Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

I think that within each console use base, there are large sections of that user base that have chosen that console for different reasons. That's why it's not always one brand dominating, or the cheapest console dominating or the most powerful console dominating. And many people will game on a console for many generations and their priorities and factors will be re-evaluated over time.

I think Sony find the magic formula, they sold more than 100 millions consoles two times* and they are ont the path to sold more than 100 millions for the third time.

The only time they sold less than 100 millions, it was nearly 85 millions with a console too expensive and launching too late...

* One time they sold more than 155 millions consoles

So, I specifically stated substitute goods, not perfectly substitute goods. And I need to be clear, the tone of this response and others following are slightly coming off as elitism.

If we compare corn syrup and maple syrup (and I'm Canadian, so I don't mess with around with my syrups), they are substitute goods. They don't taste anything alike, but if you don't have maple syrup, you're going to use something else and corn syrup is such a substitute. Elitism is basically calling corn syrup not a syrup. Even though you do the same things with them, like pouring them on pancakes. The line of thought here is no different than, someone telling me I've never had Ramen, if I've never been to Tokyo; or that a person would tell me I can't use Kraft Parmesan cheese to make a lasagne; the recipe calls for parmesan cheese, not parmesan cheese from Modena.

The Video Game Awards please look at the groupings, and I didn't make these. So please drop attacking my categorization methods as a position in this argument.
Best Narrative Game
2014:
2015:
2016:
2017:
If you thought my categories were bad I think you need to readdress your categories. These are judges that have spent a lot more time looking at the games and the experiences they bring.

Again. The above category was narrative.
I'm going to do Action/Adventure next:
2014:
2015:
2016:
2017:

There is another category called Action. Gears of War is in there. You and I can have a debate of where God of War 4 will land. It's either going to be Action/Adventure, or straight up Action. There are other categories in which a great deal of many games are mixed together, like Splatoon and Halo 5 for instance.

If you want to know where else there are robot dinosaurs here:
transfocdlcgrimlock-full-body-shot-in-ccjpg-440f05.jpg

When I read this:
For sure HZD is a unique experience that TW3 or AC Origins can't replace...
Tomb raider is comparable to Uncharted but again Uncharted games scored higher than Tomb Raider one... but at least here it is comparable UC4(93) and Rise of the tomb Raider (88).

It's just elitism. I didn't say critically acclaimed games and that's where most of these arguments stem from. Listen you guys might have grown up with consoles, but I grew up playing PC. The concept of exclusives has never ever been a thing for me, until I started with XBO. So yea, I've always gone into these debates with a slanted view of things because everyone holds exclusives as this pedestal of gaming achievement, and the best games and experiences I've always had have been from 3rd party multiplatform games. Halo doesn't compare to my time playing CounterStrike, and it never will. Sea of Thieves can't compare to World of Warcraft and likely no other GaaS ever will. I've read so much stuff on this forum from graphics to narrative etc, where people have been largely inflating the value of these titles so much so because they are exclusives, that every other game out there that isn't exclusive is some second class citizen.

And that's confusing for me. Flat out, I'll be honest. No one talks about movies or TV Shows in this way. No one cares who produces the content of that movie, or show, just as long as the show is good.

So, I specifically stated substitute goods, not perfectly substitute goods. And I need to be clear, the tone of this response and others following are slightly coming off as elitism.

If we compare corn syrup and maple syrup (and I'm Canadian, so I don't mess with around with my syrups), they are substitute goods. They don't taste anything alike, but if you don't have maple syrup, you're going to use something else and corn syrup is such a substitute. Elitism is basically calling corn syrup not a syrup. Even though you do the same things with them, like pouring them on pancakes. The line of thought here is no different than, someone telling me I've never had Ramen, if I've never been to Tokyo; or that a person would tell me I can't use Kraft Parmesan cheese to make a lasagne; the recipe calls for parmesan cheese, not parmesan cheese from Modena.

