AMD Execution Thread [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing wrong with the 7800XT in today's market is its name. Other than that, it hits all the necessary boxes to be a great product. There's a reason it basically sold out everywhere.

I think a whole lot of it had to do with prices. Why get a 7700xt when you can get a 7800xt for $50us more?

How well is the 7700xt doing? I bet it don't sell out by a long shot.

Yeah there is no way it moves units at $450. When it starts to get to $400, then it becomes far more interesting.*

A small, but nice change vs. the past three years is we can guess on price drops, and there's the possibility they might...actually happen now. :)

*On Newegg.ca, of the 12 models of 7800xt available, every one is sold out except for one model that is an obvious price gouge. The 7700xt situation is reversed, every model available except one.

Last edited:
The only thing wrong with the 7800XT in today's market is its name. Other than that, it hits all the necessary boxes to be a great product. There's a reason it basically sold out everywhere.

It shouldn't be a cent over 400$. At 350$ it becomes "great."

Why restrict yourself to $400? "It shouldn't be a cent", period. :ROFLMAO:
That's just what I would consider this worthwhile at. 400$ makes it worthwhile to consider for a purchase and at 350$ it's a great buy. Lack of a quality upscaler is now a huge value loss that needs to be reflected in the price.

The chairman of TSMC admitted that the ongoing short supply of compute GPUs for artificial intelligence (AI) and high-performance computing (HPC) applications is caused by constraints of its chip-on-wafer-on-substrate (CoWoS) packaging capacity. This shortage is expected to persist for around 18 months due to rising demand for generative AI applicationsand relatively slow expansion of CoWoS capacity at TSMC.

This may explain why AMD ditched high end RDNA4, there is not enough packaging capacity for such things.

The chairman of TSMC admitted that the ongoing short supply of compute GPUs for artificial intelligence (AI) and high-performance computing (HPC) applications is caused by constraints of its chip-on-wafer-on-substrate (CoWoS) packaging capacity. This shortage is expected to persist for around 18 months due to rising demand for generative AI applicationsand relatively slow expansion of CoWoS capacity at TSMC.

This may explain why AMD ditched high end RDNA4, there is not enough packaging capacity for such things.

welp guess I wont be buying a video card for 18 months.

welp guess I wont be buying a video card for 18 months.
With a 3080 you can say that pretty comfortably. I got a 580 that plays starfield at 1080 like slideshow potato quality. I've been hunting for something better for cheap pretty hard. I was at the wait 18 more months stage over two years ago, I'm either gonna need a small miracle or really compromise on what I want. Not a good time to need a new GPU, not at all. :(

Saw a 1080 founders edition on Facebook marketplace for $100us and it's only 22 minutes away, and I'm ashamed to say I was tempted. 😳

Sadly the only GPU that you can buy without feeling like you're getting completely fleeced is a 4090.
A $1600 consumer GPU is basically always fleecing you, though. It only seems like a better deal than it really is because Nvidia aren't offering a more cut down version of AD102 at a more reasonable price point, but with close enough performance, like they usually do(780, 980Ti, 1080Ti, 3080, etc). And we wont get such a product either, since they've priced the 4080 at $1200, leaving no room for any such card. It's all just manipulation to make the 4090 seem like a good deal.

Seriously, I'd say the 7800XT is probably the first new gen GPU that I wouldn't hate recommending to somebody. And I'll say the same for the 7700XT when it inevitably drops down to $400 or so. Still not thrilled with them by any means, but they're ok. It's the first sign of either AMD or Nvidia actually having a bit of sanity.

And I am not here to suggest AMD are somehow the 'good guys' because of this. I have no doubt that if RDNA3 performed like AMD expected it to, these would be higher priced because they'd think they could get away with it.

With a 3080 you can say that pretty comfortably. I got a 580 that plays starfield at 1080 like slideshow potato quality. I've been hunting for something better for cheap pretty hard. I was at the wait 18 more months stage over two years ago, I'm either gonna need a small miracle or really compromise on what I want. Not a good time to need a new GPU, not at all. :(

Saw a 1080 founders edition on Facebook marketplace for $100us and it's only 22 minutes away, and I'm ashamed to say I was tempted. 😳
I went vega 56 to 3080. I think ram will hold me back without dlss/fsr and I don't really care for either option.

CoWoS is used by the AI chips due to them using HBM.

It's not being used on consumer GPUs. I wouldn't think currently there is any production shortage for consumer GPUs. If there is an "shortage" it's almost certainly just supply management to preserve margins.
Yeah, consumer GPUs with GDDR are not affected at all.

I do wonder how N31 GPUs are packaged though, they don't appear to be using CoWoS, high end RDNA4 might require CoWoS though, which would explain AMD's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back