CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

I have no idea, I took that number from memory. So I think you got the right number. :)

In regards to Horizon Forbidden West. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/02/horizon-forbidden-west-drives-strong-ps5-ps4-digital-sales

If 67% of your sales are on the new platform, was the investment in a PS4 version worth the money? I think in this case the answer is yes, but at what point do you drop the older gen? Also what, if any, is the limiting effect for the game (PS5 version) to be able to run on the older version to? Would you get more sales, by doing a bigger WOW display on the new gen? I wonder if we can guess anything by looking at Rachet vs HFW, most likely not, but speculation is fun :)

Yes when looking at consoles the numbers, it looks indeed like the ps5 userbase, while smaller, spends more.

If that is the same for android vs ios, im not so sure though. As i have understood, on android you are free to pay using a different platform, whilest on ios you have to go through apple (store). Same for subscribtions. Apple doesnt allow to pay outside of the app store wheras google does.
The most popular paid ios apps are Youtube and Tencent Video. Android also covers close to 70% of the market.

Wanted to cover that as that market was used to compare to the ps4/5, but they are very different to the ios vs android markets. The ios/android revenue numbers dont paint the whole picture.

For Sony (ps4 vs ps5) your probably right though, their in the same ecosystem under the same umbrella so comparisons are easier to make there.

If 67% of your sales are on the new platform, was the investment in a PS4 version worth the money? I think in this case the answer is yes, but at what point do you drop the older gen?
That would depend on the investment needed for the PS4 version, right? If $67 out of every hundred you make comes from PS5, that means $33 comes from PS4. That would imply that excluding the PS4 from the equation, you are leaving a substantial amount of income on the table. That's a 50% increase in sales compared to just the PS5 version of the game. If the investment is low enough, we will continue to see cross gen games. And why wouldn't we, since making a PS4 game doesn't exclude PS5 players from the game or exclusive features/modes/graphics like it used to in previous generations. And the same is true for Xbox.

I have just played the free 5 hours on PS5 and I was very happy with it. Without having played the previous (awful?) PS5 versions the game seems quite polished and very good looking. Overall it seemed very next-gen to me.

+ 60fps Framerate is overall stable (but not perfect),
+ FOV is quite decent for a console game
+ At first the controls were meh but I discovered that they were almost entirely customizable, even the acceleration. Guys I have never seen such options on console, it should be on all consoles games, I have almost cried when I discovered the hidden options :yep2::LOL:.

Capture-8.png

+ Very good immersion, assets are very good, tons of details everywhere.
+ The whole city looks great and with lively crowds, stuff happening, cars etc.
+ Gameplay is interesting and varied, I barely used the hacking and all other stuff (followed the main mission with guns) but it looks promising.
+ Story is OK, cutscenes are very well done and don't break 1st person immersion as you see through the character
+ The tech used (DRS + AA) is excellent. The game seems 4K-ish most of the time to me with few aliasing, no reconstruction artefacts, very stable in motion. Great stuff. Much better than what Guerrilla use on PS5.

- Menus, UIs. They are awfully complex and unappealing.

Yeah, I'm thinking I am back going to buy it (the problem is I currently don't have much time to play... :no:)

That would depend on the investment needed for the PS4 version, right?
Yes, and what is that number? Or rather what is your guess? I would think when we hit 10-15% we are getting there.

And why wouldn't we, since making a PS4 game doesn't exclude PS5 players from the game or exclusive features/modes/graphics like it used to in previous generations. And the same is true for Xbox.
Now you are creating "two" different games, which probably creates permutations in QA etc.
I would assume you want to keep everything the same as much as possible.
But this is basically just money, how much should you put into creating a PS4/XBOne version?

I have no clue, but there is cutoff point somewhere.

I finished the main campaign at 48 hours, having done all the side missions I was interested (not shooting competitions or racing) and a pile of gigs, and enjoyed it for what it was. The detail in the open world environment is hugely impressive but let down by the glaringly obvious mix of quality, and lack of variation in NPCs, most of whom look like rejects from Watch Dogs. And although it's improved, I can't just past how all other vehicles don't turn using their wheels and power into a new direction, they just spin on their axis to change direction - and there is a general lack of them.

I'll be re-re-diving into GTA V on PS5 tomorrow so it'll be interesting to jump between these two open world games. I had a quick leap into the PS4 version and it's astonishing how more immersive and believe GTA V's city in compared to Night City so it'll be interesting to see what GTA V looks like on console with pixels, NPCs and vehicles and something approaching a modern graphics engine.

i don't think it'll be much different thant the PC version of GTAV, but a city that feels more "lively" and busier is the one in Red Dead Redemption 2, even if it's from the 19st century, it feels so good. I'd love a next gen update for this game.

i don't think it'll be much different thant the PC version of GTAV, but a city that feels more "lively" and busier is the one in Red Dead Redemption 2, even if it's from the 19st century, it feels so good. I'd love a next gen update for this game.

I loved RDR2 on paper and love the way that world looks, so beautiful at times. I just didn’t like the life … but if that game ever got an update that did away with the load times so I could jump in just like that, man, that would be great.

