Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

I thought they posted a correction, I can't find it, did I imagine it?
There was another thread, they posted an answer to calm the masses. I think they are still going with 4K+better looking than XBO. After all we've discussed here, I think that's a sensible direction. I don't believe MS would encourage 6TF towards 1080p and purposely bring upon an entirely new generation of graphical fidelity; that would be considered Scorpio exclusives imo. Then again, W3 at 1080p Ultra is 60fps on a 980 TI, so perhaps my point is moot.

edit: 980 TI!

Last edited:
I don't believe MS would encourage 6TF towards 1080p and purposely bring upon an entirely new generation of graphical fidelity; that would be considered Scorpio exclusives imo.
on monster triple titan pc's, we don't say a game is exclusive because it looks better. You can still see it's the same game, so I can't agree with you there.
4k with 4k assets, 1440p with better effects, I think the devs will choose which is best for their game given the usual restrictions of time, cost, effort.
but at the minimum Scorpio is being designed to be able to play xo games at same fidelity at 4k.

You will definitely see a difference between XB1 and Scorpio. Its inevitable. Take the upcoming Battlefield 1 or the Battlefield that might come out next year. They run at 720p60fps on XB1. It might run at 4k60fps or some other resolution that is much higher than the one on XB1. Either way you get massively better image quality on a 1080p screen with Scorpio than if you run it on XB1. What Phil said makes sense as they are launching the X1S. You don't expect him to say otherwise. When the time comes you certainly won't need Phil to tell you which game looks better as it will be readily apparent.

You will definitely see a difference between XB1 and Scorpio. Its inevitable. Take the upcoming Battlefield 1 or the Battlefield that might come out next year. They run at 720p60fps on XB1. It might run at 4k60fps or some other resolution that is much higher than the one on XB1. Either way you get massively better image quality on a 1080p screen with Scorpio than if you run it on XB1. What Phil said makes sense as they are launching the X1S. You don't expect him to say otherwise. When the time comes you certainly won't need Phil to tell you which game looks better as it will be readily apparent.

You might want to manage those expectations! I personally think Scorpio is likely a little short of power for true 4K60 unless there's some other cut-backs or upgrades we don't know about...I mean, we know that it's ~4x the power of XBO (best case scenario because not everything is x4) so if the XBO was doing 1080p @ 60fps then it would be a possibility...but yes, I imagine the difference XBO to Scorpio will be clear...it's around half the difference X360 to XBO so a very nice upgrade.

You might want to manage those expectations! I personally think Scorpio is likely a little short of power for true 4K60 unless there's some other cut-backs or upgrades we don't know about...I mean, we know that it's ~4x the power of XBO (best case scenario because not everything is x4) so if the XBO was doing 1080p @ 60fps then it would be a possibility...but yes, I imagine the difference XBO to Scorpio will be clear...it's around half the difference X360 to XBO so a very nice upgrade.
Yea 4K@60 might be a stretch but in sure if they wanted to they could figure it out. Like dropping AA all together. We need to be careful not to use benchmarking setups as being in-game setups.

Neither console today regardless of resolution runs ultra anything.

Benchmarking setups are specifically designed to demolish cards to really separate and showcase their value. Some of the features that are enabled on benchmarking "ultra" will have seriously more painful load as resolution increases than others.

So there is that to consider. Something I should consider as well, cause I can't seem to pull the trigger on these new pascals. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said it might before adding "or some other resolution that is higher than on XB1". Anyway, I have maintained that 4k on consoles will boil down to how the game is designed and or at what quality a dev. might want to set to hit it.

Yea 4K@60 might be a stretch but in sure if they wanted to they could figure it out. Like dropping AA all together. We need to be careful not to use benchmarking setups as being in-game setups.

Neither console today regardless of resolution runs ultra anything.

Benchmarking setups are specifically designed to demolish cards to really separate and showcase their value. Some of the features that are enabled on benchmarking "ultra" will have seriously more painful load as resolution increases than others.

So there is that to consider. Something I should consider as well, cause I can't seem to pull the trigger on these new pascals. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree. Personally I am more excited about the improvements to IQ and presumably, framerate/framerate stability. I think Forza 7 will look amazing at 4k.

Everything doesn't need to be 4x. Somethings won't scale linearly nor do they need to.

No but Dr Evil said it'll be similar to X360 to XBO which it won't be. Texture improvement will not be massively different and if the power is going into resolution then I don't think we'll be seeing much improvements in the game effects. I was simply trying to manage expectations...because it won't be like X360 to XBO...unless MS are holding details back to change things.

Those who expect a jump as big as a 360 to XB1 will suffer, by far, the second biggest disappointment in the history of gaming.

No but Dr Evil said it'll be similar to X360 to XBO which it won't be. Texture improvement will not be massively different and if the power is going into resolution then I don't think we'll be seeing much improvements in the game effects. I was simply trying to manage expectations...because it won't be like X360 to XBO...unless MS are holding details back to change things.
Yeah, that much is true. Thought it was about its ability to hit 4k, for that it doesn't need everything to scale linearly.

I was specifically only talking about flops and thought you were as well, when you claimed that the jump will be about half of what it was before. I thought you had some metric behind that statement, but it was just your opinion? The fact is that in terms of processing power, the jump will be almost as big and if it comes with 12GB or RAM with similar OS requirements, the boost in memory will be quite nice too.

Trying to put a X times number on a subjective perceived difference is pointless.

4K@60 fps won't be a problem. As you mentioned it's highly unlikely that the console will be doing Ultra graphics presets (what most PC benchmarks use). Hell, currently most console versions don't even use the High preset. At console presets, GTA V, for example quite easily runs at 4K60 on a variety of hardware.

At 4k on a 40" we still really need full screen antialiasing? It's like having free auto-supersampling

You'll still need some form of AA. In still shots, it may or may not be required depending on the rendering artifacts, but in motion artifacts that weren't noticeable on a still shot will be greatly magnified. For example specular aliasing in motion will still be quite visible. Stairs and the crawling jaggies of their edges will be quite visible as well. Same applies for high contrast edges. It'll be less magnified at 4k versus 2k, but it'll still be noticeable.

One benefit of 4K versus 2K, however, is that you can likely make do with cheaper forms of AA that induce some amount of blurring. At 4K the "blur" will occupy so little of your actual vision that it may become almost imperceptible. So while a relatively blurry AA solution will be quite noticeably blurry at 2k, it may not be noticeably blurry at 4k.

Regards,
SB

Back