AMD Execution Thread [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anti-Lag I don't believe is a requirement, just an added facility that amd will use to help latency.
Remember FSR3 will work on non AMD GPUs, will also work on console.
Anti-Lag+ is not a requirement but latency might be an issue if FMF can't communicate with similar features on Nvidia and Intel gpus.

But the big question mark is latency. All frame generating/interpolating technologies create at least a little latency. That's why Nvidia insists that its Frame Generation only works in concert with Reflex, which is a latency-reducing technology.

AMD has its own new Anti-Lag+ feature. But that's exclusive to AMD GPUs. So, for FMF to run well on an Nvidia GPU, you'll need to use Reflex. How well will Nvidia Reflex work with AMD FMF? That very much remains to be seen. It's all pretty complicated.

It's a shared resource.
To avoid uncertainty about 'how does my LDS allocation hinder other tasks', i always did some calculation to see how many resources a single thread can use for full occupancy.
On GCN this was 24 vector registers and maybe 8 vec4 of LDS, iirc. Going from there, it's easy to estimate how much LDS a workgroup of x threads can / should use.

Now it seems not so much has changed about those HW limits. And i wonder why this is rarely discussed, because the impact is huge. Those limits often affect a decision which algorithm to use.
Back then, the limits on NV where pretty similar. Probably it still is, so there is no point to discuss it.

Leak suggests that the 7700XT scores ~17k in 3DMark TimeSpy. Allegedly the 7800XT scores somewhere in the 19k ballpark.
By comparison...;

6700XT scores ~12.5k
4060Ti scores ~13.4k
3070 scores ~13.6k
6800 scores ~15k
6800XT scores ~17.2k
4070 scores ~17.7k
3080 scores ~17.8k
3080 Ti scores ~19k
6900XT scores ~20k

So the 12GB $449 7700XT has a score of around 3.5k points higher (25% faster than 4060 Ti), while costing 13% more than the 8GB 4060 Ti, or costing 10% less than the 4060 Ti 16GB. It really makes the 4060 Ti look more stupid than it already is.

If the 19k is correct for the 7800XT, we're getting 3080 Ti performance at $499, which is good. It would be $100 cheaper than the 4070 but still beating it slightly. Seems a bit too good to be true for this one, although if RDNA3 would have perfect scaling per CU for some reason (11% more CUs for ~11% more performance), the scores would make sense. But scaling is normally not linear.

It seems crazy too, for a 54CU 7700XT to be able to keep up with the 72CUs of the 6800XT, or even the 60CUs for the 6800. Same applies for the 60CUs of the 7800XT keeping up with the 80CUs of the 6900XT. After all, the 7900XT required 96 CUs to beat the 80 CU 6950XT. That's 20% more CUs for 18% more performance. Unless AMD fixed some sort of bug in RDNA3, the scaling portrayed in these leaks is bogus. It would seem weird if the 7800XT is able to even reach the 6800XT at all with 25% less CUs, let alone beat it... AMD may have lied about their performance again just like with the 7900 cards, and these leaks are maybe AMD themselves trying to market their cards.

I personally think, AMD RGT division is missing something like R300 (Radeon 9700 PRO) in recent days, but they openly admit, they don´t have ambition to beat Nvidia and they don´t even try to. With Polaris GPU, which was very good product for a reasonable money they nailed it, but Vega failed miserably ( luckily cryptocurrency mania save them so it wasn´t that big disaster as it appeared to be ) Since then, only RDNA2 was (quite) successful in that matter, but with RDNA3 they failed again and RDNA4 future looks foggy..... I guess they are happy with console deal and that is important to them because it esentially keep gaming gpu division alive and what´s go beyond is just something extra a few thousand of chips sold as gaming GPU so they can still say: "AMD, we love gamers" ;) but in reality the low market share doesn't hurt us that much so we don´t bother.

Some high-end APU strategy above Console performance as a desktop product might be the best long-term strategy.
Sadly, after Renoir AMD started treating their up-to-date-tech APUs as premium products. Cezeanne, Rembrandt, Phoenix have been more and more targeted at the "premium" segment. Zen 5-based Strix should bring a bigger GPU variant SKU, although given the pricing history it is gonna be very costly.

Mod: Denoised

Going back to the 7700XT & 7800XT, seems like my previous TimeSpy scores were based on the wrong resolution. These make more sense:

The 7800XT having the same performance as the 6800XT is quite 'meh'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap is it literally not possible for NV to not pollute every single AMD thread? I came here to maybe see something about the 7700 and 7800 cards, and all I'm seeing is back and forth over NV stuff? Seriously, WTF?

At this point, if this is happening in this subforum, I can't see how the Architecture forum will ever get reopened.

Regards,
SB

Holy crap is it literally not possible for NV to not pollute every single AMD thread? I came here to maybe see something about the 7700 and 7800 cards, and all I'm seeing is back and forth over NV stuff? Seriously, WTF?

At this point, if this is happening in this subforum, I can't see how the Architecture forum will ever get reopened.

Regards,
SB

Ban the offenders problem solved.
It's clear that a few people will not self moderate and bring their fanboyism in every thread.
If nothing is done we might as well close the forum

Last edited:
Damn I guess my age is finally catching up to me and I'll need glasses or contacts. I'm reading the reviews and they all seem to say the 7800XT performs and costs the same as the 6800XT. Gonna make a call to optometrist :(

sZhI5u.jpg

3 years, 3 percent.
seems logical ...

AMD released Anti Lag+ today, works only on RDNA3 GPUs, and supported on a game by game basis. It works similarly to NVIDIA's Reflex (though Reflex is supported on every NVIDIA GPU since Maxwell)

With AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+, applying frame alignment within the game code itself, allowing for a better frame syncing which leads to even lower latency and great gaming experiences.

AMD Radeon Anti-Lag+ Supported Games:​

• Apex Legends
  • Overwatch 2
  • Dying Light 2
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Fortnite
  • Last of Us: Part 1
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Borderlands 3

AMD released Anti Lag+ today, works only on RDNA3 GPUs, and supported on a game by game basis. It works similarly to NVIDIA's Reflex (though Reflex is supported on every NVIDIA GPU since Maxwell)

AMD Radeon Anti-Lag+ Supported Games:​

• Apex Legends
  • Overwatch 2
  • Dying Light 2
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Fortnite
  • Last of Us: Part 1
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Borderlands 3
Do the games have to be patched with AL+ support?

RDNA2 is proving to be really solid. Maybe that's to be expected given the consoles. The 6700XT remains the best value GPU on the market.

AMD are pricing and positioning the GPU based on Nvidia's price and stack shifting. It doesn't make sense from a generation-on-generation perspective, which neither does Nvidia's going into this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back