I haven’t even tried Cyberpunk myself after my son played it a bit, but he also dropped out again rather quickly. But Horizon and GT7 in particular haven’t left much room for anything else for me anyway at the moment.

I did like the character creator though … and in general it is a pretty cool world, it’s nice that it is different, if you know what I mean, instead of just a reduced version of reality in some ways. But I’m not sure again if I will like my role in that world.

I think I would have liked the Witcher if I didn’t hate fighting giant monsters so much. I even didn’t like that in Horizon now with the snake battle. It just seems so … artificial … compared to how relatively organic the smaller battles can be.

I loved RDR2 on paper and love the way that world looks, so beautiful at times. I just didn’t like the life … but if that game ever got an update that did away with the load times so I could jump in just like that, man, that would be great.

I played RDR2 on PS4 at launch and concluded the story, along with many side missions, random discovered and many random encounters, in about a week. I remember struggling with the controls when I started playing but ploughed through those but the controls are what's kept me replaying this game and I've tried t few times to power through. When it's as easy to punch a horse as mount it, or shoot somebody rather than lower you gun, in a game set in the West? :nope:

I haven’t even tried Cyberpunk myself after my son played it a bit, but he also dropped out again rather quickly. But Horizon and GT7 in particular haven’t left much room for anything else for me anyway at the moment.
Cyberpunk is a pretty good RPG with a lot of variety in how you develop your character and how you interact with the world. And unlike the Witcher 3, following the main storyline is a pretty tight experience.

I think I would have liked the Witcher if I didn’t hate fighting giant monsters so much. I even didn’t like that in Horizon now with the snake battle. It just seems so … artificial … compared to how relatively organic the smaller battles can be.
I loved the Witcher 3 but the story and quest structure was too drawn-out and convoluted. I.e. you need item A for person X, but before person X will give item A you, person X needs items B and C. Item B can be found half-way across the map which is nowhere in the story so it a long slog and item C can be obtained from person Y who first will want you to get item D from person Z. And where RPG mechanics like killing, stealing and mind-controlling exist, they are almost never options so you end up down the rabbit hold.

There actually are very few mandatory giant monster battles in Witcher 3. The vast majority of those are Witcher contracts and entirely optional., but even skipping those, it's still a long, long game across three acts. Whereas I reckon I could have completed Cyberpunk in under half of the 48 hours I took me to complete. I easily spent as much time on side quests and diversions as I did main missions and I drove or ran everywhere, rarely using fast travel.

See I never got past the first non optional boss battle and that was very early on, so I never got to be annoyed by fetch quests, even though if the world map was interesting enough, it could be quite relaxing to just travel through it at leisure [emoji16] so who knows I wouldn’t even have hated that.

Come to think of it in the first horizon there is this battle with a pretty tough critter too at some point that I had too much trouble with and it wasn’t optional and then I just dropped the game. Got past it much later but by then I lost a lot of motivation.

Whereas with Assassin’s Creed games it has typically been stealth missions that eventually killed my enjoyment of the game. I think it’s an ok mechanic if it is optional and it is easier than just fighting your way through, but once it becomes a path finding mini game etc with small control issues having large consequences to boot, it becomes … meh.

Game mechanics have to stay organic and not draw attention to themselves too much, would be my take.

Last edited:
See I never got past the first non optional boss battle and that was very early on, so I never got to be annoyed by fetch quests, even though if the world map was interesting enough, it could be quite relaxing to just travel through it at leisure [emoji16] so who knows I wouldn’t even have hated that.

That would be the griffin I'm guessing. Wither 3 has an easy difficulty described by the game as "just the story". In practise this means you can button mash and kill most enemies in a few hits with little preparation or strategy. Bosses take a few more but as long as it's not a lvl 1 vs lvl 20 scenario, you will not be gated by a monster.

If you want to ride around serenely, enjoying the scenery and feeling bad ass by slaying baddies and monsters with ease, the lowest difficulty is for you.

I have been enjoying my time with CP2077 actually. Just Elden Ring has pretty much monopolized my time for the next forseeable while, giving CDR some more time to patch the XSX version ha.

I guess it's a random event and not a bug, but first time i see this

The last time I played through I saw this. I went to visit Regina at her office and this dude just pizza'd on the pavement in front of me. When you go up to Reginas office there is an open window exactly where the dude falls from. But there is no discussion or explanation as to why he jumped or got thrown. Just another day in Night City I guess :/

Allegedly cp2077 is $5 at bestbuy not sure what formats
edit: ended april the 7th - sorry (is there a delete post option)
One would assume these were PS4 and XboxOne versions. BestBuy don't sell PC games.

No regrets myself for buying it at launch. Despite not having finished it (open world game with icons all over) and regardless of any bugs I ran into, I still had a LOT of fun in the game. Although I'd probably be more critical if I hadn't gone in assuming that it'd be buggy (CDPR tradition with game releases). It being set in a Cyberpunk theme'd world also helped immensely.

Also helps that I didn't have to try playing on a XBO, PS4 or PS5 as experience on those was pretty bleh. XBS-X (running XBO-X version) and PC were pretty good, outside of the bugs, from launch.

Regards,
SB

Back