Windows 11 [2021]

Having lived through (and having barely survived) the OS/2, Windows NT/95, and NextStep/OS X marketing hype waves, I am not so easily convinced by that Apple-esque marketing pitch for Windows 11 - and especially when it takes the often criticized Apple-esque planned obsolescense to the extremes of disqualifying any hardware released more that 4 years ago.

Even with some superficial promises of extended 'security' and 'isolation', these server and enterprise requirements for 'secured' and 'trusted' remote-manageable PCs don't offer much for home users, who will want to retain control of their own hardware rather.

And for an OS release made with such a great fanfare, and the even greater controversy that followed, they should have offered like 99.99% 'reduction of malware infections, not just 60%.

I doubt Intel or amd want to go back and write new drivers for old devices they stopped selling years ago.
They have been patching serious security vulnerabilities in Windows for 20 years now but athere are still new bugs found in their code each day. So of course it's easier to put the burden on device driver writers and end users and require another level of abstraction which is not compatible with old software and hardware, rather than to finally tighten all the insecure code of your own OS.

Please give me the containers it would solve so many problems in windows
Containers have no relation to hypervisor virtualisation or malware protection.

Linux supports OS-level virtualization where the Linux Kernel can run multiple independent user spaces, isolating them from each other through separate virtual memory space and system call state.

Therefore a Linux container is an OS image snapshot of all installed programs and libraries, but including only the the user-mode parts, while the Linux Kernel remains outside of the container. This allows you to configure your specifics applications and libraries as a 'container' image, which can run on any server in the stack, in multiple copies. There is no need for a hypervisor since you run the same OS kernel to host all the containers.

OTOH Windows does not publish its kernel interfaces, so it has to run a full copy of Windows OS in each container, with another copy of Windows OS as a hypervisor host. This is similar to the original Windows support for Linux containers where each VM runs a full Linux OS image under a Windows OS hypervisor.

Now what is 'application container' exactly - each application or process running their own copy of either Windows OS, or the Win32/UWP subsystem, in a Virtual machine managed by another copy of Windows OS as the hypervisor host? With all the additional overhead of hardware virtualization on top of virtual address space and process threading and synchronisation?

Thank you very much and goodbye, Windows 10X, we hardly knew ye ;)

Last edited:
I am excited for Android support because - aside mobile applications that I need to use my phone for (like banking or robot vacuum cleaner apps) - I will have access to mobile games.

Having lived through (and having barely survived) the OS/2, Windows NT/95, and NextStep/OS X marketing hype waves, I am not so easily convinced by that Apple-esque marketing pitch for Windows 11 - and especially when it takes the often criticized Apple-esque planned obsolescense to the extremes of disqualifying any hardware released more that 4 years ago.

Even with some superficial promises of extended 'security' and 'isolation', these server and enterprise requirements for 'secured' and 'trusted' remote-manageable PCs don't offer much for home users, who will want to retain control of their own hardware rather.

And for an OS release made with such a great fanfare, and the even greater controversy that followed, they should have offered like 99.99% 'reduction of malware infections, not just 60%.

They have been patching serious security vulnerabilities in Windows for 20 years now but athere are still new bugs found in their code each day. So of course it's easier to put the burden on device driver writers and end users and require another level of abstraction which is not compatible with old software and hardware, rather than to finally tighten all the insecure code of your own OS.

Linux supports OS-level virtualization where the Linux Kernel can run multiple independent user spaces, isolating them from each other through separate virtual memory space and system call state.

Therefore a Linux container is an OS image snapshot of all installed programs and libraries, but including only the the user-mode parts, while the Linux Kernel remains outside of the container. This allows you to configure your specifics applications and libraries as a 'container' image, which can run on any server in the stack, in multiple copies. There is no need for a hypervisor since you run the same OS kernel to host all the containers.

OTOH Windows does not publish its kernel interfaces, so it has to run a full copy of Windows OS in each container, with another copy of Windows OS as a hypervisor host. This is similar to the original Windows support for Linux containers where each VM runs a full Linux OS image under a Windows OS hypervisor.

Now what is 'application container' exactly - each application or process running their own copy of either Windows OS, or the Win32/UWP subsystem, in a Virtual machine managed by another copy of Windows OS as the hypervisor host? With all the additional overhead of hardware virtualization on top of virtual address space and process threading and synchronisation?

Thank you very much and goodbye, Windows 10X, we hardly knew ye ;)

1) i've been around for a long time also. It's better to rip a band-aid off than string stuff around and half create a half assed solution that blows up in their face.

2) Majority of users will gain major benefits from a secure OS

3)Any reduction in Malware / virus is a good thing. 60% is a huge number and will go to make windows a much better experience

4) I mean that is great for linux. Linux is not windows and if users want that without hardware requirements MS has set they can just go to linux ?

5) What do you mean , this is 80% of what windows 10x was. They decided they had enough here to go with a new OS. Also thankfully they didn't call it windows 10 x and confuse the fuck out of everyone.

