Transformers - Trailer

Heh, this transformer discussion yesterday made me go buy the 20th anniversary Transformers the Movie dvd...

The movie was better than I remember, even!

Gotta admit, when I first heard about this movie I thought it was going to be a real fizzer. But the trailers and those shots have got me real excited about it now.

I hope they pump out a trilogy - bring Unicron into the picture. :) Now that would make a heck of a live action movie.

I was kinda bummed when I read the Empire preview on it because the first thing they actually talk about on the movie is how expensive Optimus Prime (and, in fact, any of the TF) is due to the CG costs of them. IIRC its this reason that Optimus isn't actually seen (at least, in robot form) until half way through the movie.

For this reason I suspect that all out, planet transforming wars aren't going to be on the cards for some time! I hope this element doesn't wreck the movie and also hope that it gets enough in the box office to increasr the CG budget on any follow ups!

I'm still not really liking the new designs. It'll take some convincing for me to go see it... They even changed the plot of the two factions crash landing a long time ago and only recently surfacing...

:/

I was kinda bummed when I read the Empire preview on it because the first thing they actually talk about on the movie is how expensive Optimus Prime (and, in fact, any of the TF) is due to the CG costs of them. IIRC its this reason that Optimus isn't actually seen (at least, in robot form) until half way through the movie.

My biggest concern is that the movie revolves too much around the human couple instead of Autobots and Decepticons, and what you said somewhat raises my concerns. Please be good.

Oh wow didn't know the toys were already out. Has anyone bought any? Blackout isn't released yet. He'll be the most awesome toy I'd imagine.

This thread reminds me: Where's Danny gone? Haven't seen him post for a while... :(

And yes, the trailer of Transformers: Very cool, me like! :D

I read at IGN that Shia LeBoiuf is hitting the gym for the sequels to the Transformers movie...so thats good news if this movie turns out to be good!

I bought my ticket today, but the showing is not until next thursday, well atleast I got great seats at my favourite theater (first row balcony seats and the ability to fully extend my legs...Sweet!) So far it seems to have really high points at IMDB and people seem to be quite excited about it. Can't wait to see Optimus...

I never watched the cartoon as a child. Would that somehow prevent me from having ANY idea what was happening? Is this one of those movies, much like LOTR where I didn't read the books and was completely lost, where you would need a great deal of background information to understand?

I never watched the cartoon as a child. Would that somehow prevent me from having ANY idea what was happening? Is this one of those movies, much like LOTR where I didn't read the books and was completely lost, where you would need a great deal of background information to understand?

No, it would do horrible if people left confused. It should be very open ended and really you should be able to get enjoyment out of it just because of the CGI.

Don't worry. I have already seen it. I think it actually helps a bit when you didn't know any of the old series. At least you won't be bothered by the deviations. Basic background info is provided in the movie.

*no spoilers, but I'm very cynical*
*ok maybe very vauge spoliers... Possibly*
*don't read this if you aren't cynical*

Saw this movie tonight, it's good. The robot action is simply awesome. StarScream is easily my favorite :p

However... The human 'action' varied from amusing, to tolerable, to down right awkward. Teen' double entendres all over the place. The opening 'school room' scene was a cliched joke, in fact I'd say it was utterly pathetic.

Also the two characters most involved in the 'signal hacking' subplot are possibly the worst cast in history - and their entire point (all ~10+ minutes of their screen time) was to fill a very minor plot device. Not to mention that the actual hacking made swordfish look realistic :-/

But.. I cannot stress how freaking awesome the action is. Utterly. Totally. Awesomely awesome. If only there were more damnit. (It feels like the teen guy whats-his-name and the girl are the main plot focus, not the robots).
Some of the slow mo scenes in the final street battle are just laugh out loud awesome. Every scene is just going utterly crazy. And then it's over. There is a rather pathetic monologue and before you know it, the teens are making out on bumble bee, while opty' watches.

Sigh. So had it had 40%+ of the human sequences cut and have been given a longer final action scene, it would have been utterly phenomenal.
It's like a better paced pearl harbour, but with transforms instead of aircraft, and 'hot' angsty teens instead of... er... angsty 20'somethings...

There are a extra few scenes in the credits, and the last blatantly sets up a sequel. But once the main credit roll starts, that's it.

*and my god there is product placement EVERYWHERE*. I mean like crazy everywhere

Last edited by a moderator:
Back