Nvidia shows signs in [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Honda arbitrarily doubles the price of a Civic in 2024, is it now a higher class of car?
The first Civic was sold in US for $2000.
Current Civic US price is $24000.
It also went from a subcompact into compact class in the 80s.
But to answer your question - yes, it would be. Whether it would be able to compete with other cars in the same range is a question which would determine if it would stay there or had to drop down to the previous price.

If Honda arbitrarily doubles the price of a Civic in 2024, is it now a higher class of car?
But this kinda framing isn't at all useful.

It simply won't happen, because of how the market is.

"Midrange" itself asumes a typical market for the product. If you blast through how a market functions with this impossible scenario, then "midrange" in this hypothetical world is different from "midrange" in our world.

But this kinda framing isn't at all useful.

It simply won't happen, because of how the market is.

"Midrange" itself asumes a typical market for the product. If you blast through how a market functions with this impossible scenario, then "midrange" in this hypothetical world is different from "midrange" in our world.
I guess the way I look at things, it would just be a massively overpriced, low end car. Nvidia has doubled the price of many of their GPU tiers compared to prior generations so I consider the two scenarios quite similar.

Last edited:
So to buy now something with a similar performance to an older decent midrange $300 GPU (like say RX590 with its $280 MSRP) I have to pay $500+? Which GPU do you have in mind I wonder?
Ah well maybe you're new to PC gaming and hardware and all that, but when we get a new generation, the performance leaps up at every given price point. What you get for $300 in a new generation should perform well beyond what a $300 product gave you two years ago. That's pretty much the main reason to care about new generations of hardware in the first place, unless you're one of the rare few who only buys the top end stuff.

Seriously though, I think it's pretty fair to say you're not stupid and know exactly what I was saying, so please dont play dumb. Just makes you look dishonest and wastes both of our time.

Last edited:
What's missing from this debate is a common understanding of "same kind of product". There are a few different ways you can define it.

Some examples
  • Lets you play newish games at 1080p / 60 / medium settings
  • Only takes up 2 PCIe slots
  • Requires only one power connector
  • Costs < $300
  • Product name ends in "60"
  • Chip name ends in "06"
  • Is in the middle of the SKU lineup
Everybody seems to be using a different definition of "midrange" which is why the conversation is just going in circles.

For the record my definition is the first one. A midrange card plays games at midrange settings. Feel free to argue about the definition of midrange settings :ROFLMAO:
1080p/60fps was the midrange target back in 2016, seven years ago. Midrange products now should be able to do better than that, even accounting for higher core demands in games. The fact that you dont think so is just helping normalize the idea of 'paying more for less than we used to get'. And dont get me wrong, I'm not expecting to get like a 4070 at like $250-300 or anything, I realize there are cost factors that mean we cant get the same prices as before, but what Nvidia is doing is beyond ridiculous and there's no honest way to defend it.

As for how I'd define midrange, I'm talking from a more core perspective of what the actual processor is. I would think on a more technically-minded forum like this, this aspect should be pretty well understood. A sub 300mm² GPU with a 192-bit bus is a standard midrange part. Especially when the same series has a 600mm²+ die on the high end. And not only is the 4070 just a regular midrange die, it's a cut down version of it. For $600. Even the nearly full enabled 3060 midrange Ampere part was $330. So yea, I could understand a raise to like $400 or something. Even $450 if Nvidia really wanted to scrape some extra margins.

Nvidia is simply trying to see what they can get away with, like I said. They are hoping y'all will just wear down and accept it so they can normalize these new 'market segments' where $500-600+ is now what people will pay for a midrange part.

The first Civic was sold in US for $2000.
Current Civic US price is $24000.
It also went from a subcompact into compact class in the 80s.
But to answer your question - yes, it would be. Whether it would be able to compete with other cars in the same range is a question which would determine if it would stay there or had to drop down to the previous price.
The first Civics were compact economy cars that were extraordinarily reliable, current Civics aren't in the same league. Or is that your point, but if so I don't see how it relates to graphic cards.

I guess the way I look at things, it would just be a massively overpriced, low end car.
Because you would have options which would be better at it's price, not because it is "low-end".
It is the same for all markets - the price is what puts a product into a segment. If there are no better products there then this price is justified.

Nvidia has doubled the price of many of their GPU tiers compared to prior generations so I consider the two scenarios quite similar.
There are no "GPU tiers".
Your own Civic example shows that even with cars there are no "tiers" tied to marketing names since Civic has switched between them once already. Same is true with GPUs or anything else. Stop looking at made up product names as if they mean anything.

