The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

So then why make the assumption that PS5 is using high if there is no official confirmation of this and no one can make out any difference between the two presets? We are better off saying PS5 and the 4090 were running very similar settings in the DF analysis. Avoids muddying up an already muddy situation even further.
Because that would speak very poorly to Naughty Dogs reputation if they were needlessly using Ultra settings in the PS5 version with very little to no visual returns..

Who exactly is saying they aren't using very similar settings? There's some settings which are quite clearly higher on PC with Ultra... and some which aren't.. regardless, overall the game on PS5 still looks very similar to the PC version maxed out.. so naturally one assumes that Naughty Dog is using the optimal settings for the best performance/visual quality regarding the PS5.

Because that would speak very poorly to Naughty Dogs reputation if they were needlessly using Ultra settings in the PS5 version with very little to no visual returns..

I don't follow you here. Why would that look bad on naughty dog? The PS5 is comfortable at 1440p 75-90fps in those settings which are comparable to ultra.

Who exactly is saying they aren't using very similar settings? There's some settings which are quite clearly higher on PC with Ultra... and some which aren't.. regardless, overall the game on PS5 still looks very similar to the PC version maxed out.. so naturally one assumes that Naughty Dog is using the optimal settings for the best performance/visual quality regarding the PS5.

Which ones? I'm certain Alex would have pointed them out.

So then why make the assumption that PS5 is using high if there is no official confirmation of this and no one can make out any difference between the two presets? We are better off saying PS5 and the 4090 were running very similar settings in the DF analysis. Avoids muddying up an already muddy situation even further.

Because there is a few difference between ultra and high like with shadows for example.

They're not using anything for OS+App. It is a fake, irrevelant, just visual thing they put up there. Game will happily use upwards of 7.2 GB VRAM on my end if I set my settings to 7.2 GB game application usage. Problem is already solved on that front.

There's no reservation. There are no rules to it. Game uses all free VRAM. No need to strand 8 GB cards to 6.4 GB. I'll repost what I've written in DF article thread. But I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of walls, no one taking me seriously, just want to pile on the problem when it is not even a problem.

"

It doesn't actually do that, game will happilly use whatever free VRAM you have. Stutters they see happen even within the boundaries of threshold so they were just seeing regular asset streaming stutters that will happen regardless on limited budgets if you're close to card's limits regardless. Their video have hitches here and there even with textures set to medium and within the threshold...

Native 1440p
Game application VRAM meter: 7671 MB
Total: 9277 MB
In-game usage: 7400-7500 MB

Played for 12 hrs with game application VRAM at 7600 MB. Only crashed 3 times. The stutters you see in the video does happen even more infrequently if I do not record (due to recording, VRAM usage dropped a bit ) And I'd say that's fair considering how unstable the game is in general. They're not really immersion breaking or severe as shown in the analysis video. And a frame cap really gets rid of them most of the time. The PS5 running %30 faster than equivalent hardware is in effect here, making the 3070 barely get 55-60 FPS at native 1440p. Not much I can do about that. It sucks. What I question here is that stutters happen even if you're within the boundaries. But crashes are so rare I could see them happening regardless (as they crashed too)

1440p DLSS Q
Game application VRAM meter 7233 MB
Total: 8839 MB
In game usage: 7332 MB

Aside from rare stutters that happen in transition scenes, stutters only happen when you open the doors to a new scene which also happens on their video, or in their video, game produced a huge stutter when the car explosion happened. Even that does not happen on my end (neither at 1440p or 1440p DLSSQ). I specifically get a repetable stutter when I move past the first soldier group and when the jeep arrives. And they're really microstutters. In their video, total VRAM usage is around 7-7.1 GB and dedicated game VRAM usage is around 6.2-6.4 GB (since they set the game to medium textures to fit within the 8 GB boundaries based on game's claims of 1.6 GB OS usage) Most stutters I experience they also experience with 6.4 GB usage. So I don't even think stutters I get has anything to do with threshhold.

These transitional stutters are preferrable to N64 textures. I'd like see them give us a better texture quality option, still.

"

I'm pretty sure some people here will try to nitpick rare hitches here and there to show "ha, you went above threshold and u get them!!" But no! Even if you strand yourself to 6.4 GB, these hitches still exist! They do not go anywhere. DF video is there. Even with 6.4 GB VRAM usage, game hitches a lot on their end. As a a matter of fact, game hitches less frequently and less severe on my end DESPITE pushing the game to higher VRAM usage. That tells something.

Thanks for the explanation.

Because there is a few difference between ultra and high like with shadows for example.

But Alex specifically commented that shadows looked better on PS5 than on the 4090 with ultra settings. And viewers are able to see this is true. Did you watch the analysis?

