, and so on. Even if the people I come in contact with in my area or store dislike certain companies this is by no means a general borameter. Take this observation as constructive criticism :)

The bottom line is thus: Nintendo is not only profitable (for the time being...) but also has FANTASTIC sales. SOMEONE, specifically "people" in general, are buying their stuff. Why? Because people do not hate Nintendo. Their sales may not be fantastic with the NGC, but certainly with the GameBoy brand. And the DS has had an excellent launch, demonstrating Nintendo still has excellent mindshare. These people buying these games/systems may not be the people you personally talk with, but they certainly are a SIGNIFICANT portion of "people".

You need to remember when you say "people" that is a lot broader than the people you personally talk with. Your experience is not universal and should not be used as such. Looking at Nintendo sales "in general" tells me "people" really like Nintendo. The distinctions between you/your contacts and "people" and Nintendo and the NGC are significant.

All I am asking is you either back up your statement that "people hate nintendo" or at least clarify and sharpen the comment. As it stands now the sales evidence clearly shows your all encompassing statement is false.

To be fair, I should note that Paper Mario 2 (332,000) is on its way to doing about as well as Paper Mario on N64 (503,000) in the US market, but I'm wondering why they made this the big Japanese Nintendo game this holiday instead of something with a little more punch like a true Donkey Kong sequel.

jvd said:
hovz said:
what people ?

I would add, that in the real world, which extends beyond this forum, people do not hate Nintendo, Sony or MS and consoles are only entertainment objects.

You do not have to hate anything you do not buy. Most people are happy with one console, and at the current time, Sony's consoles are the most diverse offer (that is why, even as a Nintendo fan, I point to the ps2 when one of my casual friend ask for a purchase advice).

PC-Engine said:
SONY has $12 Billion in debt
MS has zero debt
Nintendo has zero debt and makes the same amount of profits as SONY, that's pretty scary.

Sony probably brings in a lot more than nintendo, but also spends a lot more. Sony produces more than nintendo does in technology and whatever and makes the same profits.

Hmm, so there are people that just don't like any nintendo games, no matter what they are. Well apparently there are plenty that don't like xbox games either, as ps2 still has an extremely large lead over xbox. I know plenty of people who hate halo, and see nothing else worth having on xbox. They also only see the gamecube as worthwhile for the random multiplayer games that come out every now and then, and PS2 because it has games like GTA, Manhunt, Hitman, and sports titles.(so ps2 is the most worth having to them, since it's the only one they can enjoy alone)

BTW, I don't know if it's been posted in this thread but didn't Viewtiful Joe 2 sell under 10,000 copies so far? I guess that's why it had the sudden price drop, but it appears it can't compete against all the juggarnauts being launched.(the advertising campaign for VJ2 really sucks though, talk about low budget)

Guden Oden said:
I saw one poster throw a tantrum going "waahhh, there's too new games on the cube, Pikmin 14 and donkey konga 29 and mario party 85, WAHHH!"

(snip)

Where are the Zone of the Enders and the Devil May Cries, I ask?

(snip)

Nintendo is getting increasingly marginalized in the minds of the public and amongst 3rd party devs, and it's like that doesn't matter, like they think, "well, we've always got Mario anyway!" Sorry, but we're getting f'n tired of f'n mario by now. Time to come up with something new!

I won't speak on behalf of MP, becaue I never liked that series to begin with, but you shot your own argument in the foot IMO by listing Pikmin and Donkey Konga... they're unique little gems in GC's library (DK not so much overall but in Nintendo's library it sure is), much more so than Devil May Cry which, while clever and fun, isn't entirely unique, and ZotE is another Mech game, really, just with extremely good graphics.

And neither of those two games has "f'n mario" at all. ;)

Back