AMD Execution Thread [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
sZhI5u.jpg

3 years, 3 percent.
seems logical ...
Well, the MSRP is 150$ less than the 6800 XT's. The similarly priced, discounted 6800 XTs probably won't last for much longer and aren't even widespread in all regions.
It's a solid enough card. Great OC potential too, judging by TPU's review, but it seems that AMD will be restricting it with artificial limits.
https://videocardz.com/162361/amd-radeon-rx-7800xt-rx-7700xt-graphics-cards-review-roundup

The independent reviews are here. AMD decided to lift the review embargo on the same day and time as the card become available in stores.

and they released new drivers with AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ and AMD Radeon™ BoostNow supports AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ and AMD HYPR-RX

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1
Curious about how good Anti-Lag+ is.

The 7800XT is the best new GPU on the market for anybody who wants 'next gen' performance at a price that wont keep you up at night after pressing the buy button.

Which isn't saying a lot, really. It's still a very lackluster improvement in performance per dollar given the 6800XT came out in late 2020. But it's ok enough to where I wouldn't hate myself for recommending it to people who need a new GPU with high performance.

The 7800XT is the best new GPU on the market for anybody who wants 'next gen' performance at a price that wont keep you up at night after pressing the buy button.

Which isn't saying a lot, really. It's still a very lackluster improvement in performance per dollar given the 6800XT came out in late 2020. But it's ok enough to where I wouldn't hate myself for recommending it to people who need a new GPU with high performance.

One neat thing that I think a lot of people glossed over is that the 7700XT and to a lesser extent the 7800XT are some of the most undervoltable/overclockable GPUs in recent memory.

You don't see an overclocked lower-tier SKU actually leapfrogging over the SKU above it too often these days - ~17% performance increase with UV+OC is pretty great; surprised AMD left that much performance on the table.

One neat thing that I think a lot of people glossed over is that the 7700XT and to a lesser extent the 7800XT are some of the most undervoltable/overclockable GPUs in recent memory.

You don't see an overclocked lower-tier SKU actually leapfrogging over the SKU above it too often these days - ~17% performance increase with UV+OC is pretty great; surprised AMD left that much performance on the table.

If true, that's actually very impressive. Well, more shocking I guess, given they wouldn't push this hard as stock as most all GPU's(and CPU's) do nowadays.

Would've been a lot better if this wasn't busted, but alas.
That's something that will never be able to be cleaned off any RDNA3 product review.

Yea, AMD can price it competitive to where it's at least somewhat appealing, but jesus, if you start to compare their products based on space or size or performance efficiency, every RDNA3 product is kinda woeful. I guess most people understand what RDNA3 is by now so it's gonna get less attention.

Two other things I found a bit strange - given that the 7800XT and 7700XT use the same Navi32 silicon, you'd figure the 7800XT would get the better bins.

I realize TPU's only working from a sample set of 8 cards, but there's a pretty clear trend where the 7700XTs both are stable at a much lower minimum voltage, as well as simultaneously hitting considerably higher clocks versus the 7800XT.

The clocks make sense when you look at the power consumption of both cards, comparing apples to apples since we don't have a 7700XT reference card in the mix, the Asus TUF 7700XT looks to have a ~240w power limit from TPU's review data, and the 7800XT ~275W. Considering the 7800XT has to have an extra MCD and the associated GDDR6 powered up, as well as the link back to the main GCD, the 7800XT is looking significantly more power constrained than the 7800XT, so the lower clocks make sense.

I just don't understand why all 3 7700XT samples are stable at a much lower voltage than all 5 of the 7800XT ones. Odd.

Attachments

• 1694024361155.png
    1694024361155.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 9
Actual price is far more relevant than launch MSRP.

Those 6800XT street prices are on borrowed time though, and the fire sale that many US retailers had didn't always extend outside its borders. The cheapest 6800XT here is $750 on Newegg, while the 7800XT can be had for $675CAD.

Pretty much in agreement with HBU's review - well, at least their conclusion. It's...decent. Uninspiring and kind of a crappy upgrade after 3 years, but in the shitty value for this gen of cards, probably AMD's most competitive offering yet.

