Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The filesystem of baidu can eliminate random write. This is an interesting case because this is the same thing than Sony want to realize with read speed but here with write speed

e seek to maximize both bandwidth and usable capacity. To achieve this goal we propose software-defined flash (SDF), a hardware/software co-designed storage system to maximally exploit the performance characteristics of flash memory in the context of our workloads. SDF exposes individual flash channels to the host software and eliminates space over-provisioning. The host software, given direct access to the raw flash channels of the SSD, can effectively organize its data and schedule its data access to better realize the SSD’s raw performance potential. Currently more than 3000 SDFs have been deployed in Baidu’s storage system that supports its web page and image repository services. Our measurements show that SDF can deliver approximately 95% of the raw flash bandwidth and provide 99% of the flash capacity for user data. SDF

The system is tailored to increase write speed.

The filesystem of baidu can eliminate random write. This is an interesting case because this is the same thing than Sony want to realize with read speed but here with write speed

The system is tailored to increase write speed.
I believe most of the time we tailor our storage systems for read speed. The question is whether we set it up for random blocks or sequential blocks

I believe most of the time we tailor our storage systems for read speed. The question is whether we set it up for random blocks or sequential blocks

The goal is probably to maximize the performance and be able to eliminate random read, for example, like in the Baidu filesystem and keep in real application nearly the same performance as sequential read.

Lol

https://thessdguy.com/baidu-goes-beyond-ssds/

Baidu did something with the same NAND they improve the SSD write speed by 7 to 10 times and reduce the cost per megabyte by 50% of the SSD system

http://ranger.uta.edu/~sjiang/pubs/papers/ouyang14-SDF.pdf

There is a research paper about it

I'll have to take a look at that when I have time. Hopefully the host system has also been modified to do wear leveling and over provisioning at the system level, otherwise SSDs using this will degrade significantly faster than SSDs with on drive wear leveling and over provisioning.

Those last 2 are key to extending the relatively short life span of TLC and QLC NAND cells compared to MLC much less SLC.

Regards,
SB

I hope both Sony & Ms followed a similar route with the new consoles coming... how much CPU power will take this to be accomplished ? So part of the extra CPU power of the new consoles will be used in I/O optimization.... !?![emoji848]

In the patent they have another CPU probably some ARM things for part of the NAND Flash management.

And all SSD have ARM CPU inside, they tailored the software for there needs. and they will probably need a little more powerful ARM CPU due to the speed. For decompression this is ASICS.

Well if this is the case, then 12TF it is. A huge step for console gamers and a greater beneficial step for PC gamers.

Now, I just need 3 more pieces of the puzzle to fall into place and it's bye bye AAA PC gaming and hello AAA console gaming.
  • Universal support for KB/M in all games.
  • PC like graphical settings (so I can disable motion blur and DOF while also increasing FOV, all things that give me eye strain when playing on a console)
  • Support for 60 FPS in all games (doesn't mean there can't be a 30 FPS mode for people that can tolerate it).
Looking at all that, I don't think it's bloody likely, but one can dream. At least WRT KB/M it does seem like Microsoft are interested in increasing support on Xbox for it, but I don't think it'll be something they force, unfortunately.

Regards,
SB

Only with rtx2080 and above so very niche ;)

WTH are you talking about? I'm talking about the benefits of AMD's tech similar to XBSX transcending into the PC space as well. You know, better wattage/TDP designs surrounding AMD desktop GPU products?

WTH are you talking about? I'm talking about the benefits of AMD's tech similar to XBSX transcending into the PC space as well. You know, better wattage/TDP designs surrounding AMD desktop GPU products?
I thought you talking about nextgen games and engines. How do you know there is some tdp improvements ? Df expects tdp record in new xbox.

Df expects tdp record in new xbox.

Yes - for the console space.

Those new thermal / wattage GPU improvements came from who now? Oh yeah, AMD...

Point being, AMD's 2020 desktop GPU products will have improved thermal / wattage designs (inclusive of more CUs), that can easily outpace anything they provided for the console space next year. And more than likely they will have something more beefier (GPU wise) before the next-generation of consoles even arrive.

Yes - for the console space.

Those new thermal / wattage GPU improvements came from who now? Oh yeah, AMD...

Point being, AMD's 2020 desktop GPU products will have improved thermal / wattage designs (inclusive of more CUs), that can easily outpace anything they provided for the console space next year. And more than likely they will have something more beefier (GPU wise) before the next-generation of consoles even arrive.
Maybe(probably couse 7nm+) it's true but I don't know what your source is for this :)

I don't know what your source is for this :)

History.

Seriously, AMD does have to compete in the PC space (i.e., Nvidia, Intel, etc.) as well, regardless of their dealings with Microsoft and Sony. So releasing subpar desktop GPUs than its counterparts (next-generation systems) in 2020 would be quite foolish of them - wouldn't you think?

Point being (once again), whatever thermal / wattage improvements they have provided for Sony and Microsoft across their respective GPU designs will of course show-up within their desktop GPUs. This is nothing new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back