Grounded (Obsidian Entertainment) [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

this game is really confusing for me who has been spoiled with modern video game where everything are clearly marked or examples were provided.

Case 1:
A quest told me to kill BLAHBLAHBLAH but it doesnt show a pic or a video what BLAHBLAHBLAH looks like. Solution? Googling

Case 2:
Something exploded in the distance. But it doesnt provide me with a waypoint or a compass. There's also no smoke stack to follow (or maybe there was, but hidden by the overly strong depth of field).

Feels like im jumping into an MMO in the middle of a season / DLC or something.

As for the gameplay itself, the crafting UX is bad. The game still runs in the background while you are fiddling with crafting menu. But it took the whole screen. Instead of semi transparent on a sidebar like TLOU2. The hitbox for items cluttered in the environment also pretty small (only as big as the object itself), combined that there were no auto aim like DEstiny, it was a pain to grab a piece of leaf.

It feels the game was made for "twitch era" where you'll watch other people play it first before you jump to play. And instead of playing alone like me, you play with friends that can teach each other, learn from each other, explore the unknown together. The feeling was akin to jumping into a fresh raid in Destiny series.

What makes this game so special?

"Honey I Shrunk The Kids" setting. It's wild, but for most they will say it's the survival aspect. If you like those kinds of games & you like cooperative play, then it's great.

Tommy McClain

@orangpelupa It's a game in Preview. Sounds like you're more of a fan of games that are completely baked. If I were you I would wait until it's fully launched. I suspect you might have the same thoughts regarding Sea of Thieves if you had played that during it's beta. I suspect, like SoT, Grounded will get it's footing after a full launch & it will be a much better game for it.

Tommy McClain

What makes this game so special?
its a pretty grounded game. You know the bugs, you know everything, but you're getting a different perspective on it.
The harvesting and crafting system is fairly deep. You can do fun things with it. It's base building is much more in-depth than something like fortnite. The bases in this game are meant to hold in perpetuity or for as long as you need or hold onto them.

this game is really confusing for me who has been spoiled with modern video game where everything are clearly marked or examples were provided.

Case 1:
A quest told me to kill BLAHBLAHBLAH but it doesnt show a pic or a video what BLAHBLAHBLAH looks like. Solution? Googling

Case 2:
Something exploded in the distance. But it doesnt provide me with a waypoint or a compass. There's also no smoke stack to follow (or maybe there was, but hidden by the overly strong depth of field).

It's very open-ended in terms of gameplay, so you're meant to just explore. For the explosion bit, they say it's by the oak tree, and there's only one tree visible, so... you just go exploring in that direction. ;)

Do you guys find the spiders scary ? It was subject to a huge survey at Microsoft to see what level of realism was to much for spiders in the game

Do you guys find the spiders scary ? It was subject to a huge survey at Microsoft to see what level of realism was to much for spiders in the game
like IRL? or in the game?

the game, no. IRL not really. I used to be, but that phobia ended a while back.

like IRL? or in the game?

the game, no. IRL not really. I used to be, but that phobia ended a while back.

IRL & game? No, never. Snakes on other hand? Hell no. Even Snake Pass gives me the creeps.

Tommy McClain

uh huh. :p

with [brit] beating around the bush, and iroboto trying to single handedly kill a spider, that leaves your and my backpacks on the ground. :3

When I was small, I was very afraid of spiders, to the point that a shooting game I played (Xenon 2, a great game) where one of the boss is a huge spider and I have to ask my sister to defeat that boss for me :)
Now I find most in game "cartoony" spiders tolerable (otherwise I wouldn't be able to play Grounded). IRL I also tolerate small spiders well, but I still don't like those large ones so I try to keep my distance from them.

with [brit] beating around the bush, and iroboto trying to single handedly kill a spider, that leaves your and my backpacks on the ground. :3

LOL yeah, that was nuts. I was not trying to ignore the spiders because I was scared of them. Just that I was ill equipped. ;) Later on we figured out how to cheese them from inside the analyzer tent. Definitely a teamwork kind of game.

Tommy McClain

That's because I had no resources to build anything. A lot of someone elses hogged everything. I couldn't even build a second ax, and never got beyond that level of building.

pretty interesting feedback , about 2 months ago they did a survey about different levels of realism in games using very low quality spider models that were 3 cricles with block like legs all the way to highly detailed. I am assuming its this game they did it for

Back