The Video Game Awards please look at the groupings, and I didn't make these. So please drop attacking my categorization methods as a position in this argument.
Best Narrative Game
2014:
2015:
2016:
2017:
If you thought my categories were bad I think you need to readdress your categories. These are judges that have spent a lot more time looking at the games and the experiences they bring.

Again. The above category was narrative.
I'm going to do Action/Adventure next:
2014:
2015:
2016:
2017:

There is another category called Action. Gears of War is in there. You and I can have a debate of where God of War 4 will land. It's either going to be Action/Adventure, or straight up Action. There are other categories in which a great deal of many games are mixed together, like Splatoon and Halo 5 for instance.

If you want to know where else there are robot dinosaurs here:
transfocdlcgrimlock-full-body-shot-in-ccjpg-440f05.jpg

When I read this:

It's just elitism. I didn't say critically acclaimed games and that's where most of these arguments stem from. Listen you guys might have grown up with consoles, but I grew up playing PC. The concept of exclusives has never ever been a thing for me, until I started with XBO. So yea, I've always gone into these debates with a slanted view of things because everyone holds exclusives as this pedestal of gaming achievement, and the best games and experiences I've always had have been from 3rd party multiplatform games. Halo doesn't compare to my time playing CounterStrike, and it never will. Sea of Thieves can't compare to World of Warcraft and likely no other GaaS ever will. I've read so much stuff on this forum from graphics to narrative etc, where people have been largely inflating the value of these titles so much so because they are exclusives, that every other game out there that isn't exclusive is some second class citizen.

And that's confusing for me. Flat out, I'll be honest. No one talks about movies or TV Shows in this way. No one cares who produces the content of that movie, or show, just as long as the show is good.

Sorry but I only give metacritic score and a game is not only a story if not it is a movie. ;) And I play Inside and the gameplay has nothing to do with Uncharted 4 sorry to say this to you. Or maybe you have no idea of what is a TPS but I doubt it...

And I was not knowing that CD Projekt and Rockstar games are exclusive :)

HZD have robot dinosaur and a very good combat system... Better than the story. The strong point of the game is the combat against machine and after the story and universe...

And God of War is not a TPS like Gears of War but a hack and slash... I know people who hate TPS who like God of War...

Gears of War is like Uncharted 4 a TPS from gameplay point of view Uncharted is more focus on story and the coop and multiplayer of Gears of War is much better than mp in Uncharted franchise.

After like I said I only talk about game with a focus on single player. I don't play MP game out of local play with sport game...

I buy only one game with a focus on online because of the hype and I stop to play after 3 hour, it was Destiny it was not my cup of tea...

Last edited:
It's just elitism.
It's not elitism but an appreciation of the unique properties of that thing that mean it has no substitute. I like Calvin and Hobbes. It is a comic strip. It could be said that if I didn't read Calvin and Hobbes, I could read Garfield or Peanuts, but C&H is the only comic strip I enjoy due to the specifics. I like peanut butter. I could eat almond butter instead, or jam, but none is a real substitute for PB for me and I'd feel I have less eating these alternatives.

It all depends what one likes about something and how attached one is. For some people, their wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend is replaceable by another from many alternatives. For others, despite there being many other alternative options, none will replace the one they are fond of. The specifics of what one person likes about HZD may make no other game a substitute, whereas for someone else it may be equal to many other open world action games.

Suggesting to these folk who are attached to something, like their significant other, or their football team ("stop supporting Man U and support Liverpool instead - they're football teams that wear red"), that they can just replace them with something else that's different, is bound to irk. ;)

For example this generation. I preorder The Order 1886(63) a graphical benchmark but it was a deception an average game, KZ SF(73) is not a great game.

Drive Club(71) was a good game but only after a few patches...

InFamous Second son(80) was the only good launch first party game...

All this game disserve the metacritic score they receive...

I did not preorder HZD because I was afraid and not a fan of Killzone franchise.

Edit: I don't buy a game because it is exclusive but because it is a good game and I don't play graphics if not The Order 1886 would have been a very good game and the game had a decent story too but it is a game...

