Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they tested the backwards compatibility on the development kit does that mean that emulating xbox 360 on Pc may be possible? unless they already have silicon or their test is not actual game-play but compatibility issues.

Yes, it should be possible if the information N2O has been given is accurate.

Conversely, There was someone at NVIDIA who said recently that PC GPU's are now 24 times the power of console GPU's. He was trying to hype up his product of course, bu this person was also being completely disingenuous because he was referring to dual GPU's(like the 690) and not the 680 which is roughly 12x 360 exactly in theoretical peak floating point operations.

Your failing to account for the massive efficiency gains since xenos. A 24x performance increase is perfectly reasonable for the 680 over Xenos. 680 shaders would easily be twice as efficient.

The lack of increase in power isn't anything to do with pc gpus being 'only 12x more powerful than curreny generation consoles' (which isn't the case) and everything to do with cost and power budgets being the same as they were last generation.

And about BC
Right now MS tested 200+ 360 games run on Durango,about 80% can play on Durango,others need patch or they will give up .

First line is my guess based on AMD china guy source.
Second line is my source,i know a MS guy but he never told me any important part.
Might need to get your source checked, that's bogus info.

Your failing to account for the massive efficiency gains since xenos. A 24x performance increase is perfectly reasonable for the 680 over Xenos. 680 shaders would easily be twice as efficient.

The lack of increase in power isn't anything to do with pc gpus being 'only 12x more powerful than curreny generation consoles' (which isn't the case) and everything to do with cost and power budgets being the same as they were last generation.

They might have 24x the shader power but they only have 6x the fill and texel rate....

And the GTX 680 is bandwidth starved.....

BC on current machines is a mess so I think the average consumer will not be expecting much from BC next time around.

And considering the possible differences in hardware that might happen BC might be next to impossible to acheive at a level that'll be acceptable to offer to the consumer.

You'd think that Sony and MS would have thought ahead and put out a set of libraries and/or restrictions for downloadable apps that would render them more easy to run on their next-gen consoles.

I guess both have done a little in this direction. Sony has their 'minis' program, but I've never seen a Mini that is worth playing on the current consoles, let alone the next.

Microsoft has XNA for indie developers, but I don't know whether any full XBLA games are written using it.

BC on current machines is a mess so I think the average consumer will not be expecting much from BC next time around.

And considering the possible differences in hardware that might happen BC might be next to impossible to acheive at a level that'll be acceptable to offer to the consumer.

I still play online what I consider one of the best shooters of this generation...Shadowrun. Everyone that still plays is paying for Xbox Live. I feel it would be a real punk move to throw these gamers and myself under bus. Valve always put its customers first hence why they have a loyal fanbase. I don't want Michael Pachter world where consummers are punished for liking a game.

Obviously when I get a 720 I"ll want new shiny games...but if those aren't deep skill based games it would be nice if the game is still a fallback option. To artifically kill off games that have managed to survive because gamers enjoy them is totally lame. That is an absurd way to manage the Live platform. Make games better than Shadowrun so I don't want to play it.

Let games fade to black if gamers don't want to play them. If 3 years from now a bunch of people want to play Gears of War 2 online they should be able to.

They might have 24x the shader power but they only have 6x the fill and texel rate....

And the GTX 680 is bandwidth starved.....

It's actually more like 8x which with efficiency gains is going to be well over 10x. Not as much as the shader increase of course but shaders are the limiting factor these days and thus they are a better measure of the power increase than other factors.

And I wouldn't call it starved, it would benefit from more certainly but double the bandwidth and you might just eek out 15% more performance. Roughly speaking the bandwidth is sufficient to support the core performance - NV wouldn't have released it in any other way. A real world shader throughput of 24x isn't unrealistic with everything else being in the ballpark of at least 10-12x. But modern workloads put far more emphesis on shaders than they did at the launch of the current generation.

If 3 years from now a bunch of people want to play Gears of War 2 online they should be able to.

But at what cost? And that's even assuming emulation is even possible.

Atleast Microsoft are in a better position then Sony, emulating Cell is going to be a complete bastard on x86 based hardware, especially Cells EIB bus ring linking the SPU's.

Nah i just don't mind if my source is wrong if he can give us some info.
You know,i just posting what i heard,it's not like i'm working for MS or Sony or Nintendo

But if the info is wrong it just causes confusion. bkilian is a confirmed MS insider I think and is probably more reliable.

But if the info is wrong it just causes confusion. bkilian is a confirmed MS insider I think and is probably more reliable.
Confirmed ex-MS insider :) Gave up the habit a couple of months ago, but like all habits, I may relapse at some point. This last stint was my second time around, so I already know I'm susceptible :)

Confirmed ex-MS insider :) Gave up the habit a couple of months ago, but like all habits, I may relapse at some point. This last stint was my second time around, so I already know I'm susceptible :)

Hey, relapse all you want! I'm all ears.....;)

I do wonder that now we are starting to get leaks from the Microsoft side, when do we start to hear about the PS4?

Absolutely nothing from them so far.:cry:

There have only been 3 legitimate leaks (with actual info) that I have seen, only one from inside Microsoft, and that one was actually more confusing than useful.

There have only been 3 legitimate leaks (with actual info) that I have seen, only one from inside Microsoft, and that one was actually more confusing than useful.

1. Internal PPT doc from 2010.
2. Sweetvar26.
3. Superdae's pictures and vgleak's pictures of the back of the dev kit.

4 If you count the original pastebin article from December 2011.

:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back