Forza Horizon 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

This is easily the best looking racing game I've ever played on my PC, and performance on my 5900X + 6900XT is just flawless.
I disabled resolution scaling, maxed out everything (FOMO galore), got MSAA 4X and at my native 3440*1440p resolution the thing still runs well above my monitor's 75 Hz.

How angry can I be about the game's terrible support for 21:9 monitors though?

All the video cutscenes are in 21:9 as well as the menu and loading screens. And I have a 21:9 monitor so this will just look great on my monitor, right? Wrong.
The game forces itself to a 16:9 output until the gameplay starts, so I get a letterboxed 21:9 output inside my 21:9 monitor. It's especially frustrating in the videos.

View attachment 5999
Try enabling the AMD transparency super sampling equivalent in your driver. If it works it’s a big IQ boost.

Last edited:
Nope, welcome to Horizon. It's a weird game that isn't really racing. Think of your car as your avatar, just drive around and do whatever you want. They lay out a bunch of activites across the map, and you could do them or skip them. The game has no real bearing on your vehicle of choice. You can upgrade your cars to compete in higher divisions, or drive different ones etc. No such thing as a bad car, as any bad car can be upgraded.

Ok thanks, that actually sounds cool. I'm obviously in the tutorial zone but it's not really overtly tutorialising (no actual explanations), it's hoping I'll work it out. Whilst it's nice to try different cars at the start I didn't get long enough with any one to really try out on different terrain, just a few mins going from here to here. Good to know I can swap around.

I don't like the open world aspect either. But once in a race it really feels like a driveclub 2 to me which is great.
I don't care about the racing, I just want to zoom around an open world but it keeps jamming sodding menus and context-less narrative in my face.

I'll definitely come back to it because the driving feels nice, but I need to check out GTA Definitive Edition and the PS5 upgrade for Skyrim is downloading, which can only mean one thing. :runaway:

I don't care about the racing, I just want to zoom around an open world but it keeps jamming sodding menus and context-less narrative in my face.

you need to finish at least one "region/area" (dunno what the game called it, waaaaaaaaaaay too many forza-specifc terminology instead of using more common English) to stop the menu bombardment considerably. It wont totally go away IIRC. But at least it will be way way less.

I wonder why FH always have these "CG-look". While GT always have "photo realistic look"

I can't point out the cause at all. Surely maybe simply due to different art direction. But what exactly the things that makes FH have CG-look?

How do you view your in-game saved photos outside of the game on Gamepass PC? Can't find any information anywhere.

I wonder why FH always have these "CG-look". While GT always have "photo realistic look"

I can't point out the cause at all. Surely maybe simply due to different art direction. But what exactly the things that makes FH have CG-look?

depends on lighting condition, sometimes FH5 looks very photorealistic.
Also note that though this car model looks more detailed in Driveclub, not all car models in FH5 are treated equal, some "higher value" models are more accurately rendered than this Audi.

depends on lighting condition, sometimes FH5 looks very photorealistic.
Also note that though this car model looks more detailed in Driveclub, not all car models in FH5 are treated equal, some "higher value" models are more accurately rendered than this Audi.

Yeah when the lights are harsh / blinding like on sunset, FH does looks more realistic. But gt sport looks realistic in way more time of day.

I'm not disliking the FH style. Heck I though the CG-look is a good fit for the gameplay style. But I still can't put my finger on what exactly the things that makes FH got CG-look.

Btw I'm almost exclusively drive porse taycan. As it's the only electric car in the game (please let me know if there's other electric cars).

Driving it with radio off sounds really good. The environment sound is really rich

Horizon Arcade events are really stupidly designed sometimes. The requirement for the total points doesn't seem to be relative to the amount of participants in the event, so you end up with yourself and one other driver with zero chance to actually make it through the first round. How hard is it to dynamically adjust based on attendance?

This game o_O all ingame drone

FD5SmH_XIAAHSf7

FD5SgnCXEAQGwup

FD5I6JxWQAEk4_t
FD5F8qwWQAEyRLm
FD5GIGcWQAkd4FI
FD5GRmlWYAUx7MG
FD5GX0_XEAIgdxy
FD5GcADXoAE_xw6

FD5SgnCXEAQGwup
Very nice, even though I can see how its made (and its failings), I have to appluad the artists
Gran Tourismo needs to raise their game, esp since I can see where FH6 will improve (and obviously the FHdevs also), otherwise FH6 vs GT7 is a whitewash (in FH favor) GT cant rely on their better lighting forever

FD5SgnCXEAQGwup

What's cool and impressive to me is that all that wood debris on the ground are objects that react to your vehicle. It's a driving game, it's these little things that they didn't need to do but did anyway that impress me.

Although, again, I'm reminded how this is the same engine that will be driving the next Fable game, which makes me more excited for Fable than any previous announcement of work being done on a new Fable game. Basically FH5 has done more to get me excited about the next Fable than any of the news about the next Fable.

Regards,
SB

What's cool and impressive to me is that all that wood debris on the ground are objects that react to your vehicle. It's a driving game, it's these little things that they didn't need to do but did anyway that impress me.

Although, again, I'm reminded how this is the same engine that will be driving the next Fable game, which makes me more excited for Fable than any previous announcement of work being done on a new Fable game. Basically FH5 has done more to get me excited about the next Fable than any of the news about the next Fable.

I can't help but wonder how tricky converting a racing engine to an RPG has been. The 'Anthem Effect', if you will.

Back