I did not buy Knack and I play it on a demo kiosk my first PS4 game demo and it was some pile of shit...

It is like if I say Knack is a substitute to Mario Odyssey... One is a bad/average game the other is one of the best game of the generation...

Or saying Killzone is a substitute to Halo.. :D

Edit: if you prefer shooter Halo and Gear or War are two good shooter exclusive to Xbox One and a fan of this game will not buy a PS4 it is logic...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not elitism
It is elitism when you’re so above it all that’s you can’t even properly put it in the same category of game.

If someone says to me, I only like critically acclaimed games. Okay. No problem. But don’t link exclusivity to being critically acclaimed. There is no correlation between exclusivity and being critically acclaimed.

Don’t tell me Dominos pizza isn’t pizza just because you only like gourmet pizza. Its Still pizza. You don’t like it, that’s fine.

I think Sony find the magic formula, they sold more than 100 millions consoles two times* and are they are ont the path to sold more than 100 millions for the third time.

I don't believe in a magic formula. A manufacturer is ideally wanting to be serving what the greater market wants (PlayStation, PS2, PS4) or try to convince the greater market on some new concept (PS3) which may or may not work. But it's not something that is reliably repeatable as market preferences can and do change although from where I sit, the video games market has changed very little compared to markets like the mobile phone space or car space.

So, I specifically stated substitute goods, not perfectly substitute goods.

'Substitute' is an absolute noun, in creative terms it's impossible to have a 'perfect substitute'. Even within a franchise, if you have hankering to play Halo 3 or Mass Effect 2, for a particular reason but you lent to a friend, playing any other Halo or Mass Effect game won't be a perfect substitute. You're playing someything you didn't what to play because what else are you going to do?

Elitism is having a superior view or attitude and being dismissive other views that are contrary to yours. Because I know what I want doesn't make me elitist. When I chose a game, book, movie or TV show it's because that is what tickles my fancy at that particular time. Occasionally, very occasionally, I'll be in one of those moods where I don't care but that's pretty rare.

Speaking for myself, I'm not "attacking" your categorisation, I'm saying for that me none of what you presented as substitutes work for me. I didn't follow any of your point about games put up for narrative awards. I've not played all those games but the ones I have (or know) are all heavy on narrative. The narrative awards are there to recognise good story-telling in videogames, it's not - as I believe you think - for games where narrative is that game's raison d'être.

It's just elitism.

It's not elitism. Based on your posts you're somebody who can kill time with something, rather than something specific. This principle isn't even about exclusives. Again, if you wake up and think "I really want to play Halo 2" but it's not accessible, you'll probably play something you didn't have wake up wanting to play. It's called making do.

Some of us, don't want to do that. Or do as little as possible.

Again, you're mentally tying this to exclusivity when it's not. But the preferences and/or desires for something specific you claim not to understand, exist very much in other creative fields. If you're really looking forward to the next episode of Game of Thrones episode, there is no damn substitute for that. :nope: Or the book. Finish the fucking books, man!!! :devilish:

SUBSTITUTE = NOT THAT THING YOU WANTED. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is elitism when you’re so above it all that’s you can’t even properly put it in the same category of game.

If someone says to me, I only like critically acclaimed games. Okay. No problem. But don’t link exclusivity to being critically acclaimed. There is no correlation between exclusivity and being critically acclaimed.

Don’t tell me Dominos pizza isn’t pizza just because you only like gourmet pizza. Its Still pizza. You don’t like it, that’s fine.

Because all exclusive game are critically acclaimed... :D Knack, Drive Club, Ryse, The Order 1886, Killzone Shadow Fall... For sure they are the darling of the critics...

A game is critically acclaimed when it is good like Forza Horizon 3 the best car game...

Edit: After a 70+ is often ok if you like the genre I envy only one game to Xbox it is Sunset Overdrive(81) done by one of my favourite studio Insomniac and probably Forza Horizon 3...