Ah well maybe you're new to PC gaming and hardware and all that, but when we get a new generation, the performance leaps up at every given price point.
Is it how things always are? Or is it your own expectation from new generations of PC h/w which are based on different production realities where new processes would bring "free" transistors with them which isn't a thing anymore?

Is this new GH200 seen as a single GPU by OS ?
What else could it be seen as? It's a single monolithic GPU, same as every Hopper, now with HBM3e instead of HBM3 memories. The other chip is CPU called Grace and it's the same (including memory) as the earlier superchips.

Is it how things always are? Or is it your own expectation from new generations of PC h/w which are based on different production realities where new processes would bring "free" transistors with them which isn't a thing anymore?
It is how things always have been, and always should be. Otherwise, there is very little point in caring about new generations if you're not actually getting a significant improvement for the same amount of money.

It'd be one thing if there were factors genuinely limiting the ability for this kind of improvement to be offered. But there's not(at least not yet). Nvidia went well beyond just increasing prices some to address added costs on their part and went straight to, "Let's just gouge the hell out of everybody through some transparent naming exploitation, and everybody will buy it cuz they're stupid and we're Nvidia. What are they gonna do, buy AMD instead? Even if less people buy our GPU's, our huge margin increases will make up for it".

It is how things always have been, and always should be.
Should they? Do you get significant improvements between every generation of everything? Like between the generations of Civic mentioned above for example? Or is it just your expectations based on how things were with GPUs previously again? Do you get such improvements in any other PC component these days?

Should they? Do you get significant improvements between every generation of everything? Like between the generations of Civic mentioned above for example? Or is it just your expectations based on how things were with GPUs previously again? Do you get such improvements in any other PC component these days?
Yes, it should, unless you've already bought a 40 series card and want to somehow try and justify how advocating for consumers being treated better is a bad thing.

Other PC parts aren't relevant, cuz GPU's have always improved in the scale they have due to being more scalable than other parts, and in ways that matter much to the graphics/gaming crowd. They're highly parallelized, so adding more and more cores is basically always useful, and process improvements lead to efficiency improvements that make higher performance ceilings at a given power draw possible, and memory bandwidth improvements directly help feed these ever increasing core counts.

Again, I know you're not dumb. I actually think you're quite intelligent, and thus actually know all this stuff perfectly well. Nothing I'm saying is news to you. But you're pushing your arguments anyways for dishonest reasons.

Yes, it should, unless you've already bought a 40 series card and want to somehow try and justify how advocating for consumers being treated better is a bad thing.
Consumers are treated in the same way always and everywhere. If you don't like the product you buy another one which is better in your opinion. No one has to do anything else, and that's also true for manufacturers of said products.

So we're again back to the point that you can't judge a product against your expectations and should judge it against what's available on the market as competing options. If there's nothing better then the product is fine.

Consumers are treated in the same way always and everywhere. If you don't like the product you buy another one which is better in your opinion. No one has to do anything else, and that's also true for manufacturers of said products.

So we're again back to the point that you can't judge a product against your expectations and should judge it against what's available on the market as competing options. If there's nothing better then the product is fine.
Consumers determine how they are treated in the end. And protesting against and not buying a certain product or product line cuz a company is acting like a greedy dirtbag is a 100% valid way to approach things. A necessary one, in my opinion. But you seem to disagree, since well, you bought a 40 series card, didn't you? And I'm sure that has no bearing on your arguments at all here, I'm sure...

"You cant judge a product against your expectations" is probably the most ridiculous and anti-consumer viewpoint I can imagine. You might as well just say, "Whatever a corporation says goes, and we should never complain about it".

Freaking embarrassing. You'd be the type to cross a picket line without thought, wouldn't you?

Because you would have options which would be better at it's price, not because it is "low-end".
It is the same for all markets - the price is what puts a product into a segment. If there are no better products there then this price is justified.

There are no "GPU tiers".
Your own Civic example shows that even with cars there are no "tiers" tied to marketing names since Civic has switched between them once already. Same is true with GPUs or anything else. Stop looking at made up product names as if they mean anything.
Nvidias internal product names, while made up, certainly do mean something.

xx50 - Low End
xx60-70 - Mid-Range
xx80 - High End
xx90 - Enthusiast

4070's on amazon are already $600-700... The fact that some of you seem to think ~$1000 in the near future for a mid-range GPU is impossible.. really astonishes me. It will happen.

And I will say "I told ya so" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back