Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Bulldozer can make a great console CPU. just don't wish for eight cores or even eight modules - two bulldozer modules would seem just about enough, with a 64bit memory controller if it's a standalone chip and maybe no L3.
That provides huge single thread performance, destroying current consoles CPUs, and may be enough multi-threading - beyond that there are diminishing returns, more need for L3 and bandwith, ring bus etc.

It seems better to me than a sea of weak cores - we're trying to build a gaming computer not a high traffic server.
and more code will be able to run on the gpu, due to next-gen architecture with coherent PCIe 3.0 or hypertransport link to the cpu and unified address space. that may be good for some of the massively parallel fantasies.

I believe Bulldozer can make a great console CPU. just don't wish for eight cores or even eight modules - two bulldozer modules would seem just about enough, with a 64bit memory controller if it's a standalone chip and maybe no L3.
That provides huge single thread performance, destroying current consoles CPUs, and may be enough multi-threading - beyond that there are diminishing returns, more need for L3 and bandwith, ring bus etc.
But at what price? Bulldozer is the newest and greatest AMD CPU, it won't be sold cheap.
I feel the best x86 deal they can get is an old, and therefore not so marketable quad core Athlon X4, which would be enough for a next gen console. Of course they'll need to be able to make them at 28nm, and who's going to sell cheap 28nm wafers when all the latest high margin CPU and GPU's are using up all of them?

I wouldn't bet on the new generation consoles repeating the high cost negative margin stuff we've come to expect. Nintendo has proved that it's not all about horsepower anymore.

I wouldn't bet on the new generation consoles repeating the high cost negative margin stuff we've come to expect. Nintendo has proved that it's not all about horsepower anymore.

Nintendo has proved a lot of things, but It might not be very easy to follow their lead. I would agree it's probable, that we wont see the repeat of the cold war arms race, but you can't throw all your nukes away either, meaning that you can't let the other have a major advantage in power. So I don't expect either MS or Sony launch with a 100w or less system. Unless you already know better ;)

You don't need to create a negative margin console next gen.

IF we take the $400 price range and use only off the shelf parts.

You can put together a

phenom x 6 2.8ghz
8 gigs of ddr 3 1666 (or whatever speed it is )
radeon 6870 with 1 gig v ram
mobo
case

and spend right about $400 on it . This is with multiple levels of market up involved and in 2011.

A next gen console after the 32/28nm shrink could be even more powerful

believe Bulldozer can make a great console CPU. just don't wish for eight cores or even eight modules - two bulldozer modules would seem just about enough, with a 64bit memory controller if it's a standalone chip and maybe no L3.

why not just go with the standard 4/8 bulldozer config that hits desktops later this year. They will be on 32nm and should from what I understand be smaller than the current phenom II x6 parts currently on the market. Price would come down with thenext micron drop at 22nm and unlike cell or waternoose there will be at least a year of high production amounts to increase yields .

But at what price? Bulldozer is the newest and greatest AMD CPU, it won't be sold cheap.
I feel the best x86 deal they can get is an old, and therefore not so marketable quad core Athlon X4, which would be enough for a next gen console. Of course they'll need to be able to make them at 28nm, and who's going to sell cheap 28nm wafers when all the latest high margin CPU and GPU's are using up all of them?

AMD is hurting for money , their cpu busniess is not doing so great and its mostly the gpu side keeping them in the plus this year. If amd can forge a good deal with MS for millions of chips over a 5-10 year period it could greatly help their bottom line.

lets look at amd's line up .Their flagship phenom II x6 sits at just $240 . The sempron LE 1250 sits at just $30 .

Their average selling price of desktop cpus will be very low , in the $100 range .

So if amd can sell the bulldozer cpus at a profit to MS and keep fabs at capacity it may be a very good deal for amd .

You might say they can sell every chip they make and that remains to be seen , we don't know how well bulldozer will do against sandy bridge and future intel cpus.

So lets say it costs AMD $50 bucks to make a bulldozer on 32nm . They turn around and sell it to MS for $75. They are now getting $25 profit per cpu. The xbox 360 has sold 50m units. They are looking at 1.25 billion dollars which if i recall is pretty much the amount they settled with intel for . That is a good chunk of coin for them.

On the flip side as micron process move foward amd will be able to make chips per wafer as MS will never need faster chips or more cores . So every year as yields go up or micron processes shrink amd will devote less and less fab space to MS . On the same side the cost per chip will drop even with a $25 charge for liscensing.

