Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

The way they're talking though, I thought the idea was many consider there will never be another clean break "next gen"? I saw this news story recently how a news reporter asked Yoshida about PS5 and he kind of corrected the guy that there's no guarantee there will be a PS5 (though, execs have been threatening this for about 40 years to be fair, basically since games were invented).

I assume consoles will be similar to smartphones, you can generally rely on your iPhone being supported for a minimum of 4 years after launch, after which it may not be supported at all or you may get reduced feature support in updates. Will Microsoft and Sony cut support for base PS4 and XBO once Neo and Scorpio's successors release or will consoles become like PCs in that some games will still run on the old hardware and other games will not?

Potentially this is the worst of the console world and the worst of the messy PC development world. Everybody, including Microsoft and Sony, are in uncharted territory. Both may have plans and these plans may change. Until the new consoles have been on the market for 12-24 months, nobody knows how the public will react, how the companies will react to the public's reaction, how the companies react to that and so on ad infinitum. Consumer habits do change.

As per DSoup, I agree. Phil Spencer probably thought too which is why he announced Scorpio now. You're entering new territory for the whole industry, give people the heads up.

That's 1.5 years for kids to tell their parents about Scorpio. And have goals for them to "earn" it.
That's 1.5 years for a parent to make an informed decision with materials from Microsoft.

I'm not sure how well this Neo is released next month deal is going to go. Because certainly no parent is sitting aside the money to pay for it when they are only setting aside $350 for the PS4. Then they have to be like what's with Neo? What does it do PS4 doesn't do??

Not a lot of time or information out there or a kid to tell that to the parent. Neo and it not being announced at E3 and being announced shortly before released seems like fan service to me. Just running on hype. It's not helping customers make a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per DSoup, I agree. Phil Spencer probably thought too which is why he announced Scorpio now. You're entering new territory for the whole industry, give people the heads up.

That's 1.5 years for kids to tell their parents about Scorpio. And have goals for them to "earn" it.
That's 1.5 years for a parent to make an informed decision with materials from Microsoft.

I'm not sure how well this Neo is released next month deal is going to go. Because certainly no parent is sitting aside the money to pay for it when they are only setting aside $350 for the PS4. Then they have to be like what's with Neo? What does it do PS4 doesn't do??

Not a lot of time or information out there or a kid to tell that to the parent. Neo and it not being announced at E3 and being announced shortly before released seems like fan service to me. Just running on hype. It's not helping customers make a choice.

I dont care if they have 3 years to make an informed decision, the first thing a parent looks at is price. And somehow i doubt a premium machine like Scorpio is aimed at the most price conscious group in the market, i mean its marketed as a 4K machine. How many parents are gonna buy their children a 4K TV aswell?

Both Neo and Scorpio are aimed at enthusiasts willing to pay a premium. These are often gamers with jobs, not parents buying for their children. For that demographic, it makes sense to announce and release because that is how Apple has conditioned us

I dint know, there are plenty of parents who spoil their kids by buying them iPhones for Christmas or birthdays which come in at $2400 or such with the 2 year contracts. It won't matter if the machines target 4K, it's the latest and greatest and the kids will demand it.

June 2016
XBox One - 1.3tf
PS4 - 1.8tf

October 2016
PS4 Neo - 4.2tf

November 2017
XBox Scorpio - 6tf

2018/2019
PS4/5 - 8-10tf

And it goes on and on and on.

I dont care if they have 3 years to make an informed decision, the first thing a parent looks at is price. And somehow i doubt a premium machine like Scorpio is aimed at the most price conscious group in the market, i mean its marketed as a 4K machine. How many parents are gonna buy their children a 4K TV aswell?

Both Neo and Scorpio are aimed at enthusiasts willing to pay a premium. These are often gamers with jobs, not parents buying for their children. For that demographic, it makes sense to announce and release because that is how Apple has conditioned us
Parent needs to decide if it makes sense to own a Scorpio if they never will own a 4K Tv. Perhaps they are looking to buy a new TV now and Scorpio comes along and they can align goals.

Point is people need time to plan these things.

I don't understand this obsession about TFlops. The game has changed. If you want the TFlop king get a pc and all pc and universal xbox content.

It's more of ecosystem play now that there is no more full reset between console cycles. What sony should do is solid business in solid price points and forget about who has the most powerful box. The mass market anyway has been and probably will be in the 199$ and under category that will be occupied by the lesser consoles.

If sony can do cheap enough mass appealing box at 4.2TFlop so be it. Adding TFlops comes with a cost and it makes sense to optimize for what you think is the pricepoint end users are willing to endure.