But Alex specifically commented that shadows looked better on PS5 than on the 4090 with ultra settings. And viewers are able to see this is true. Did you watch the analysis?

I watched the full analysis. Some shadows looks different for example one is softer on PC and it means this is not ultra on PS5.

designed for PS3, ported to PS4, ported with some redesign used in TLOU2 to and add some PS5 features in the mix, then ported to PC by another dev.
What could go wrong.

To be fair, the port from PS3 to PS4 took a lot of work, ND talked about how it was a heculean task to get it running at 60fps on the PS4. Quite a bit of it was re-architected, so I don't really think we have to include it's PS3 origins as much of a factor here.

I watched the full analysis. Some shadows looks different for example one is softer on PC and it means this is not ultra on PS5.

There several instances of pretty egregious shadow banding, and as Alex mentioned it's quite commonplace - they didn't show them all. I saw them often, albeit part of it could also be their poor DLSS implementation. But as it stands now, on the whole, PS5 has better shadows.

It doesn't necessarily mean the PS5 is necessarily using a higher-precision, more costly setting mind you, like many aspects of this port the 'Ultra' setting could be bugged, who knows. Just that visually, the PS5 shadows seem to be more consistent atm.

Hold on so you are saying just because an ultra preset was chosen, and the 4090 rendered softer shadows under the preset that looked different from PS5, you conclude that PS5 isn't running ultra. When in actuality, it was the PS5 with contact hardening shadows that was rendering higher quality. You obviously watched the video on mute if you even watched at all, because Alex spoke on all of this. And even if there was no video, that is an awful logic to apply.

To be fair, the port from PS3 to PS4 took a lot of work, ND talked about how it was a heculean task to get it running at 60fps on the PS4. Quite a bit of it was re-architected, so I don't really think we have to include it's PS3 origins as much of a factor here.

There several instances of pretty egregious shadow banding, and as Alex mentioned it's quite commonplace - they didn't show them all. I saw them often, albeit part of it could also be their poor DLSS implementation. But as it stands now, on the whole, PS5 has better shadows.

It doesn't necessarily mean the PS5 is necessarily using a higher-precision, more costly setting mind you, like many aspects of this port the 'Ultra' setting could be bugged, who knows. Just that visually, the PS5 shadows seem to be more consistent atm.

This is a bug or a problem with DLSS it doesn't mean PS5 use ultra settings.

Hold on so you are saying just because an ultra preset was chosen, and the 4090 rendered softer shadows under the preset that looked different from PS5, you conclude that PS5 isn't running ultra. When in actuality, it was the PS5 with contact hardening shadows that was rendering higher quality. You obviously watched the video on mute if you even watched at all, because Alex spoke on all of this. And even if there was no video, that is an awful logic to apply.

Or ultra settings is bugged, the sure things it is different than PS5. PS5 doesn't use PC ultra settings. The port is not great maybe in the future we will see what ultra really means. For reconstruction bug maybe how ND is doing the rendering is not very friendly with it. Naughty Dog doesn't use reconstruction on consoles too.

This is a bug or a problem with DLSS it doesn't mean PS5 use ultra settings.

That's partly why I don't think it makes much sense to try and narrow down the exact equivalent settings between the PC and PS5 now when the game has so many other visual bugs (such as the texture depth problem even on the 4090). After all, this is why this video is in this far more casual format at this point, the port is in flux and there's little reason to waste time drilling down into exact details when so much isn't working properly. I mean we're missing emitting lights entirely in some scenes.

Yeah, based on all past history of ports and the fact Ultra is virtually indistinguishable from High on the PC but has a noticeable performance hit, I'd say it's highly unlikely the PS5 is using Ultra, but otoh only the end results count. As of now, it's shadow quality seems to be superior for whatever reason, or at least when it falters, it not as egregious as some of the scenes on PC. We'll see after a few more patches.

I'm not sure why you're saying this, based on DF video the PS5 is running ultra settings in most settings, even going beyond PC ultra with shadow quality. At 1440p, the PS5 is well into the 80fps range, handily outpacing every gpu you listed, including 3080 and 6800.

The EnAnallistaDeBits video shows various instances of the PC going beyond the PS5 settings:

"- The PC version includes visual improvements over PS5, but also drags quite a few issues.
- Random crashes and frame-pacing regardless of settings (still occurring on an RTX 4080 on Low) is the main problem. The next patch should address this as a priority.
- Some animations do not display correctly on PC. For example, the animation of Ellie climbing stairs is missing.
- PC features a slight improvement in texture resolution, but some textures show clipping that does not occur in the PS5 version. PC also adds more geometry to some assets.
- The reflections have also increased their resolution on PC, but still dragging some problems with the SSR as PS5 (which to date has not been patched either).
- Water physics and interaction has been improved on PC.
- Some settings, such as textures or reflections, seem to be broken at the lowest setting. Some textures are kept in Ultra and others are not shown.
- Longer draw distance on PC.
- Shadow resolution is higher on PC, however, some areas have banding that does not occur on PS5.
- DLSS shines again showing a higher image quality compared to FSR 2.0. In any case, both reconstruction techniques show a better image than PS5 performance mode using the same resolution.
- Load times are 5 times faster on PS5. This is a clear indication of the lack of optimization on PC.
- Slight improvements in global illumination on PC.
- A 3050 suffers to reach 60fps at 1080p with high settings and DLSS. Steam Deck is not a recommended version as its framerate drops below 25fps with settings on low + FSR. - I don't doubt that The Last of Us Part I will be a great version on PC, but I don't consider it the ideal time to play it."

It also highlights tons of bugs in the PC version as well, several of which were also picked up in the DF video. Crashes, missing animations, clipping textures, banding and flickering shadows, insanely long load times, PS3 level textures on 8GB GPU's and a performance profile that is completely off the reservation compared to every game released so far this generation. It's pretty clear this game is a total mess on PC right now and quite obviously should not be being used to judge the relative performance of the systems regardless of how optimised the console version is.

The EnAnallistaDeBits video shows various instances of the PC going beyond the PS5 settings:

"- The PC version includes visual improvements over PS5, but also drags quite a few issues.
- Random crashes and frame-pacing regardless of settings (still occurring on an RTX 4080 on Low) is the main problem. The next patch should address this as a priority.
- Some animations do not display correctly on PC. For example, the animation of Ellie climbing stairs is missing.
- PC features a slight improvement in texture resolution, but some textures show clipping that does not occur in the PS5 version. PC also adds more geometry to some assets.
- The reflections have also increased their resolution on PC, but still dragging some problems with the SSR as PS5 (which to date has not been patched either).
- Water physics and interaction has been improved on PC.
- Some settings, such as textures or reflections, seem to be broken at the lowest setting. Some textures are kept in Ultra and others are not shown.
- Longer draw distance on PC.
- Shadow resolution is higher on PC, however, some areas have banding that does not occur on PS5.
- DLSS shines again showing a higher image quality compared to FSR 2.0. In any case, both reconstruction techniques show a better image than PS5 performance mode using the same resolution.
- Load times are 5 times faster on PS5. This is a clear indication of the lack of optimization on PC.
- Slight improvements in global illumination on PC.
- A 3050 suffers to reach 60fps at 1080p with high settings and DLSS. Steam Deck is not a recommended version as its framerate drops below 25fps with settings on low + FSR. - I don't doubt that The Last of Us Part I will be a great version on PC, but I don't consider it the ideal time to play it."

It also highlights tons of bugs in the PC version as well, several of which were also picked up in the DF video. Crashes, missing animations, clipping textures, banding and flickering shadows, insanely long load times, PS3 level textures on 8GB GPU's and a performance profile that is completely off the reservation compared to every game released so far this generation. It's pretty clear this game is a total mess on PC right now and quite obviously should not be being used to judge the relative performance of the systems regardless of how optimised the console version is.

Ok

Just tested the smart access memory on/off theory and got these results on my system, game is at Ultra settings.

SAM on:
  • Main menu: 11063MB
  • In-game: 11334MB

SAM off:
  • Main menu: 10961MB
  • In-game: 11190MB

Margin of error stuff if you ask me, maybe it doesn't give me much benefit as I'm not running out of VRAM and on an 8GB GPU it might help?

GPU and CPU load were within 1% of each other.

Last edited:
When they get it to work properly on deck, it will be a good news for everyone, I think.

As it would means they have fixed lots of issues it that would help laptops and pc users too.

It does seem at least that they are aware of the issues and resolved to do something about them. At this point I'm more interested in seeing how much they can fix things than I am in the actual game itself - although I do plan to get it if they sort everything out.

This guy seems to be really frustrated for some reason about this game :) He seems bothered that people say the game is not running well. He was also frustrated when he wrote his initial "analysis" of the game

"All in all, The Last of Us Part I is quite demanding on PC. However, it’s nowhere close to the awful launch versions of Forspoken, The Callisto Protocol, WILD HEARTS or Gotham Knights. This is nowhere close to being described as an unoptimized mess."

This guy seems to be really frustrated for some reason about this game :) He seems bothered that people say the game is not running well. He was also frustrated when he wrote his initial "analysis" of the game

"All in all, The Last of Us Part I is quite demanding on PC. However, it’s nowhere close to the awful launch versions of Forspoken, The Callisto Protocol, WILD HEARTS or Gotham Knights. This is nowhere close to being described as an unoptimized mess."
Haha indeed!

forspoken was basically crash free and no" please wait " loading screen mid gameplay since launch.

Back