AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

The same person has previously created fake Vega benches that were shown to be fake. Also, there are some discrepancies regarding the CPU identification string.

I don't believe that this screenshot is real.
oh really? you dont believe someone called "AMD FANBOY" will be honest and objective? :D

Ah yes, a new day a new Ryzen related post! This one is fairly tasty and interesting though as website coolaler is listing the complete line up of AMD Ryzen processors, including names.

Previously we have talked about the R7, R5 and R3 denominators comparable to Core i3, i5 and i7 for the Ryzen product range. From what Coolaler (with an unknown source I would like to add) is listing there will be 17 models released 8C/16T, 6C/12T, 4C/8T, 4C/4T yet weirdly enough, not a 8C/8T. And yes that reads as the number of cores and threads.

AMD R7 is the 8C/16T series with 5 models: R7 1800X, R7 PRO 1800, R7 1700X, R7 1700, R7 PRO 1700 we guess is X is the identifier for unlocked.
The more mainstream AMD R5 range will see 6C12T and 4C8T processors. Two of the four from a total of 8 models, including R5 1600X, R5 PRO 1600, R5 1500, R5 PRO 1500, R5 1400X, R5 PRO 1400, R5 1300, R5 PRO 1300, you can see an X Version for the 1600 and 1400. Baseclocks will start at 3.2GHz up-to 3.5GHz, with unspecified Turbo frequencies.

Then there is the more entry level AMD R3 range with is 4C4T. Four are the R3 1200X, R3 PRO 1200, R3 1100, R3 PRO 1100, there is one X version, the base clock is 3.1 ~ 3.4GHz with unspecified turbos. Not bad for entry level processors starting at quad core. It does confirm the fact that there will not be any dual-core processors.

Processor spec table at link:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-r7r5-and-r3-processor-line-up-listed.html

Edit:
5u45dg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xEx
Using Rx like they do with their graphics cards is going to be very confusing IMO.

what additional functions ?
Since you're too lazy to click a link and read 1 paragraph

Basically this opens up all processor instruction sets for Window 7, as long as they are compatible with the OS of course similar to what Kaby Lake had with HEVC / 10-bit encoding driver support. Microsoft is not supporting Intel’s latest Kaby Lake range of CPUs on any OS below Windows 10, kind of weird right? We're not sure how that will detail itself in realtion to Ryzen as Microsoft clearly stated not to support new processors on older operating systems.

Can I just enter a gratuitous "dgitalwanderer is even stupider than he thinks he is" moment to this?

I've been hearing about a release date of 2/3/17 for so long now in the back alleys and dark places on the net that I just KNEW it was the release date and I'd been holding out until then, figured out the other day that the people who were talking to me used a different date format than me...so to me I thought Feb 3rd when it's actually March 2nd. :(

I'm only dying on the inside. <sigh>

"Basically this opens up all processor instruction sets for Window 7, "
isnt that the job of the compiler you write a program that uses the instructions of the cpu or you instruct the compiler to target a certain cpu and it generates the relevent code
Ive never installed a driver for a cpu cpu's dont hide their internal instructions the way gpu makers do by putting an api in the middle

"Basically this opens up all processor instruction sets for Window 7, "
isnt that the job of the compiler you write a program that uses the instructions of the cpu
Ive never installed a driver for a cpu
When I bought my first SSE-enabled CPU, I had to install drivers to experiment with the new instructions. (SSE instructions add registers, which must be virtualized by the OS, which require changes to kernel context switching before they work.)

Think about the (many) virtualization features that have rolled out over the years, or the ever-changing variety of performance counters - which tend to be CPU and vendor specific.

Heard about Intel MPX in Skylake? Fascinating new instructions. You'll need OS support, of course... Remember when NX was new? Same thing.

Your OS is packed full of x86 CPU model-specific drivers, and every new model adds more features.

Huh? if I compile my sse/avx code in a native language (e.g C++) I need OS support? I think you're mistaken or your wording is imprecise. I concede that the NX & virtualization stuff is a different story

Huh? if I compile my sse/avx code in a native language (e.g C++) I need OS support?
Yes, this is correct. You may be taking for granted that SSE and AVX context switching have had OS support for a while.

Have you tried to use AVX on Windows XP? It doesn't work. SSE on Windows 95? Nope. MMX instructions on Windows 3.1? Same problem.

Older OSes could not support these instructions because they introduce new register state. How could Windows XP know to save and restore AVX registers during context switches when they hadn't been invented yet? Answer: It just didn't.

You can Google Windows XP AVX Support if you want more information about this limitation.

avx is a gpu instruction isnt it
in grid 2 if you have a avx capable cpu but run the game on a discreet gpu you cant enable avx
its only available if you use the hd 5200 (or whatever its called)

Last edited:
avx is a gpu instruction isnt it

Yes, but the instructions work with internal processor resources which would be trashed if they are not saved when the OS yields the processor to another application.

in grid 2 if you have a avx capable cpu but run the game on a discreet gpu you cant enable avx
its only available if you use the hd 5200 (or whatever its called)

The way you are saying it, can't be correct. An algorithm can be programmed for multiple distinct architectures. AVX and dGPU are in no way mutually exclusive, which means you can always opt to use AVX when it's available, but it might not be the fastest. In the case of Grid 2 it's possible that on the slower intel iGPUs it's actually faster to run the stuff on the CPU, while for other configurations it's faster to run it on the GPU. But this is not because it's not possible the other way around.

Back