CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

No regrets myself for buying it at launch.
PS4 pro version on PS5 was good, just a bit empty, but good performance overall, had a few crashes through, and a lot of funny bugs.

Same. I watched a bunch of streams to see how the PS4 version ran on PS5 at lunch and performance was fine, and this was the chief criticism against the console versions. I sunk about 17 hours in that version before getting distracted with some else. I started over with the native PS5 versions earlier this year and completely the story and really enjoyed it.

I have no qualms about pre-ordering - as long as I know what to expect. I won't pre-order anything that has reviews locked until launch day.

I have no qualms about pre-ordering - as long as I know what to expect. I won't pre-order anything that has reviews locked until launch day.

I try to always not pre-order something, but I do make exceptions for developers that I generally trust (very small list). That doesn't always work out well as my last pre-order of a Relic title (Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War III) backfired badly. That basically removed Relic from my "safe" to pre-order list of developers.

Regards,
SB

I try to always not pre-order something, but I do make exceptions for developers that I generally trust (very small list).
You can't "always" not pre-order if there are "exceptions". haha.

I trust no bugger. I'm old, I have experience of disappointment. Unlike most gamers, I learned for that. Release day review embargo = no pre-order. If folks didn't learn from the launch mess that was Cyberpunk, from CD Projekt Red, well respected by gamers at the time, I really don't know what to say. Anybody can f*** up.

They sold 13 million right at launch and then just 5 more in a year and a half. They really strangled themselves with that launch
Pretty sure that's a faster pace than Witcher 3. That was about 10 million in the first 18 months, IIRC. So 30% faster. Considering it's PSN delisting and bad press all around, it's a pretty remarkable achievement. Especially if you consider that people could have just returned it.

Pretty sure that's a faster pace than Witcher 3. That was about 10 million in the first 18 months, IIRC. So 30% faster. Considering it's PSN delisting and bad press all around, it's a pretty remarkable achievement. Especially if you consider that people could have just returned it.

It's a flop for the history books in fact. We need to keep in mind that figures in a vacuum don't mean anything and don't matter. We need context. 18 million sounds awesome if you just read it like that. But then when you look at the fact that this is one of the most expensive games in history at 320 million. In fact we dont even have a higher figure for any game ever to my knowledge. Except Star Citizen :))

Polish analysts projections were for 70 million lifetime sales. Then they cut it to 49 million. Then they cut it to 35 million sold until end of 2024. Then in december 2021 a Bloomberg article claimed analysts estimated the game sold 17.3 million then. And now we get this figure that they estimated in 2021 but in mid april 2022. This game underperformed so bad that it underperformed 3 layers of reduced targets.

Remember that this was one of the most anticipated games in history. Fastest selling pc game in history. First singleplayer game in history to crack 1 million steam players. The 4th game in history to reach those numbers on steam. This was not a normal game, normal expectations and numbers dont apply here. The game basically launched with cca 13.5 million in sales. Sales cratered so bad imediately that the game only sold 4.5 million more in one and a half years. And the game is 5 dollars aparently at best buy.

Its as far as you can possibly get from a resounding success. Its a sales failure so bad it almost has no equal. When you predict 70 million copies sold and you end up with 20-25 million in that timeframe, you've done something wrong there

How realistic were some of those projections? Especially the 70m one. Even at 49m, how many games in history have sold that many or even "just" 40m+? That would be an insane risk if you based your budgeting on the project based on that level of sales.

Considering how many records it broke at launch i'd say pretty realistic. As i've said, this wasnt a regular game, there are no paralels to draw with other games. This was Cyberpunk. Other games moved their releases to 2021 and actually said so, we dont wanna launch next to cyberpunk. People were taking days off from work for it. It should have been a phenomenon in gaming.

Even if we disregard those huge projected numbers from analysts, CD Red most definitely had their internal numbers somewhere along those lines. What is undisputed is that this game wildly underperformed and is absolutely, without question NOT a success for CD Red.

It's a flop for the history books in fact. We need to keep in mind that figures in a vacuum don't mean anything and don't matter. We need context. 18 million sounds awesome if you just read it like that. But then when you look at the fact that this is one of the most expensive games in history at 320 million. In fact we dont even have a higher figure for any game ever to my knowledge. Except Star Citizen :))

Polish analysts projections were for 70 million lifetime sales. Then they cut it to 49 million. Then they cut it to 35 million sold until end of 2024. Then in december 2021 a Bloomberg article claimed analysts estimated the game sold 17.3 million then. And now we get this figure that they estimated in 2021 but in mid april 2022. This game underperformed so bad that it underperformed 3 layers of reduced targets.

