Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I'm not seeing a $100 price difference for a BluRay drive, it's not 2006 anymore. Sure they will harvest additional margin from software sales but at ~$16 extra (30% on $70) per game you're looking at a long road back to profitibility

I'm not seeing a $100 price difference for a BluRay drive, it's not 2006 anymore. Sure they will harvest additional margin from software sales but at ~$16 extra (30% on $70) per game you're looking at a long road back to profitibility
Its the same system subtracting out the blu ray drive.
If that was enough for a $100 subtraction, I'm sure MS would have considered it; as $399 would have sold like hotcakes.

PS5 will be the only machine with software out that clearly says "here, THIS is what next gen is."

The only console that does :)

There's no perceptible difference in visual quality compared to their competition so far (sorry 8TF github gang, better luck next time).

There's not much this gen either, but one console gets that 'best version on this machine' anyway. Differences might happen later on in the generation though when the hw is being pushed more and more. Whole 2TF's worth of RDNA2 isn't just nothing, half the XSS. Oh and Github was the PS5 all along, 2000mhz/9TF, just that we have boost between that and 10tf ;)

Probably discussed but what is the likelihood that ps5 does not have SFS, VRS, VRR, Mesh Shaders, ML, Workload Distributor, int8/int4 ect ect..

Probably discussed but what is the likelihood that ps5 does not have SFS, VRS, VRR, Mesh Shaders, ML, Workload Distributor, int8/int4 ect ect..

AFAIR, Cerny has not said anything about: SFS, VRS, INT4 and INT8 TOPS.

should have it all I think.
Some variation at most (SFS, VRS, Mesh Shaders, ML Math for Int8/Int4 mixed dot products). But it should be all there I think. I couldn't tell you because Sony won't tell us, and they likely never will.

should have it all I think.
Some variation at most (SFS, VRS, Mesh Shaders, ML Math for Int8/Int4 mixed dot products). But it should be all there I think. I couldn't tell you because Sony won't tell us, and they likely never will.
BRiT's list covers the ones we don't know about, everything else is definitely there, and anyone with a devkit would have to know the answer.

That being said, SFS/Velocity Architecture like stuff isn't all that important given the faster SSD, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't there. MS has a patent on VRS, so Sony might need a unique implementation, not sure what the limitations are there. It's possible there's no INT4/INT8, because Sony isn't planning on sticking these things into datacenters, so extra ML logic might not be necessary. In short, I'm not sure that missing any of the remaining features would matter much, except VRS. If VRS is in fact missing, that could be a huge deal deeper into the gen. There's a lot of potential gains from clever optimization on that front and Sony is already at a tflops disadvantage.

This year, I planned ahead. There is room for both PS5 and Series X. The X will, just, fit underneath and the PS5 will stand proudly in the corner, towering over everything in the living room, like a monolith dedicated to Mark Cerny.

Seriously? You're just weird. I really like Phil & other guys at Xbox, but I don't worship them to that extent. My consoles go on the shelf & after a while, I forget they're there because I'm more busy playing games on them. Have fun with your shrine.

Tommy McClain

BRiT's list covers the ones we don't know about, everything else is definitely there, and anyone with a devkit would have to know the answer.

That being said, SFS/Velocity Architecture like stuff isn't all that important given the faster SSD, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't there. MS has a patent on VRS, so Sony might need a unique implementation, not sure what the limitations are there. It's possible there's no INT4/INT8, because Sony isn't planning on sticking these things into datacenters, so extra ML logic might not be necessary. In short, I'm not sure that missing any of the remaining features would matter much, except VRS. If VRS is in fact missing, that could be a huge deal deeper into the gen. There's a lot of potential gains from clever optimization on that front and Sony is already at a tflops disadvantage.
  • Support for int 8/4 rapid packed math is support in RDNA 1 CUs. That should carry over. You need the ML CU variant that supports mixed dot products, Int 8 to Int 4 dot products etc. That requires a variation.
  • SF is supported by RDNA 2. SFS is only supported by Series X|S
  • VRS is supported by Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and MS. MS only uses their patented version in Xbox, it does not mean that RDNA 2 or PS5 doesn't support it. Xbox may have some additional feature fidelity on their variant
tldr; as long as PS5 is a true RDNA 2 device, it should have the above provided they didn't remove them.
If not; I dunno, anything is game on what you could bring over from RDNA 2 to RDNA 1.

It may have 1 feature less if we follow that controversy over the Sony engineer having his PM tweets exposed online.

I really just ask: does it matter if they are at parity or not? Unless you need the feature for something really important like all this tech is critical for Series S due to how weak it is for instance; but that may not be the case for PS5.

Last edited:
Seriously? You're just weird. I really like Phil & other guys at Xbox, but I don't worship them to that extent. My consoles go on the shelf & after a while, I forget they're there because I'm more busy playing games on them. Have fun with your shrine.

Tommy McClain

Don't pretend that a life size, robotic replica of Phil Spencer - replete with Kinect 3 eyes, an internal Xbox Series X, USB type C nipples, and a cheekily placed HDMI 2.1 port - wouldn't be at least a little bit better than the standard Series X.

Don't pretend that a life size, robotic replica of Phil Spencer - replete with Kinect 3 eyes, an internal Xbox Series X, USB type C nipples, and a cheekily placed HDMI 2.1 port - wouldn't be at least a little bit better than the standard Series X.

How old do you think I am? LOL

I'd rather have a Series S gaming laptop with a detachable keyboard & screen. ;)

Tommy McClain

No not really, it was a joke. My distain for people who get caught up on the fanboy crap is tangible. I cannot understand how somebody can become a fan of a huge multinational company or even somebody they've never met. These companies exist to sell to people and their schtick is getting consumers to think they care or that they understand you.

Gaming laptop? That's why they are making Phil Spencer robot replica's legs load-bearing. So you can sit on its lap while you game. Duh!

Unfortunately, you can't use his Kinect functionality in this mode, as his Kinect 3 eyes roll into the back of his head, and are replaced with tiny 4k screens.

Btw, it's best to try not to cover his mouth, as that's the speaker.

You could expect it, I wouldn't bet on it. There's no reason to expect the same outcome.
They are certainly not starting out the same. For starters there is already a stark difference on how people feel about the hardware and price points for the new hardware compared to TV TV TV/Kinect.

Just off the launch itself, I wouldn't bank on the numbers being the same.

But usually when you increase spend, you should expect to have an increase in customer base. If MS is going up in console sales, in a fixed pie scenario this must imply Sony must lose some. If MS consoles are being picked up as secondary, the ratio will change.
There’s some reason, like that’s the current market share and BC is obviously going to be a factor with so many people having a digital library and invested so much time into their favourite online games (so will want to carry that across).

5 games is not a very long road over the lifetime...

Back