The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

Is this article trying to say 9900k is some kind of low end CPU ?
maybe i remember wrong but it easily equal and even can beat my 5600x in games....
this seems a really strange baseline to make a generalization.

Man the 5800X3D didn’t stay on top for very long. Even the 7600X and 13600K are doing the same or better without the fancy cache.

Man the 5800X3D didn’t stay on top for very long. Even the 7600X and 13600K are doing the same or better without the fancy cache.

Still not bad considering it's a drop in replacement for a 1xxx, 2xxx or 3xxx series Ryzen CPU as long as you have a good MB that receives BIOS updates to support it. Thus making a very cheap and performant upgrade compared to a 7600x (new MB and DDR5 RAM). IE - basically 50 USD more than a 7600x but if you have an existing MB that has a BIOS update that supports the 5800x3D then you don't have to spend hundreds for a new MB and RAM.

Regards,
SB

CPUs can at times be more than just the hardware. In this case I have a friend who works at RAD, and he explains that his main job is to assist with decompression and compression at the CPU level. To make things run faster they often provide feedback to the IHVs about instruction sets that would reduce the number of instructions required.

So a game like TLOU that does CPU decompression using RAD tools is likely to give a bigger advantage to CPUs they have integrated the said instructions for faster processing.

Still not bad considering it's a drop in replacement for a 1xxx, 2xxx or 3xxx series Ryzen CPU as long as you have a good MB that receives BIOS updates to support it. Thus making a very cheap and performant upgrade compared to a 7600x (new MB and DDR5 RAM). IE - basically 50 USD more than a 7600x but if you have an existing MB that has a BIOS update that supports the 5800x3D then you don't have to spend hundreds for a new MB and RAM.

Regards,
SB

Yeah I’m not upgrading from this 5800X3D anytime soon. Just a little surprised that the huge cache advantage was nullified in just one generation.

Was it ever really on top? This CPU is kind of weird because the 3D V-Cache can be tremendously useful in some cases (FS2020, Factorio), while also being virtually useless in other cases (most of them).

Was it ever really on top? This CPU is kind of weird because the 3D V-Cache can be tremendously useful in some cases (FS2020, Factorio), while also being virtually useless in other cases (most of them).

Maybe I’m remembering wrong but I thought the 5800X3D went toe to toe with the 12900K in games.

Yes it was...

Averaged across a slew of games and resolutions it was basically a match for the 12900 (and KS variant), but cheaper and absolutely massively less power hungry for gaming.

Obviously some games did better on the 5800x3D while others did better on the 12900.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yes it was...

Averaged across a slew of games and resolutions it was basically a match for the 12900 (and KS variant), but cheaper and absolutely massively less power hungry for gaming.

Obviously some games did better on the 5800x3D while others did better on the 12900.

Regards,
SB
I like this example to compare power consuption for 7800x3d :

I like this example to compare power consuption for 7800x3d :

I'm actually kind of amazed it uses even less power than the 5800x3D when gaming.

And yeah, more people should think about the cost of running their CPU over the span of how long they'll be using it. The x3D chips end up being absolutely massively cheaper than the Intel equivalents if you do that. Depending on how much you use your PC, the savings from running an x3D chip versus a comparable Intel chip would be enough to buy 1 or more brand new high end GPUs.

Regards,
SB

The truly great thing about TLOU's visual is that everything is perfect. You have games that have outstanding texture work and geometric detail on environments, but the characters and particles look far worse than that. You also have games that are the exact opposite of that.

TLOU has fantastic character animation, far better particle quality than any game I've played, wonderfully constructed environments with a shitton of geometry, super high fidelity textures etc. That makes it truly next gen in my eyes.

The truly great thing about TLOU's visual is that everything is perfect. You have games that have outstanding texture work and geometric detail on environments, but the characters and particles look far worse than that. You also have games that are the exact opposite of that.

TLOU has fantastic character animation, far better particle quality than any game I've played, wonderfully constructed environments with a shitton of geometry, super high fidelity textures etc. That makes it truly next gen in my eyes.

I'd say ND games, in terms of production value have always been extremelly well balanced everything being impressivelly near the ceiling of visual quality for the time they release on. But never perfect in every aspect. They allways have flaws. But they are always ahead of the competition when you consider the total sum of "quallity" points across everything: geometry detail, texture res, materials, lighting, animation, physics, particles, special effects, audio, environment composition, art direction, variety, loading times, polish, performance stability, IQ, post processing...

A new huge patch just dropped.
Downloading now to test. Patch notes show some good bug fixes. Interested to see how the new texture streaming helps reduce CPU utilization.. or if it actually does.

