The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is shown there? From their website, I think it is this:
„This graph counts the baselines submitted to us during these time period and therefore is representative of CPUs in use rather than CPUs purchased.“
So IMHO it is rather CPUs being benchmarked & their results submitted during the respective time period. You can draw your own conclusions as to what this says. I for one do not benchmark my home system on a daily (or monthly or even quarterly) basis, when I do not change it's config.

Yep, clearly not representative of sales, it just shows a huge uptick in enthusiast interest in AMD. It could also be that Ryzen users benchmark their systems 5 times a day to tune memory settings, however.

Wouldn't machines be uniquely identified anyway ? (meaning an increase of AMD hardware benchmarked out there, but ignoring tuning)

They state it quite clearly:
„This graph counts the baselines submitted to us during these time period and therefore is representative of CPUs in use rather than CPUs purchased.“
I'll see if i get different result ids from two consecutive baseline runs.
edit:
After the first run, they at least warn that duplicate benchmark results will be deleted. So far so good.
edit 2: Without deliberate manual intervention, passmark seems to be allowing only one result per machine.

Yep, clearly not representative of sales, it just shows a huge uptick in enthusiast interest in AMD. It could also be that Ryzen users benchmark their systems 5 times a day to tune memory settings, however.
Maybe not this exactly, but newly bought machines should have a higher than average likelihood of being benchmarked at all.

Last edited:
I think the wording on the website is extremely awkward as it almost implies an installment base measure whereas in reality it's a time-constrained unit share sample that many or many not be statistically significant depending on the number of submissions vs total sales volume.

I think the wording on the website is extremely awkward as it almost implies an installment base measure whereas in reality it's a time-constrained unit share sample that many or many not be statistically significant depending on the number of submissions vs total sales volume.

It's basically as relevant as the Steam survey. IE - representative of the market segment that it is sampling. However, unlike the Steam survey, it's sampling all users of the platform versus a random sampling of users.

Regards,
SB

I think there is an important distinction between the two: in the case of Steam Survey the population is the entire user base and the population is sampled regardless of recent their system is. In the case of a benchmark suite, there is a very strong self-selection towards new/significantly modified system due to the very purpose of the tool. Hence, while in theory the Steam survey should be fairly representative of the steam user population and by extension the general PC gaming installment user base, PassMark submissions would much more closely track recently purchased systems (unit market share).

I think there is an important distinction between the two: in the case of Steam Survey the population is the entire user base and the population is sampled regardless of recent their system is. In the case of a benchmark suite, there is a very strong self-selection towards new/significantly modified system due to the very purpose of the tool.

None of what you said there contradicts what I said. :p IE - it's accurate for the platform.

Hence, while in theory the Steam survey should be fairly representative of the steam user population and by extension the general PC gaming installment user base, PassMark submissions would much more closely track recently purchased systems (unit market share).

Not quite, but close. Steam is representative of the Steam user base. It is loosely representative of the overall general PC gaming user base as long as you narrowly define that user base.

IE - many MMO's (with million+ active user bases) aren't represented on Steam. Steam also isn't representative of PC gamers that game through browsers. It also isn't well represented in China (Tencent still dominates game distribution there) or most other Asian countries. South Korea has an extremely large PC gaming user base, the largest after China for the Asian region and larger than almost all European countries, but has an almost negligible presence in Steam. Those are just a few examples.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that there was a time when Steam was pretty accurate for the general Western PC gaming user base. But that was made less accurate with their entry into the Asian markets, especially China with it's potentially massive influx of PC users.

Now it sits somewhere between representing the general PC gaming user base (world wide) and Western PC gaming user base (NA, Europe, Australia). Not entirely accurate to either, but close enough that it's still useable.

Regards,
SB

Ryzen Rising Slower Than Reports
There is no doubt in my mind that with the release of Ryzen AMD is gaining market share and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. But some of the conclusions based on Passmark data are simply ill informed and serve only to raise expectations above reason for AMD ahead of its second quarter financial report.

The PC market buys roughly 75 million units per quarter. For AMD to capture 10% of that in a single quarter, it would need to ship and sell nearly eight million more units from April through June than it did in January through March. Correspondingly, Intel would be shipping that many fewer processors.