PSP2 is really powerfull and probably will be sold with a loss, so sony's mind hasn't changed with wii ds and 3ds, and *probably* ps4 will be another powerhouse, so microsoft will try to compete in performance and we'll have another generation like this
in my opinion

You can put together a
phenom x 6 2.8ghz
8 gigs of ddr 3 1666 (or whatever speed it is )
radeon 6870 with 1 gig v ram
mobo
case
and spend right about $400 on it . This is with multiple levels of market up involved and in 2011.
You're joking, right? That spec is closer to $800 than $400. In fact just the cpu and gpu are $400 alone there. Then you have the motherboard, hard drive, case, memory, power supply, and the cost to assemble it altogether, shipping, bundled controller. Easily $800.

No x86 and no flash game distribution on next generation. Max 4GB of total (system + graphics) memory, games on both DD and optical discs, and launch prices of $399 with no HDD but 16-24GB flash soldered to the motherboard for OS and caching data, while breaking even or <10% loss at launch. Motion gaming supported with every SKU. Easily removable and optional 2.5" hard drives so you can take them to to a kiosk and download the games if you want DD but don't have the internet connection required.

Last edited by a moderator:
why not just go with the standard 4/8 bulldozer config that hits desktops later this year. They will be on 32nm and should from what I understand be smaller than the current phenom II x6 parts currently on the market. Price would come down with thenext micron drop at 22nm and unlike cell or waternoose there will be at least a year of high production amounts to increase yields .

a 2/4 would use less power, be cheaper and eat less production capacity - the full bulldozer is in the power hungry territory, also 22nm will certainly help but the process will be expensive and hard to work with, we can guess.
this is my take on the "we need no 300W consoles", "cheaper is better this time" line.

think of the core i3 CPUs (both older and sandy bridge), they don't use much power and are plenty fast, look up core i3 2100 in the bench bars here :)
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/816-9/intel-core-i3-2100-lga-1155-sandy-bridge-dual-core.html

but bulldozer is already done, all the costs of designing it will be sunk already, so producing the older architecture would only make the console less efficient.

Nintendo has proved a lot of things, but It might not be very easy to follow their lead. I would agree it's probable, that we wont see the repeat of the cold war arms race, but you can't throw all your nukes away either, meaning that you can't let the other have a major advantage in power. So I don't expect either MS or Sony launch with a 100w or less system. Unless you already know better ;)
The only thing I know is both MS and Sony are smarting from the losses they've taken so far and are not going to be wanting to repeat them. Note both companies now focusing on profitability in their gaming divisions.
PSP2 is really powerfull and probably will be sold with a loss, so sony's mind hasn't changed with wii ds and 3ds, and *probably* ps4 will be another powerhouse, so microsoft will try to compete in performance and we'll have another generation like this
in my opinion
PSP2 does look pretty good, but then I also remember the PS3 had two HDMI outs, 3 Gigabit ports and 6 USB ports, all 8 SPUs, could drive two displays at once, and cured world hunger when it was announced. Sony has shown it is willing to downgrade and remove features to control costs.
I am willing to bet that the PSP2 will be revenue neutral at launch.

At this point, I'd be happy if the next XBox doubled the cores, increased the clock speed a little, and moved to an out-of-order architecture. Coupled with 4GB of unified RAM and a modestly improved GPU, it would make for a substantial increase in game possibilities. Right now I'm hoping the next game revolution will be in the AI and physics, not the graphics.

You're joking, right? That spec is closer to $800 than $400. In fact just the cpu and gpu are $400 alone there. Then you have the motherboard, hard drive, case, memory, power supply, and the cost to assemble it altogether, shipping, bundled controller. Easily $800.

No x86 and no flash game distribution on next generation. Max 4GB of total (system + graphics) memory, games on both DD and optical discs, and launch prices of $399 with no HDD but 16-24GB flash soldered to the motherboard for OS and caching data, while breaking even or <10% loss at launch. Motion gaming supported with every SKU. Easily removable and optional 2.5" hard drives so you can take them to to a kiosk and download the games if you want DD but don't have the internet connection required.

I just built it for a little over $400 for tax.

micro center has the cpu and mobo for $160 if you buy together , newegg had the 8 gigs of ram for $30 per 4 gigs of it so thats $60 your at $220 . The video card can be found for $160 after rebate so your at $380 . A case plus powersupply can be bought for as low as $50 .

So your at $430 . I guess you can add a hardrive , 1TBdrives hit for $70 now so$500 gets you a total system to plug into your tv.