And I have my doubt on exclusive game, I am not overhyped by Day's gone for example and I hope they will improve the animation of the player far from a N game*... I have confidence to Sucker Punch and I think Ghost of Tsushima will be good... Death Standing because it is Kojima Productions. TLOU 2, Naughty Dog have all my confidence...

* I hope they will surprise me. I like the concept of the game and I hope the execution will be good...

Last edited:

No, you're saying that anybody who has a view contrary to you own is elitist. Which ironically is one of the tells of elitist behaviour. That's pretty meta.

You're also hopelessly clinging to this concept of games in some category as being equal substitutes for other games in the same category, while seemingly thinking some of us are arguing semantics about which categories games should fall in. I'm not, nor is Shifty as far as I can tell.

To me this demonstrates that you're not getting it at all.:no: This is a concept unrelated to exclusives.

I don't believe in a magic formula. A manufacturer is ideally wanting to be serving what the greater market wants (PlayStation, PS2, PS4) or try to convince the greater market on some new concept (PS3) which may or may not work. But it's not something that is reliably repeatable as market preferences can and do change although from where I sit, the video games market has changed very little compared to markets like the mobile phone space or car space.

'Substitute' is an absolute noun, in creative terms it's impossible to have a 'perfect substitute'. Even within a franchise, if you have hankering to play Halo 3 or Mass Effect 2, for a particular reason but you lent to a friend, playing any other Halo or Mass Effect game won't be a perfect substitute. You're playing someything you didn't what to play because what else are you going to do?

Elitism is having a superior view or attitude and being dismissive other views that are contrary to yours. Because I know what I want doesn't make me elitist. When I chose a game, book, movie or TV show it's because that is what tickles my fancy at that particular time. Occasionally, very occasionally, I'll be in one of those moods where I don't care but that's pretty rare.

Speaking for myself, I'm not "attacking" your categorisation, I'm saying for that me none of what you presented as substitutes work for me. I didn't follow any of your point about games put up for narrative awards. I've not played all those games but the ones I have (or know) are all heavy on narrative. ]Th narrative awards are there to recognise good story-telling in videogames, it's not - as I believe you think - for games where narrative is that game's raison d'être.

It's not elitism. Based on your posts you're somebody who can kill time with something, rather than something specific. This principle isn't even about exclusives. Again, if you wake up and think "I really want to play Halo 2" but it's not accessible, you'll probably play something you didn't have wake up wanting to play. It's called making do.

Some of us, don't want to do that. Or do as little as possible.

Again, you're mentally tying this to exclusivity when it's not. But the preferences and/or desires for something specific you claim not to understand, exist very much in other creative fields. If you're really looking forward to the next episode of Game of Thrones episode, there is no damn substitute for that. :nope: Or the book. Finish the fucking books, man!!! :devilish:

SUBSTITUTE = NOT THAT THING YOU WANTED. :no:

It is a ridiculous common conception that because a game has good story telling it is not a game. For example TLOU is a very good game out the story...

Last edited:
I think you're drawing a correlation between the viewpoints expressed and the combination with exclusivity that doesn't exist. The argument is that some products have no substitute, be they exclusive or not. Whether HZD is exclusive or cross-platform, fans of the game won't find a true substitute in any other game.

Can we make the argument personal? Is there any game that you absolutely adore? What about your coop time with SoT? Let's say one night you go to play SoT and instead you're only offered Uncharted coop or Diablo 3 coop. Would you consider those adequate substitutes? Or have you a football/hockey/beach volleyball team you support? Or anything? That if someone denied you access to that thing and instead offered some alternative substitute, you'd be grumpy?

If not, you live a very mellow life! If so, you should be able to see how those who love certain games (be they exclusive or not) don't feel there are substitutes. It's not elitism but having a personal sense of taste as to what one likes and doesn't. Some of us are extremely fussy! Using the football analogy (at least this discussion has been good for pushing the boundaries of discussive similie!), Chelsea and Spurs are both categorised as football teams, but neither is a substitute for the fans of the other. HZD is to Witcher 3 as Chelsea is to Spurs, in the same category and yet no substitute.

