PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that half the others CUs were unavailable because most PS4 games were using the existing shaders is a specific way (because it's more efficient ?). But that the boost mode should theoretically unlock the others CU on games using the CUs in a general 'unified' way.

IRC there are some games that showed impressive framerate improvement in some passages that couldn't be explained by the 31% CPU boost alone, particularly Battlefield 4:

Battlefield 4: >100% framerate improvement in some cases during conquest mode
Project cars: 38% framerate improvement during rain
The talos principle: often 35% framerate improvement
It's difficult to feed a GPU and keep it fully saturated. If the CPU is falling behind, everything else also falls behind with it. it's entirely possible that the 31% CPU boost could help out a lot more than you think.

As I understood, boost mode really unlocks second half of gpu, not just ups the clock.

So maybe boost mode does indeed deliver all the CPU and possibly the memory bandwidth improvements inherent in the PS4 Pro hardware design, but the more modest boost to GPU power is curious - it seems that boost mode accesses the extra frequency but not the Pro's 18 additional compute units. We went to Sony with our theory, and while technical details in its reply are sparse, here's the statement we received back.

"Boost Mode has been designed to provide better performance for those legacy titles that have not been patched to take advantage of the PS4 Pro's faster CPU and its faster and double-sized GPU," Sony says. "This can provide a noticeable frame-rate boost to some games with variable frame-rate, and can provide frame-rate stability for games that are programmed to run at 30Hz or 60Hz.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's difficult to feed a GPU and keep it fully saturated. If the CPU is falling behind, everything else also falls behind with it. it's entirely possible that the 31% CPU boost could help out a lot more than you think.
The BF4 result @ 18:18 in the video is certainly curious. It just tanks as soon as the person gets around the corner - not sure if there's some loading problem though - a couple turns left and right of the camera and you can see some geometry popping on PS4 on the billboard displays. Unfortunately, the camera isn't 100% replicated in the 4Pro.

The other thing that might not be non-linear is the DCC/bandwidth situation, but I don't know how that would change things along with increased internal bus speeds (Onion/Garlic) where external bus contention is also concerned. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As I understood, boost mode really unlocks second half of gpu, not just ups the clock.
My interpretation of the articles testing it (also some forum posts I cannot verify), is that the GPU and CPU clocks are allowed to hit the raised clocks of the full mode.

From the following: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/14499188/ps4-pro-boost-mode-firmware-4-50

Update: A Sony representative confirmed to Polygon that Boost Mode is part of the PS4’s v4.50 firmware update. Here’s how the company describes the feature:

Boost Mode lets PS4 Pro run at a higher GPU and CPU clock speed for smoother gameplay on some PS4 games that were released before the launch of PS4 Pro (and has not been updated to support PS4 Pro).
Games that have a variable frame rate may benefit from a higher frame rate, and load times may be shorter in some games too.

Also apparently the 2.1Ghz number is a number rounded by Digital foundry. The precise number would be 2.13ghz according to their initial reveal based on the tech session with Mark Cerny in the left panel "what Mark Cerny told us about PS4 Pro" in the article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

1.6 to 2.13 actually gives a 33.125% improvement which would better explain the ~35% improvement number we get in some games.

So even Guerilla with horizon said they did not much tap the power of the ps4 pro, what will be the first game to really use it, if any ?
Spiderman ? GTS ?

So even Guerilla with horizon said they did not much tap the power of the ps4 pro, what will be the first game to really use it, if any ?
Spiderman ? GTS ?
Considering how long it took to tap the power of PS4, this could be a while.

Also apparently the 2.1Ghz number is a number rounded by Digital foundry.

Rounding isn't something invented by Digital Foundry. Mark Cerny used that rounding himself in the interview.

Mark Cerny said "That meant staying with eight Jaguar cores for the CPU and pushing the frequency as high as it would go on the new process technology, which turned out to be 2.1GHz. It's about 30 per cent higher than the 1.6GHz in the existing model."

Oh. Shit. Mark Cerny rounded down the CPU clock correctly and in a manner fitting with convention because he works for Digital Foundry!?

Digital Foundry actually gave the CPU speed as 2.13 GHz in the their " At a glance: what Mark Cerny told us about PS4 Pro" box intended for lazy pleb readers to just get the basics. Elsewhere, they used the same figure Cerny Himself used: 2.1 ghz.

Spiderman ? GTS ?

TLOU2, Death Stranding...

EDIT: And I hope for PS5, Sony will pay attention to the noise made by the console because on Kojima productions benchmark the PS4 PRo is a bit more noisy than the og PS4...

And to think people have the audacity to say the next generation will barely look any better.

It also made me hope (again) that Plastic brings Datura to PSVR.

1080p? We rarely see 1080p Pro-optimized games. Devs use the stronger hardware to increase rez/framerate of base PS4 games.

Taking this demo to gauge next gen visuals, if assuming PS5 is 12 tf then 4.2 x 2 = 8.4, 12- 8.4 = 3.6. I can see next gen Uncharted running with this quality using 4k CBR (twice of Pro's power 8.4 tf) with the left over (3.6 tf) on character models, set pieces and NPCs etc. Of course the additional Ram, CPU grunt, memory bandwidth and Navi efficiency should aid greatly for extra effects and texture resolution. I think I'll be somewhat content if that's the case. Then PS5 Pro should easily push it up to native 4k a few years down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back