Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Every developer effectively has more RAM available at their disposal now and game design is freed up because there is less need to think how to structure the game based on assets that need to be loaded

Could be placeholder
I don't know why, but I imagined The Placeholder as the title for the next Nolan's movie. The placeholder wouldn't be a figure, but a man, the main character. He's the placeholder and does complex shit while loud music is playing in the background.

On topic, yes, it could... who knows. Or maybe it's just an elaborate fake.

PS: Internet Explorer. Ew...

Every developer effectively has more RAM available at their disposal now and game design is freed up because there is less need to think how to structure the game based on assets that need to be loaded

devs were complaining about RAM, and honestly 16 gb of ram is not that much. the real question is how will the SSD play a part in this. What can you do with VRAM? Skyboxes? Background?

devs were complaining about RAM, and honestly 16 gb of ram is not that much. the real question is how will the SSD play a part in this. What can you do with VRAM? Skyboxes? Background?
The SSD's speed helps the developers use the RAM mostly for what it is useful to the player's near proximity at any given moment. Because earlier the HDDs were slow, the RAM were filled with information that arent accessible to the player. Games were often bigger in size too with duplicated (if not more) data so that the HDD would be able to access them fast to feed the RAM.
To put it simply, 10GB (the number is just an example) of information now are related to what the player sees on screen and can access at that or any very close moment. Whereas 10GBs before included data that arent immediately useful (like for example assets and chunks of the level that the player cant see until much later). Both cases fill the RAM with 10GB but one example has 10GB worth of data on screen and near the player's proximity, whereas the 10GB worth of data in the other example includes data that are unrelated to the player's experience at that moment, chunks of data that will be accessed much much later by the player and effectively what the player interacts with and sees is far less.

Devs wont worry as much about structuring the game with loading sections either.

499 and 399?

My wild guess is

1. Sony think that PS5DE is the main seller, in my very scientific poll of 10 friends with PS4, only 1 is buying discs. The 9 others are digital only.
2. The goal always was 399 for PS5DE
3. PS5 with BDD is just because not all segments of the market are ready for DE. Either because of infrastructure or the I need my disc technophobes :p

So I am staking my claim on 399€ and 449€

My wild guess is

1. Sony think that PS5DE is the main seller, in my very scientific poll of 10 friends with PS4, only 1 is buying discs. The 9 others are digital only.
2. The goal always was 399 for PS5DE
3. PS5 with BDD is just because not all segments of the market are ready for DE. Either because of infrastructure or the I need my disc technophobes :p

So I am staking my claim on 399€ and 449€

Discs also make for easy presents. I think the only disc I got in the last year or two was Death Stranding as a present for Xmas. Easy.

What is the impact of Dolby Vision HDR10+ Dolby Atmos and PS5 not having it?

Splitting hairs on HDR and audio implementation. HDR10 is free. Dolby vision is not. If you have a TV that support Dolby vision, the quality per pixel might be a little better depending on how well it’s mapped.

Only for cinephiles imo that would care. I would need to contrast compare my own set at home to care. I guess if you paid for a DV TV, you may care enough to have DV supported games. But I'm not expecting it to be a lot of titles.

Last edited:
Sony bashed Dolby when they announced their tempest engine so i assume they wont be partnering up. probably HDR10+ but again Sony isn't talking about anything.

Sony didn’t “bash” anything. They simply said that they want people who might not have a full Atmos setup (ie almost everyone) to still experience a kind of 3D sound.

Please stop regurgitating this kind of statement, and the failed logic that if something isn’t mentioned then it is not supported.

Sony didn’t “bash” anything. They simply said that they want people who might not have a full Atmos setup (ie almost everyone) to still experience a kind of 3D sound.

He also said they wouldn't adopt Atmos because it has a limit of discrete sound sources, 32 I think. Tempest IIRC supports up to 128 sources with reverb, meaning they'll probably use LPCM after manual speaker configuration in the console.

None of it sounded like bashing to me though. They just want to sidestep that Atmos' specific limitation. The PS5 will most probably support Atmos e.g. in its Netflix app, and it'll definitely support Dolby Digital for older systems that only get surround through it on ARC / spdif.

I don't know if the PS5 will support Dolby Vision or just HDR10, but I doubt the presence of that feature will ever depend on their statements over Atmos.

To be honest, I wouldn't even be surprised if the PS5 ends up having an option to "downmix" the Tempest audio objects into Atmos.

Sony bashed Dolby when they announced their tempest engine so i assume they wont be partnering up. probably HDR10+ but again Sony isn't talking about anything.
They did? They probably talked about sound like Dolby Surround and not Dolby vision?

What is the impact of Dolby Vision HDR10+ Dolby Atmos and PS5 not having it?

For gaming, the absence of Dolby vision doesn’t make much of a difference at all.
You already go through a few calibration screens when starting most HDR games, so the software is aware of the capabilities of your screen and can adjust the output accordingly.
The only area where it is of use is of course movie playback.

He also said they wouldn't adopt Atmos because it has a limit of discrete sound sources, 32 I think. Tempest IIRC supports up to 128 sources with reverb, meaning they'll probably use LPCM after manual speaker configuration in the console.

None of it sounded like bashing to me though. They just want to sidestep that Atmos' specific limitation. The PS5 will most probably support Atmos e.g. in its Netflix app, and it'll definitely support Dolby Digital for older systems that only get surround through it on ARC / spdif.

I don't know if the PS5 will support Dolby Vision or just HDR10, but I doubt the presence of that feature will ever depend on their statements over Atmos.

To be honest, I wouldn't even be surprised if the PS5 ends up having an option to "downmix" the Tempest audio objects into Atmos.

Sure, but ultimately Atmos (or dtsx) is just another delivery method for all those additional channels, so you’d think they would support any sort of standard that allows people with more speakers (ie me) to actually hear all those extra goodies coming from Tempest. Pretty sure he didn’t actually say that they would not support it.

So while they mentioned that Atmos has fewer channels than Tempest, it wasn’t implied they wouldn’t support it. I thought quite the opposite, and that while Atmos is great, it still doesn’t have enough channels to fully cover what Tempest can do. Ultimately not even most cinemas would have enough channels to output what Tempest can, in theory, process.

Dolby then commented on that, saying that Atmos has more channels than Sony stated, but that’s another issue.

Last edited:
PS: that segment and the whole presentation was very weird to me.

Cerny said that Atmos is ‘still not enough’ to handle Tempest - fair enough - but then pushed the whole narrative that they will be able to provide full 3D audio though simple stereo speakers. So... stereo is ‘enough’ but full Atmos is not? *shrug*

It follows that the message was not that they don’t care to support Atmos but that Tempest can process a lot more channels than even the best available standard can (Atmos/dtsx).

Back