If Intel realized that it suddenly lost eight million processor sales at a rough average selling price of $150, it would be reporting to shareholders a sudden billion-plus dollar revenue drop. Last quarter Intel’s Client Computing Group reported $8 billion in revenue. The drop some say Passmark indicates would be equivalent to more than a 12.5% decline.

Benchmark submissions from Passmark are a positive data point for AMD. More benchmarks being run is a concrete indicator of improved sales. But the assumptions being made by many in the media, and spread to the sometimes-gullible financial market, are dramatically exaggerated. This narrative is bad for both Intel and AMD, so it is best to try to get the story straight.
http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1331989&_mc=RSS_EET_EDT

Great Quarter By AMD:

Advanced Micro Devices reports Q2 earnings with EPS and revenue beats.

Computing and Graphics segment sales up 51% on the year to $659M and 24% sequentially. Client and GPU ASPs were both up on the year, and operating income returns to the green with $7M compared to last year’s $81M loss. Improvements were due to pricing and product mix.

Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom segment sales down 5% to $563 due to lower semi-custom SoC sales. Operating income dropped from last year’s $84M to $42M due to lower sales and higher R^D investments in datacenters.

Other segment also had an operating loss increase from $11M last year to $24M due to stock-based compensation charges and a $7M restructuring credit.

AMD ended the quarter with $844M in cash and equivalents.

Q3 guidance: revenue up 20% to 26% sequentially with the midpoint at about 15% year-over-year, which would put the actual number around $1.5B compared to the $1.39B consensus.

AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers
Earlier on Windows 8.1 32-bit support was already halted, and we as well noticed that there has not been a 8.1 64-bit driver available ever since yesterday either. I just asked AMD to see what is going on there, and it is confirmed that there will no longer be any new Windows 8.1 drivers for Radeon graphics cards. The install base is just too small ...
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-halts-support-for-windows-8-1-with-consumer-radeon-drivers.html

Today AMD announces an alternative to VSync called Enhanced Sync. This is an option for those who do not own a FreeSync monitor, but still prefer lower latency in exchange for tearing. Enhanced Sync was developed to minimize tearing and improve the latency.

AMD provided a chart to illustrate when Enhanced Sync will be helpful. It won’t eliminate tearing, but it will improve the responsiveness for high FPS gaming.

AMD’s Enhanced Sync is a direct response to NVIDIA’s FastSync technology.
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-enhanced-sync

Last edited:
AMD 8-K filing from Aug 7th

On August 1, 2017, the Compensation and Leadership Resources Committee (“Committee”) of the Board of Directors of
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (the “Company”) approved equity awards to each of the named executive officers (as set forth in the
Company’s most recent proxy statement filed on March 8, 2017) having the following target award values (“Target Value”):

Name and Title Target Value
Devinder Kumar, Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer $2,000,000
James R. Anderson, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Computing and Graphics Business Group $2,000,000
Forrest E. Norrod, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Enterprise, Embedded and Semi-Custom Business Group $2,000,000
Mark D. Papermaster, Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President, Technology and Engineering $2,250,000
On August 2, 2017, the Board of Directors approved an equity award to Dr. Lisa T. Su having the following Target Value:

Name and Title Target Value
Lisa T. Su, President and Chief Executive Officer $8,000,000​

AMD Operations executives:

Lisa Su
Chekib Akrout
Jim Anderson
Raja Koduri
Mark Papermaster
Forrest Norrod
Devinder Kumar

Poor Raja, maybe he'll get a bonus with Navi. I guess they weren't convinced by Vega FE as fulfilling his obligations?

What about Raja? Hell, what about Chris Hook, Evan Groenke, Terry Makedon, Jim Prior, etc?!? I'd like to think they give out some form of bonus to all their employees when they're doing well and not just the top dogs. :devilish:

I think its too early to celebrate. AMD is looking the light at the end of the tunnel but its not out of it by any means, they still need to run a big distance in order to get out of it. Now they have the vehicle (vehicles(or part of them since the GPU is still half working)) to make that run but they still need to drive it. If I were lisa I would hold the regards and all that money to invest more into R&D the GPU division clearly need more money and they need to make it work as good as the rest if they want to really start getting out of that long long tunnel they are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back