MS is continuing support for windows 10 another 4 years . Which means that 4 year old hardware will be supported by MS another 4 years for a total of 8 years. That is a very long support life. How long should they support hardware ? Original skylake from 2015/16 were discontinued by intel in 2019 and are end of life. 8th gen has also been discontinued by intel. How much longer do you think Intel is going to want to continue support ?

I am sure they are committed to finishing out the life of windows 10 but for 2016 products that will be 8 years. To support those products till the end of windows 11 would be 14 years. 14 years is a long time to provide driver support for the cpu , chipsets and anything else related to that chipset.

I wonder if MS might just say screw it and extend windows 10 EOL out another year or two .

You can also just download the .APK from wherever and install it straight without touching any stores

Interestingly enough, after Android app compatibility was announced for Win11, Google announced it was moving away from APK to Android App Bundles. Initially this is for the Google Play store, but rumors are that APKs will be deprecated in Android in the future. As well, there's rumors that Google will tighten control over Android App Bundles for security reasons as well as disabling the ability use them to sideload apps.

It'll be interesting to see whether MS will be able to implement support for Android App Bundles in the future.

Regards,
SB

The last breaking hardware and driver change was Windows Vista and it generated a lot of the same complaints. Everyone sht-hammered Microsoft about how it's so irresponsible and unacceptable, and yet we all got over it. If you have Windows Vista hardware, you can still run Windows 10 to this very day. Let's not get too hyperbolic about Microsoft force-obsoleting hardware just yet. To progress forward, sometimes there are things which need to be dropped. Which brings us to:

I'm not sure this is a fair picture you've painted. Here's one perspective: Linux has more CVE's than Windows does, and they too are still finding new bugs in their code each day. There, I too made a perfectly valid yet hyperbolic statement to paint Linux in the same bad light. I wager you will find it distasteful, that's your right.

Here's another perspective: a 32-bit Windows application that runs on Windows 2000 has an incredibly high probability of running correctly on the current 21H1 release of WIndows 10. Ever try running a 20-year old Llinux application on a modern version of Linux? I have, and it's basically impossible to hunt down all the bullshit dependency RPMs with all the compatibility issues. Microsoft has highly prioritized compatibility with legacy, and in doing so, unfortunately must drag along a lot of legacy interfaces. Windows 11 is going to break a lot of this, on purpose, and it's going to make people upset.

Very much depends on the container technology.

So does Windows.

Not true. It can run a hypervisor host as a way to further manage isolation though.

Let me help you out: Isolation Modes | Microsoft Docs

Windows 11 is going to continue to piss some people off, because those people want their cake while eating it and/or don't have any grasp on the technology implications underneath. I think both are understandable (the former being a bit obtuse, but whatever) and that's just part of doing business in a software world. Microsoft made it through Vista just fine, they'll make it through Windows 11 just fine. A breaking change to a base operating system of your PC once a decade isn't the same as forced obsolesence of a cell phone every three years.

Thank you all! Are you running Windows 10 'Vibranium' builds, or Insider Preview 'Cobalt' biuld?

So far it looks like HVCI support does require specific UEFI firmware features, even if you have the supported processor generation...:(

Only Intel Kaby Lake and later systems seem to enable these features by default, while AMD Ryzen systems are inconsistent...

https://linustechtips.com/topic/135...-market/page/5/?tab=comments#comment-14833134

Did you flash the latest AGESA 1.2.0.3b firmware?

Strange, looks like hypervisor is not enabled. Is that latest BIOS?
no I didnt. Features 3,4 seem to be OS related, but upon trying to find them on the OS -Windows 11- a message appears that all the security measures are enabled on the PC, as if I dont need to enable them or cant choose to enable them. Odd.

Interestingly enough, after Android app compatibility was announced for Win11, Google announced it was moving away from APK to Android App Bundles. Initially this is for the Google Play store, but rumors are that APKs will be deprecated in Android in the future. As well, there's rumors that Google will tighten control over Android App Bundles for security reasons as well as disabling the ability use them to sideload apps.

It'll be interesting to see whether MS will be able to implement support for Android App Bundles in the future.

Regards,
SB
Google tends to make moves like that... Wonder how they are going to fight Ahrefs search engine now, which is the biggest threat to their monopoly in 10-20 years.

On another note, read in the news that Windows 11 full updates are going to take a year instead of 6 months -maybe you find this interesting...- and they are going to be 40% more efficient and also tell you how much time an update might take.

Windows 11 is going to have dynamic refresh rate on high refresh rate monitors to save energy.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-dynamic-refresh-rate

I dont understand the negative views on MS latest Windows 11 either.... I think W10 in its current form is the best windows version yet, and W11 will only improve on everything, with Direct Storage a very eftersought one.

anyone know how to move the taskbar to right side of screen?

bottom bar is REALLY annoying to be used on a touchscreen laptop

anyone know how to move the taskbar to right side of screen?

bottom bar is REALLY annoying to be used on a touchscreen laptop
Locked to the bottom, sadly. I'm seriously considering going to therapy if it stays that way (like they say it would)

Also wtf right side? It belongs to the left side of the screen

Back