Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
For solo players, it's good. Glasses free 3D for the sitting room clearly won't be solved with this current implementation.

I'd rather see VR glasses for solo play ... you can do things like high degree FOV with them at a fraction of the cost of a big screen TV (assuming both are made in >>100K quantities).

I was kidding but using this tech in a projector would solve the viewing angle problem, no?

EDIT the glasses option seem way more interesting :)

Getting a high FOV on a flat display requires either an absolutely huge screen or a very short viewing distance.

Do 3D work in short viewing distance ? I was looking at some 3D Panny presentation and they have recommended viewing distance for each screen sizes. What happend if you're too close to the screen will the 3D just dissapear ?

Do 3D work in short viewing distance ? I was looking at some 3D Panny presentation and they have recommended viewing distance for each screen sizes. What happend if you're too close to the screen will the 3D just dissapear ?

Use common sense. If you're staring 2 inches away you aren't going to be able to see the whole image properly.

Next Xbox

CPU:power7 architecture,32nm,4Ghz,4 cores/16 threads,8MB L3

GPU:new architecture from ATI,28nm,2000M-2500M transistors

RAM:1GB or 2GB GDDR5

Storage:250G/320G HDD or 2GB/4GB nand

Controller:Kinect+ traditional controller(wireless charging)

Display:support glassless 3D TV

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of next generation processor architecture would be best fit for processing Kinect? Would it be best to return to some kind of PPC + VMX architecture and process it on the CPU or something else entirely?

Finally is it feasible to run Kinect off a GPU so long as the run time didn't interfere with rendering etc?

Next Xbox

My prediction:

Next Xbox

Release: September 2013

Getting a high FOV on a flat display requires either an absolutely huge screen or a very short viewing distance.

What would be the minimum resolution for a display that covers the whole FOV of a human eye, or both human eyes?

What kind of next generation processor architecture would be best fit for processing Kinect? Would it be best to return to some kind of PPC + VMX architecture and process it on the CPU or something else entirely?

Finally is it feasible to run Kinect off a GPU so long as the run time didn't interfere with rendering etc?

Cell would be the best.

Anyway will there be many diferences between a Cell and Fusion APU (like), by 2012-13?

Next Xbox

When would you expect this to launch? Because depending on when it launches I start to wonder if this would be worse it. By 2012/13 PC shipping in the "low mid" end market may use for example Intel fusion CPU a node ahead of most likely twice as much ram.

Actually as launch dates for next gen get push back and push back I wonder if there a huge opportunity for PC to reclaiming the gaming market. Thing are getting interesting imho. PC form factor should evolve but as they concentrate so much power they could become the heart of people Home and living room as Microsoft have been dreaming for ages now.

I read that quiet some analysts have high expectations for tablet sales in the upcoming years, I wonder how mobile devices as tablets (smart-phones to a lesser extend) will collide with the PC and console market. I could think of a complete change in the way we perceive computer and their role in our living room and how that would impact the console market.

A client/server relationship is going to emerge between tablets and PC and cloud computing. It's only better now that Intel has some wireless protocol to connect computer and display.
On tablet owner could go home and use his tablet almost as a display off loading heavy calculations and memory hungry application to the PC or the "cloud".

The PC would no longer be the bulky thing next under the desk but the sleek device under/next to the TV. In my view tablets could almost complete replace displays/monitors in the personal realm. It happens that taking in account the cloud resources and the tablet own resources I could easily PC replacing consoles as the heart of our entertainment systems.
It would no longer be about Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo but about Windows7 & windows 7 mobile, Mac OS & iOS, Chrome OS & Androïd and the way the device running those OS interact. (Remember I speak of personal use not enterprise).

I don't know when this is going to happen, not within the next three years, but even if happens latter on I can see the shift having a deep impact on next-generation consoles and their life-span.
This would also impact handled by the way. Mobility market is evolving so fast and I think it will collide with the "fixed" market "soon" not grows parallel to it , what kind of impact do you expect? Are you agreeing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant be bothered to find the link but some folks have been saying that Kinect et al will push consoles luanch to 2015.

Sounds reasonable to me. I expect they will try and push for 2014 at least

Yeah considering the Wii has barely moved in price and is still leading the pack in sales Nintendo doesn't have much incentive and neither does MS or Sony with Move and Kinect coming out so it seems like it will be a longer generation then first predicted.

Hmm, if this "console gen" will be that long maybe there is a chance that at least one console gets a hardware spec refresh just slightly before "next gen" comes around?

PS3 with 1GB ram, (XDR @ 3,6Ghz, GDDR3 @900Mhz), Cell @ 3,6Ghz, 8 SPE units, RSX v1.1 (scaler fixed, GPU beefed by 100-150Mhz)?

Each of the companies wishing to move new hardware needs compelling content/buzz to move the product. While it sounds good in theory to "pull a Wii" Nintendo was able to take old hardware with a cheap controller and leverage existing development tools, hence the risk.

I don't think releasing old hardware is necessarily a "cheaper" risk if it means bleeding marketshare. Nintendo didn't really have anywhere to go but up, and if the Wii bombed there was little invested into it. But unless Sony, MS, or a new competitor has a trump card (uberholodeck,etc) just floating out old hardware gets who to buy it again?

I want buy an upgraded 360 to get 360 v.2.0 games. Makes no sense.

Clock speeds might be adjusted slightly depending on the transistor properties & design issues for further manufacturing processes, but I wouldn't expect anything blatently better, Xpuntar.

When would you expect this to launch?
nApoleon said ATI has begun developing GPU for the next generation Xbox at the end of 2008.So I expect next Xbox to launch in 2012,but maybe MS will wait another year for 22nm node.

By 2012/13 PC shipping in the "low mid" end market may use for example Intel fusion CPU a node ahead of most likely twice as much ram.
Consoles use ram much more efficiently,it won't be a problem.

Sorry for my poor English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back