Is it? I think it's time to upgrade my Vega LC (at least for 2 years) , and high end seems too expensive to me this generation. So my question is genuine

It's either the 7800XT or 4070 for me I guess. Since I also would want to upgrade to a 4k monitor, feels like DLSS would make the 4070 sweeter

Is it? I think it's time to upgrade my Vega LC (at least for 2 years) , and high end seems too expensive to me this generation. So my question is genuine

It's either the 7800XT or 4070 for me I guess. Since I also would want to upgrade to a 4k monitor, feels like DLSS would make the 4070 sweeter
Certainly with a 4k monitor, DLSS can be more useful. It's not just better at 1440p, but can also be useful at 1080p in a pinch, whereas FSR2 starts to degrade the further down you go.

Is that worth $100 even with slightly inferior raster performance? I can see it. But I hate that we're talking about $500 vs $600 to begin with. $500 is already the very top end of what I consider 'normal people pricing'. $600 is getting into what I feel should be high end territory. And a 4070 is just not that. It's a cut down AD104 die part, all when AD104 is probably more equivalent to an x106 part in past generations. If it's successful, it will be the utter destruction of the GPU market for everybody, forever. No hyperbole. And it's genuinely the worst time to see this as we face a significant rise in GPU requirements due to 'true' next games becoming the norm finally.

And it's genuinely the worst time to see this as we face a significant rise in GPU requirements due to 'true' next games becoming the norm finally.
That's the crux. The 'true' next games have started come into the limelight a bit more. I think features like FSR 3, DLSS, AMD fluid motion, Nvidia ray reconstruction, etc. will have to 'prove their existence' as they likely will determine whether or not the extra $100 dollars is worth the purchase.

I'm going to give a different perspective on this (especially as I dislike the typical direct IHV product comparisons, I actually don't find them all that useful but that's long conversation for elsewhere).

The RTX 4070's been out for 5 months now. It's had a better bundle in the past (probably for most people, with Diablo 4 vs Overwatch Premium content) and has had spot sales as well. If the package wasn't of interest in the last 5 months then it's not any better now (if not worse). If you want a 4070 at this point I think you either wait for the any possible Nvidia reaction if not just new game bundle at very least, if not the Black Friday sales season adjustments.

In terms of the 7800XT it offers something new over the outgoing 6800XT/RDNA2 (dependent on localized street pricing) with some potentially interesting new features and longer support. So at least it changes the landscape somewhat for buyers interested in that package. But similar to the above if those new features aren't exciting well the 7800XT doesn't change things either.

Which I feel is the core negative sentiment surrounding the discourse of these new launches these days. In the past you'd have huge buyers remorse if you say bought a new GPU even a few months before the new launches and weren't aware of them due to the market disruption they offered. Waiting even 6 months + for the next release was seen as an easy cost benefit choice for those in the loop. Not so much these days.

Last edited:
if you start to compare their products based on space or size or performance efficiency, every RDNA3 product is kinda woeful
Surprisingly enough, they're still OK.
Just instead of "class-leading PPA, meh RTRT perf" you get "meh PPA, sub-meh RTRT perf".

I'm going to give a different perspective on this (especially as I dislike the typical direct IHV product comparisons, I actually don't find them all that useful but that's long conversation for elsewhere).

The RTX 4070's been out for 5 months now. It's had a better bundle in the past (probably for most people, with Diablo 4 vs Overwatch Premium content) and has had spot sales as well. If the package wasn't of interest in the last 5 months then it's not any better now (if not worse). If you want a 4070 at this point I think you either wait for the any possible Nvidia reaction if not just new game bundle at very least, if not the Black Friday sales season adjustments.

In terms of the 7800XT it offers something new over the outgoing 6800XT/RDNA2 (dependent on localized street pricing) with some potentially interesting new features and longer support. So at least it changes the landscape somewhat for buyers interested in that package. But similar to the above if those new features aren't exciting well the 7800XT doesn't change things either.

Which I feel is the core negative sentiment surrounding the discourse of these new launches these days. In the past you'd have huge buyers remorse if you say bought a new GPU even a few months before the new launches and weren't aware of them due to the market disruption they offered. Waiting even 6 months + for the next release was seen as an easy cost benefit choice for those in the loop. Not so much these days.
I was having some fomo with the 4080 launch but the 3080 has played everything I've thrown at it so far this year really well. Now I'm contemplating waiting until at least the 50 series because I don't see anything next year that will really make me upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back