Transformers - Trailer

How could megatron be done realistically tho? I mean, come on, a full sized 'bot as big as the others that transforms into a hangun that fits into the palm of their hands?

This one transforms into a tank.
G1-G2%20Megatron.jpg

And the problem isnt just what he can transform into. Its his looks. Which is a mess. they could have made him transform into a rocket if they wanted to but atleast KEEP HIS ORIGINAL STYLE!! He barely used his transformation in the series anyways
Its exactly what Alstrong said. Its as if they put him into a blender

edit: On a second note they ve said in the past they were planning to add Soundwave in the movie and he will transform into a stereo system or a CD player or something they said. I dont think they are going to make him transform into a gicantic CD player are they?
Anyways thats the least problem. They are dead ugly and the movie has many many many many differences. They only common thing this movie seems to have with transformers are giant transforming robots from outer space. Nothing more

Last edited by a moderator:
On a slightly different subject, Wikipedia reports that Megatron is massive - 10.3m versus 8.5m for Optimus Prime when both are transformed. And the rest of the Autobots are half that height. Backout is supposed to be even bigger.

However I must admit that I don't really care about any changes from earlier incarnations. The movie looks like great popcorn fun and the transitions (robot -> vehicle and vice versa) look great, which I think is all that matters.

I agree. I understand how people can be a little mad, but I just get the feeling some are to attached..

How could megatron be done realistically tho? I mean, come on, a full sized 'bot as big as the others that transforms into a hangun that fits into the palm of their hands?

Exactly, and that is the reason they had to change him. Soundwave is another who they said would be changed. Bumble Bee (Goldbug) also was stated to have changed due to Volkswagon not wanting their car in the movie.

Obviously sticking to the basic premise would be good. Prime should be a semi of some sort. Starscream a jet. And so forth. One of the things that came out of G1 was explaining WHY they were what they were and how they assimulated "modern" technology. So while some changes are certain to be dumb (e.g. the cop car), in general I am expecting some. IMO The Megatron robot (the Cybertron version) is darn scary and accomplishes with Decepticons are about: Fear, destruction, and exploitation without the smallest of concerns for the non-senitent pond scum located on the planet they intend to rape and enslave.

What I hope they don't mess up are the characters. A big part of TFs, beyond the mythos, was the fact they were not just machines, but could be "graded" on in intelligence, strength, speed, stamina, and so forth. And most importantly was their individual ethos. Optimus Prime was Optimus Prime not because he was just smarter and stronger (although that helped), but because he truly believed in defending the defenseless and ALWAYS doing the right thing, even if it ment personal sacrifice. This was his greatest strength and weakness and was what defined his leadership.

The trailer looks very good quality. I hope the story is well developed, as well as doesn't take any shortcuts. e.g. I would love for them to setup the dinobots and so forth for a sequal. There is bound to be some artistic license taken. Stuff like Beast Wars (meh) took a lot. What I hope is they capture the personas and take the theme of good v. evil to a modern/adult stage with real fear and destruction while working in the original characters, what they stood for, and somehow working in the concept of transforming and masking of not only that they are robots, but also what side they are on. What scares me is it seems from the trailer there is a human "love" story involved :???: They could learn a lot from Gollum and Kong and try to focus and represent Prime as the main character, with Megatron as the chief antagonist. Fear, hate, anger, pain, suffering and so forth from Megatron and all the opposite from Prime.

Does anyone read my posts? Megatron's transformation has nothing to do with the looks and design of the robot. He could have been more faithful to the original, not necessarilly the same and not necessarilly too different and still transform into something more "realistic" such as a Tank (just like the above pic), a rocket, a spacecraft or even that Alien Jet. Alterations and changes are acceptable and I was expecting them but these are above normal.

Megatron's looks seems barbaric and like a fearless killing machine but its "soulless"

The differences are overdone. Only Optimus Prime got the appropriate treatment looking both up do todays standards and maintaining some familiar characteristics.

The others went too far. This is even worse than the Beast Wars and Armada designs

I don't mind changes that update the disguise mode to something more realistic, it's just that the robot modes look really fugly. But hey, I guess they gotta get around the whole human-mouth on robot issue... by making them look so f*cked up you don't want to see them.

ugh. looking at Megatron now makes me want to scratch my face off.

Ok i also thought "Some of you guys need to get a bit of a life"... But that was before i saw what they did to Megatron. I mean, i'm not even a "fan" and i still consider that an abomination.