June 2016
XBox One - 1.3tf
PS4 - 1.8tf

October 2016
PS4 Neo - 4.2tf

November 2017
XBox Scorpio - 6tf

2018/2019
PS4/5 - 8-10tf
That part is believable whereas the following one is a fallacy.
And it goes on and on and on.
I'm not quite sure why you and some others are trying to set rules of thumb out of very few occurrences disregarding the circumstances surrounding various generations of products.

I dint know, there are plenty of parents who spoil their kids by buying them iPhones for Christmas or birthdays which come in at $2400 or such with the 2 year contracts. It won't matter if the machines target 4K, it's the latest and greatest and the kids will demand it.

Im sure there are. That doesnt mean Apple views them as a key demographic or that they make a difference in sales. Every survey shows the average iPhone user to be a fairly wealthy male. The people who wait in line for the next iPhone every year are often young people, not children or families. Likewise the average gamer is actually 35 years old

http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

Sorry if this has been posted in another thread, but I found this interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...n-boss-andrew-house-ps4-neo-microsoft-scorpio

Andrew House said:
“We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem."

That kind of describes me. Last gen, with the exception of a few exclusive games, I moved back to PC around 2010 and thus far this year have been upgrading my PC and haven't really been purchasing games on PS4. I'm certainly interested in Neo and if it's good enough, I'll upgrade and stay with the Sony platform longer, even if it's not my primary platform going forward.

With the Neo, Sony can get a user like me to invest more in their platform than without it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It's what I do every gen, as it starts creeking I go to PC for 3rd party - Neo doesn't really resolve that though because PC exclusives will mean I'll still get a half-decent upgrade

Andrew House said:
“We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem."
I can only assume Mr House is referring to the previous generation where the consoles were more powerful at launch - relative to PC hardware. Anybody caring enough about graphical fidelity to "gravitate back to high-end PCs" mid-generation probably never had a console to start with, other than for exclusives that aren't on PC. At least not this generation. :nope:

It's what I do every gen, as it starts creeking I go to PC for 3rd party - Neo doesn't really resolve that though because PC exclusives will mean I'll still get a half-decent upgrade

I've always had a PC for gaming - I've run Windows since I saw Half-Life but I've owned PlayStations as well. I don't care about high-end PC gaming and for the last 7 years I've been happy with a higher spec iMac, my 2009 iMac had a 512mb Radeon 4850 which served me well and my 2013 iMac has a 4Gb GF780M which also served me well. I've been waiting on Microsoft to shrink Xbox One so I can pull the trigger but a month before E3 I saw the writing on the wall with more Xbox games coming to PC and just decided to get a PC to connect to my TV instead.

Options. Options are always good! :yep2:

You guys do realize that game consoles are not primarily played by young kids anymore, right? They're played by people in their 30s, in their 20s. People with jobs. Even teenagers have jobs and can buy stuff for themselves. Doesn't have to be mom and dad making the purchasing decisions for you. It's not a Super Nintendo in 1990.

I'm also thinking it's too soon for 4K to be this 'important' - next gen maybe, but not within the next couple years - it's such a small % isn't it?

I can only assume Mr House is referring to the previous generation where the consoles were more powerful at launch - relative to PC hardware. Anybody caring enough about graphical fidelity to "gravitate back to high-end PCs" mid-generation probably never had a console to start with, other than for exclusives that aren't on PC. At least not this generation. :nope:
Yeah - I've got a desktop built... 4 years ago now? A $399-class GPU offers me a lot more for my steam library come Spring '17 (or even this summer).

Frankly, I'm not spending on a new piece of HW just for a handful of exclusives.

You guys do realize that game consoles are not primarily played by young kids anymore, right? They're played by people in their 30s, in their 20s. People with jobs. Even teenagers have jobs and can buy stuff for themselves. Doesn't have to be mom and dad making the purchasing decisions for you. It's not a Super Nintendo in 1990.

Whilst this is true, it could be argued many of the older gamers are only playing to entertain their kids or because that's what they bought for their kids.

Stats can be skewed to say anything

Whilst this is true, it could be argued many of the older gamers are only playing to entertain their kids or because that's what they bought for their kids.

Stats can be skewed to say anything

I have a hard time believing people in their 30s are largely playing COD, the witcher, GTA, Uncharted etc to entertain their children. And when market research comes out and says most gamers are in their 30s, 20s, why would they manipulate the statistics if the answer was gamers were mostly children that can't buy games on their own? What purpose would that serve?

When playing online, I know it seems obvious everyone is a 12 year old brat, but that's a common misconception. They are physically adults.

Back