The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is difference?

From his letter:

At the beginning of the year I warned that Vega would be hard. At the time, some folks didn’t believe me. Now many of you understand what I said. Vega was indeed hard on many, and my sincere heartfelt thanks to all of you who endured the Vega journey with me. Vega was personally hard on me as well and I used up a lot of family credits during this journey. I have decided to take a time-off in Q4 to spend time with my family. I have been contemplating this for a while now and there was never a good time to do this. Lisa and I agreed that Q4 is better than 2018, before the next wave of product excitement.

Did he really wrote that? :oops:
Welll, it would seem he did! Also, engineers are also people. They need rest and relaxation just like everyone else. :)

I'm all for a fresher, happier Raja returning after having recharged his batteries.

Welll, it would seem he did! Also, engineers are also people. They need rest and relaxation just like everyone else. :)

I'm all for a fresher, happier Raja returning after having recharged his batteries.
He wrote that to be a team player and to not make waves, this wasn't his choice. There is some shit going down in AMD, I feel it in my bones and I"m surrounded by birds with wings of golden light who are whispering things too me.....BAD THINGS! :(

He wrote that to be a team player and to not make waves, this wasn't his choice. There is some shit going down in AMD, I feel it in my bones and I"m surrounded by birds with wings of golden light who are whispering things too me.....BAD THINGS! :(
What if the bolded bits aren't talking about the same family? The first being AMD family and the second his actual one?

I'd say you're overstretching with that 1st and 2nd family analogy, but if you say you have solid info stating otherwise then you might be right.

Well, I would think that Raja was "forced" to work with GCN, an architecture that was not initially designed by him (I think?), so its not an ideal situation for him to be able to do the best he can.

From Raja's email " As we enter 2018, I will be shifting my focus more toward architecting and realizing this vision and rebalancing my operational responsibilities."

Sounds like he will have more of an engineering role and less management responsibilities.

In some ways and to some people that could be considered a demotion. The important thing to consider, however, is whether it is Raja who wants to do this or whether it's AMD forcing him into a non-upper managerial role because they aren't happy with how he has managed things. It could be either. I could see an engineer moving up into an upper management position becoming unhappy and wanting to work more closely with the hardware and hardware teams. Likewise with said engineer moving up and then ruffling too many feathers with the CEO/President/Board of Directors/etc.

Regards,
SB

From Raja's email " As we enter 2018, I will be shifting my focus more toward architecting and realizing this vision and rebalancing my operational responsibilities."

Sounds like he will have more of an engineering role and less management responsibilities.
Why wasn't it like this in first place? I mean if you hire one of the most famous engineers is to make him engineer for you not to place him in a management position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back