The substitute thing is a nonsense to me... when you want to see a movie, do you really say to yourself that you're going to see Transformers because you can't see Pacific Rim ?

Let's be serious, when you really want something, there's no real substitute but just a compromise which is an attenuate frustration and nothing more.

It is like if I say Knack is a substitute to Mario Odyssey... One is a bad/average game the other is one of the best game of the generation...

And even if both were good, each game is unique by defnition.

The only category where this argument may work is in simulation games because they tend to be extremely similar.

And even if both were good, each game is unique by defnition.

The only category where this argument may work is in simulation games because they tend to be extremely similar.

Yes but out of this the quality of a game is important... If two games are 3d platformer(Knack is more a brawler) and one is good and the other not. The bad one will not be a substitute to the good one...

Yes but out of this the quality of a game is important... If two games are 3d platformer(Knack is more a brawler) and one is good and the other not. The bad one will not be a substitute to the good one...

And even if both are good, most people will still want both because each game is unique.

I mean, even a sequel is considered as sufficiently unique by most gamers. Otherwise, nobody would buy the next GTA...

I already finished Witcher 3. I won't repurchase Witcher 3 because I can't buy HZD.

PS4 just goes to 11. It's one more. It goes one higher.

Can we make the argument personal? Is there any game that you absolutely adore? What about your coop time with SoT? Let's say one night you go to play SoT and instead you're only offered Uncharted coop or Diablo 3 coop
This is exactly what I would be okay with. I do it all the time. Ive stopped playing SoT to play The Division. I’ll go back to Destiny 2 as well despite how much people hate it. And later back to SoT. Depends on what I want to do. Availability is the key here.

I do the the same thing with board games, with video games, with sports. With food. There's always seems to be an appropriate game for the appropriate situation. If I have a hankering to find loot in a coop manner or tinker with builds, Division, destiny, diablo would all fit that need it just depends on what my buddies want to play. If i have no buddies online that want to play, then I'll play a single player game with loot and tinker with builds that way. If I have no desire for tinkering or loot and just want to focus on purely gameplay, I have games for that too.

My limits really comes down to, how much time I have available to play. and if I'm looking for a single player action adventure game, I pull up tons of different 3P games that would satiate that desire, I could never finish all the 3P titles that come out each year, even critically acclaimed ones. There's just not enough time. I don't know what HZD plays like, and that's fair. But I'm not judging a whole group of people by their desire to not play that which is, exclusively unattainable, which is how this whole argument began in the first place.

This is exactly what I would be okay with. I do it all the time. Ive stopped playing SoT to play The Division. I’ll go back to Destiny 2 as well despite how much people hate it. And later back to SoT. Depends on what I want to do. Availability is the key here.
You've missed half the post. Is there literally nothing in your life that you can't do without? Not a single thing or person you consider irreplaceable? If not, you can't comprehend how others can not find Product B a replacement for Product A. That doesn't make those people elitist! ;)

And some wont spend another $300 for a new console just to because they cant play a $60 game.

I agree this is why I did not buy a Xbox One when Sunset Overdrive was released...

And they will not buy a PS4 if they are mainly MP or coop gamers... I never said that PS4 is for everyone or exclusive are important for everyone... It is just the discussion was about the importance of exclusives it seems reading PAL chart or Japanese charts it helps and maybe it is a coincidence but the most sold console is the one with the most exclusives after I don't think it is the main reason, brand and price comes first imo and power comes after exclusives I think it is not an important factor only for a part of Xbox core gamer and PC player... Some continue to choose a Xbox One before a PS4 and it was not as powerful as the PS4... The choice of friend is probably more important than power too...

Price was the reason of lost marketshare for Sony to Xbox with the PS3...

And brand was the reason they beat Microsoft by a huge margin in continental Europe with a failed launch with PS3...

Last edited:
Back