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update addresses fixes for performance, user experience, visuals, and more. It also includes platform and hardware-specific fixes.

• Fixed a crash that may occur while quickly swapping between character skin thumbnails
  • Fixed a crash that may occur on version 1.0.1.6 during shader loads when booting the game for the first time
  • Fixed one known crash that would happen randomly during gameplay
  • Updated texture streaming to reduce CPU usage
  • Fixed an issue where DualSense and Xbox One controllers’ analog sticks failed to respond
  • Fixed an issue where extraneous SFX played in both main and in-game “Options” menus
  • Fixed an issue where the Depth of Field setting’s (Options > Graphics > Post-Effects Settings > Depth of Field) sharpness may change based on the Render Scale’s settings (Options > Display > Resolution Scaling > Render Scale)
  • Updated Graphics settings (Options > Graphics) user interface to accurately display VRAM usage
  • Fixed an issue where Environments Texture Quality setting (Options > Graphics > Texture Settings > Environments Texture Quality) did not display the correct VRAM usage
  • Fixed an issue where the pop-up to enable diagnostics after a crash did not appear
  • Fixed an issue where certain artifacts and weapon skins textures may not properly render
  • Fixed an issue with the tutorial’s user interface not displaying correctly
  • Fixed an issue where mouse wheel scrolling in menus with dropdown options may accelerate faster than intended
  • Increased active loading to reduce load times on gameplay progression
  • Fixed an issue where camera orientation may warp to cursor position after exiting the Pause menu
  • [Photo Mode] Fixed an issue where camera will not rotate in while in the Lighting tab
  • [The Quarantine Zone] Fixed an issue where the player and buddy characters may suddenly appear wet during gameplay
  • [The Quarantine Zone, Left Behind] Fixed an issue where lighting and texture may flicker during gameplay
  • [The Outskirts] Fixed a gap in geometry visible during gameplay
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where animations may fail to load during gameplay
  • [The Suburbs] Restored the window-breaking and car-shaking FX in the sniper in-game cinematic
  • [Tommy’s Dam] Fixed an issue where horse animations would fail to load during an in-game cinematic
  • [Bus Depot] Fixed an issue where water FX may appear choppy during gameplay
  • [The Firefly Lab] Fixed a LOD issue where enemy NPCs’ helmets may vanish or appear corrupted

Left Behind Standalone

• Fixed an issue where watergun shots would appear to hit Riley but not register while using Slow Motion with V-Sync off
  • Fixed a crash that may occur while following Riley in the mall
  • Improved level of detail in the Halloween store
  • Fixed a crash that may occur when triggering the optional conversation at the Affordable Getaways poster
  • Fixed an issue where textures of narrative elements appeared low-quality in a cutscene
  • Updated ESDF control scheme in the arcade minigame to use ‘G’ as the alt key to better match gameplay punching input

Accessibility

• Fixed an issue where the Screen Magnifier may fail to work
  • Fixed an issue where Navigation Assistance’s directional icon may clip through the player character model

Localization

• [ENGLISH, HUNGARIAN] Adjusted language used when referring to the DualSense controller’s adaptive triggers and touch pad
  • [THAI, LATAM SPANISH, KOREAN] Corrected translations in menus
  • [SWEDISH] Added missing text-to-speech in menus
  • [SWEDISH] Corrected language on crash window

AMD

• Fixed an issue where incorrect defaults for graphics settings were applied to AMD RX 5700 and RX 6600 Series GPUs

Steam Deck

• Fixed an issue where PSO Caching may freeze at 50% completion
  • Fixed an issue where plugging in a DualSense controller while viewing cutscenes from the Cinematics menu may force a player into gameplay
  • Adjusted the user interface to show Steam Deck controls in the Screen Magnifier menu
  • Adjusted positioning of the Weapon and Health HUD elements

Epic Games Store Version

• Fixed an issue where the “Who’s a Good Boy?” achievement did not unlock despite the player meeting the requirements
  • Fixed an issue where the sky may render black
We at Naughty Dog and our partners at Iron Galaxy are closely watching player reports to support future improvements and patches. We are actively optimizing, working on game stability, and implementing additional fixes which will all be included in regularly released future updates.

For other issues we are currently tracking or investigating, please refer to our Known Issues. If you encounter any of these problems, please contact support to help us gather more data and insights.

Game is much more RAM friendly now on my end after the patch, I never saw it exceed 14GB, and it frequently dropped to 8 and 9GB in less busy levels.

I also can now easily max the game on my 2080Ti at 4K DLSS Quality, without needing more than 10GB of VRAM at this resolution (1440p upscaled to 4K).

Back