Remember that this was one of the most anticipated games in history. Fastest selling pc game in history. First singleplayer game in history to crack 1 million steam players. The 4th game in history to reach those numbers on steam. This was not a normal game, normal expectations and numbers dont apply here. The game basically launched with cca 13.5 million in sales. Sales cratered so bad imediately that the game only sold 4.5 million more in one and a half years. And the game is 5 dollars aparently at best buy.

Its as far as you can possibly get from a resounding success. Its a sales failure so bad it almost has no equal. When you predict 70 million copies sold and you end up with 20-25 million in that timeframe, you've done something wrong there
They made a tremendous amt of money off this game. How can anyone argue it not being a resounding success. In the end making a profit is the only thing they care about.

The post you quoted does nothing but explain why its not a success :)) It literally starts with saying dont do what you are just doing right now. Stop looking at how much money they made without puting that in context. The game is not a success. It failed every goal they had for it. They expected the game to sell for many years, like Witcher 3 did. And the news to which you're responding that Cyberpunk was a success is saying how poor the game sold since launch

Considering how many records it broke at launch i'd say pretty realistic. As i've said, this wasnt a regular game, there are no paralels to draw with other games. This was Cyberpunk. Other games moved their releases to 2021 and actually said so, we dont wanna launch next to cyberpunk. People were taking days off from work for it. It should have been a phenomenon in gaming.

Even if we disregard those huge projected numbers from analysts, CD Red most definitely had their internal numbers somewhere along those lines. What is undisputed is that this game wildly underperformed and is absolutely, without question NOT a success for CD Red.

Using the list on Wikipedia as an example the games above 40m+ in sales so far have been Rockstar games (GTA V, RDR2), Nintendo properties, "classics" like Tetris, Minecraft and PUBG. 70m, and even 40m+ would be an insane level of success still at this point in time for the gaming market. Even a 35m+ count by 2024 would've been an insane level of mainstream success relatively speaking.

How hyped was Cyberpunk 2077 really? At least my impression here might be that people might be projecting the demographics they belong to with how other demographics feel. Cyberpunk 2077 to me seemed more hyped among "PC gamers" and "hardcore gamers" (for the lack of a better term) relative to "console gamers" and "casual" or even "mainstream" gamers. This is not to say it wasn't hyped at all with those segments but relatively speaking. CDPR also to me has a stronger impression with the PC market relative to the console market, and the situation with Cyberpunk 2077 on the last gen consoles might not help this impression. Were say non gamers talking about Cyberpunk 2077? Was it prevalent in pop culture outside of gaming? (aside of awareness of Keanu Reeves). GTA and Mario as game examples for instance were truly mainstream, people you would not even remotely consider gamers know those properties.

Even Cyberpunk itself as a genre is much more on the niche side as far as things go and I'd say saw it's heyday more so in the 90s. If we look at say Cyberpunk settings in other media properties more recently they've had limited success as well in the mainstream, and some of those were drawing on much more known franchise (eg. Ghost in the Shell, Bladerunner, Matrix). Maybe if it were launching into a genre resurgence off the say the mass success of Bladerunner, that could have given it a mainstream boost.

How hyped was Cyberpunk 2077 really? At least my impression here might be that people might be projecting the demographics they belong to with how other demographics feel. Cyberpunk 2077 to me seemed more hyped among "PC gamers" and "hardcore gamers" (for the lack of a better term) relative to "console gamers" and "casual" or even "mainstream" gamers.

Breaking several sale records indicated it was pretty hyped. The marketing budget must have been insane. Razor was making Cyberpunk Viper's. Streamers and youtubers were pushing the game to the point of insanity. They had jackets, mugs, chairs with cyberpunk. There was Keanu Reeves.

The simple bottom line is that CD Red had certain goals with this game. None of them were achieved. That represents a failure. It doesnt matter how unrealistic those goals may seem to us. CD Red had them and they werent achieved

They made a tremendous amt of money off this game. How can anyone argue it not being a resounding success. In the end making a profit is the only thing they care about.
One could argue about it by looking at their shareprice
before Cyberpunk 443 zloty
currently 167 zloty, i.e. less than half
Though the shareprice has actually been pretty stable for the last year, All that loss in value to the company was in the few months after the release of cyberpunk.
Its safe to say the market feels the game underperformed and damaged the company as a whole.

I think they realize now waiting 6 months would of been the best thing to do, hopefully it serves as a lesson to other companies, in dont release products prematurely (I'm just dreaming of course)

Back