Really, it's just... too much... From a design point of view, there're just too much in there! And that's even before you take into account what the original looked like!

Bad bad bad. I'll still probably see the movie, but really... Whoever hired those designers should be shot. With the designers of course.

Are you sure? Because TF:TM had tons of electronic music in it and it was one of the reasons I was mesmerised by the soundtrack ;)

Absolutely - The Vince DiCola side of the soundtrack was (and is) awesome, and probably laid the foundations for much of my musical tastes now. Hell, I still listen to the whole thing quite often (thank you Napster for helping me find all the tracks not on the officially released soundtrack back in the day!), and it never fails to blow me away.

That's definitely Optimus Prime. Why couldn't they have done that with Megatron and the others? Blech....

Could be wrong, but IIRC a pre-prod interview revealed that every robot will have two forms - one for Cybertron and one for Earth. Could be that we haven't seen both of Megatron's yet.

Could be wrong, but IIRC a pre-prod interview revealed that every robot will have two forms - one for Cybertron and one for Earth. Could be that we haven't seen both of Megatron's yet.

That is what I was thinking. Even in the cartoons they had 2 forms (their earth forms assimulated in the ark for repairs and to fit within the world). Megatron starting off as his Cybertron would make sense, only to later choose a disguise.

You know, write an awesome script with the TF methology to build upon and the ENDLY possibilities sounds far, FAR too easy. Therefore we can be certain Hollywood screwed it up.

Exactly, and that is the reason they had to change him. Soundwave is another who they said would be changed.

Initially I felt the same way, but then I realised that these were alien chameleons we're talking about. How do we know that aliens don't have the ability to change mass/size? If they wanted to make it work they could create a short scene where it is explained why they can also change in size? I don't think the average Joe will be all that bothered with this small issue. The hardcore fans would accept it without much fuss if you give them a believable scenario.

Initially I felt the same way, but then I realised that these were alien chameleons we're talking about. How do we know that aliens don't have the ability to change mass/size? If they wanted to make it work they could create a short scene where it is explained why they can also change in size? I don't think the average Joe will be all that bothered with this small issue. The hardcore fans would accept it without much fuss if you give them a believable scenario.

How does a 50 ton robot become a 2lb radio?

People complained about War of the Worlds and how the aliens got here (if their machines were here for ages, before humans, why haven't they built up resistance through samples/previous exposures or assessed the risks and created antibodies?) and thought it unreasable and unrealistic, then I don't see how the above would fly under the radar ;)

I think the best route is they should focus on the transformers that best fit their movie, adapting only slightly where necessary, and also feel free to have huge transformers and small ones. The series had a number of smaller bots, as they had advantages, so it would not seem odd. The fact many of the averaged sized autobots are common, smallish cars I think should be emphasized as it would naturally open the door for even smaller, stealth transformers. It also allows more deception and interaction with humans... although the sense I get is they are all huge and here to destroy, and tape cassette sized transformers just don't work that way ;) Of course Soundwave could be something larger with a CD/Cassette player... maybe he has little decepticon SD disks and all sorts of gizmos :p

Hey if scientists say that earth can become the size of an apple if compressed then I am expecting anything from an alien robot made out of alien metal :LOL:

Hey if scientists say that earth can become the size of an apple if compressed then I am expecting anything from an alien robot made out of alien metal :LOL:

Exactly!:p

But seriously, this is TRANSFORMERS (cartoon turned movie) for crying out loud, not some best selling scfi novel turned movie where everything needs to make perfect scientific sense. In other words I don't think changes in mass would be out of bounds for this movie. Just look at hulk, people don't seem to be complaining about how he can shrink to a "puny human" from a two story, green body builder and he's just as cartoon as transformers. In fact the only thing I hear people complaining about is how he keeps his boxers from ripping froms stretching to an equivalent size 500 waist.:LOL:

It doesn't mean the earth would weigh the same as an apple though. I'd be curious as to who you think would be holding that 50 ton handgun? =p

Sure they can explain it away with voodoo and alien technology, but I think it's nice they went with the more realistic route on this one. The robot design is another story (haven't seen them yet -- can't view the site here), so I can't say on that one.

I was just kidding there but I think a tank is a very good choice since there were already versions of Megatron transforming to a tank without sacrificing his original looks based on one of the artwork I posted :)

Back