Now remember each component has serveral levels of mark up. The cpu will have amd getting a hand in it and newegg along with the companys that ship the product . the ram will have more layers the manufacturer the shipper to the third party company (adata in this case ) the shipper from adata to newegg and newegg .

now remember all this is on older manufacturing tech , on 32/28nm it will cost even less

a 2/4 would use less power, be cheaper and eat less production capacity - the full bulldozer is in the power hungry territory, also 22nm will certainly help but the process will be expensive and hard to work with, we can guess.
this is my take on the "we need no 300W consoles", "cheaper is better this time" line.

think of the core i3 CPUs (both older and sandy bridge), they don't use much power and are plenty fast, look up core i3 2100 in the bench bars here
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/816-...dual-core.html

don't you think a 2/4 will be underpowered for a 2012/13 console ? even strait ports from the pc will have trouble .

Unless you feel ms would be better off going with a slower cpu and a much much larger gpu ?

I just built it for a little over $400 for tax.

micro center has the cpu and mobo for $160 if you buy together , newegg had the 8 gigs of ram for $30 per 4 gigs of it so thats $60 your at $220 . The video card can be found for $160 after rebate so your at $380 . A case plus powersupply can be bought for as low as $50 .

So your at $430 . I guess you can add a hardrive , 1TBdrives hit for $70 now so$500 gets you a total system to plug into your tv.

Now remember each component has serveral levels of mark up. The cpu will have amd getting a hand in it and newegg along with the companys that ship the product . the ram will have more layers the manufacturer the shipper to the third party company (adata in this case ) the shipper from adata to newegg and newegg .

now remember all this is on older manufacturing tech , on 32/28nm it will cost even less

You're confusing loss-leader hardware sold at microcenter with actual prices. I guarantee that newegg made a loss on that ram sale, and microcenter was just liquidating old motherboards and made a loss on their sale. Same goes with mail in rebates, they're based on the fact that many people won't send them. You also did not include any assembly costs and now have a shitty and noisy power supply and case.

In any case you're over $500 without assembly and shipping, and accessories, which will bring the price to $600. Consoles also have a retail markup, but it's 5-10% at most.

The only reason x86 is popular is the same reason the Porsche 911 is popular. It's inherently bad design but engineers have worked hard at it for years to make it work fast and work well. Intel also has an undisputed manufacturing advantage and the x86 has BC advantage for PC's, but outside of the PC/Server world, x86 is not needed. Current gen developers are already used to the PPC architecture, and PC development doesn't really drive consoles anymore outside of DirectX, which is used for GPU programming.

You're not going to see many PC ports next gen, and PC's will still remain niche for strategy games, simulations, World of Warcraft, Flash games, low budget independent games, and the occasional online shooter that sells far less than the console versions.

The only reason x86 is popular is the same reason the Porsche 911 is popular. It's inherently bad design but engineers have worked hard at it for years to make it work fast and work well.

I disagree, it's popular cause you don't have an alternative. If you want to buy a Computer you have to buy x86. It's like Porsche would be the only car out there. Sure there were times when other cars populated the cities. But the manufactures of these cars "died" one after another, cause the cars couldn't drive on the same roads as the Porsche's. They had to build their own roads or let others build the roads for them.
In exchange for the costs of building the road the road-builders would get a toll for every driver that used the road. The dilemma for the other manufactures was that they needed road-builders to sell there cars and they had to sell cars to attract road-builders.
Some of them succeeded in having roads around the big cities but none of them came close to the worldwide road network that Porsche had. Thus as time moved on more and more people sold or scrapped their cars to get a Porsche to drive to wherever they want to .... Fin

The only reason x86 is popular is the same reason the Porsche 911 is popular. It's inherently bad design but engineers have worked hard at it for years to make it work fast and work well.

For the cusual observer maybe. Dig a little deeper and you find the reasons why they aren't half bad anyway.

Cheers

there's the possibility that x86 start over with a better simpler faster internal architecture that simply emulates the older istructions?

there's the possibility that x86 start over with a better simpler faster internal architecture that simply emulates the older istructions?

With a hybrid system architecture you could introduce new elements and gradually phase out the older ones if OSs and what not follow the lead. Later on, backwards compatibility could be emulated. I'm surprised Cell BE wasn't the catalyst for this, but then again, I assume IBM probably learned some things from that design and I'm sure applied them to new Power6 and Power7.

I doubt anyone hates x86 as much as I used to.
But the one thing you can say about the architecture is that it was good enough to get to the point where the instruction set is no longer a signficant driver for the archtecture.
I just don't see it going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back