PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Ps4K was supposed to be 399 by leaks? I think so...

And presumably they sell the current Ps4 concurrently for 349, or maybe 299 by then?

The one way i can see this working, Ps4 neo costs $399, alongside the neo Sony launch a Ps4 slim and price it at $199 or $249. In the long run this means more people get their hands on a Ps4 and software sales increase, while consumer that want a more powerful version can get it at $399. Sony really need to monitor the quality of the ports for both platforms and make it easy to port from one to another, a new 3DS situation would be horrible.

No way you are seeing PS4 at those prices so soon IMO...it's still 349, traditionally you have seen Xbox either equal or $50 less. Xbox is currently "temporarily" 299...Also we have last gen to look at, I dont remember the details but it seemed like pulling teeth to even get those to 249/199 late in the gen.

Edit: Just checking the MS store it seems 500GB 360 is currently officially $199 and 4GB $159

That could actually be a point in PS4k's favor. If prices are going to be stuck around 300+ anyway...

They don't have to drop the current Ps4 price to $249. A slim version that cost them less to produce could be priced at $249 though. If the neo ends up costing $399 the difference in hardware alone should be > $100. If they end up having a regular Ps4 at $299 nobody would buy that instead of the neo.

It's nice idea but I wouldn't expect it at E3. At E3 if we are lucky we see slim's+permanent 299 IMO.

To me throwing some more CU's in is probably really cheap. They aren't altering the RAM or anything.

PC cards laugh at 3 teraflops and have for a long time. Mid/low range is 4+.

It's probably been written on his thread before it exploded, but if anything, the relatively small CPU bump and same RAM amount are pretty much proof that Neo really is aimed at keeping the gameplay the same and only using extra processing for VR, or extra eye candy.

I am just wondering how much more eye candy you can push in a game like, say, Farcry Primal, if running at the same res. Personally to me, the biggest thing would be improved lighting, but I don't think that's part of the deal. Extra res or AA in games which already look very clean seems like a missed opportunity.

Maybe it's Sony's master plan to push people to buy a 4K TV. Who knows.

Or maybe it was SquareEnix that convinced them - FF15 would probably run properly only on PS4K, as much as they try to convince us that the PS4 will keep getting optimised games.
Its a real shame cause even if they stayed at the same res for games having double the ram could really increase the quality of the graphics. We wouldn't get so many repeated textures.

I'm hoping if Phil isn't blowing smoke and they go for a bigger jump for the xbox they will double the ram at least

As DF said, there isn't a 36 CU Tonga so that'd rule it out pretty much.

DF put undue importance on the availability of retail configurations for GPUs when discussing semi-custom APU designs.

Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube will be streaming 4K HDR before it gets a chance like DVD/Blu-ray. It will be a niche product.
This isn't even considering the fact that the physical copy rental market barely exists anymore.

Vudu stream UHD and Sony has their own 4K streaming service starting soon as well. That said, I fully expect the PS4K to be UHD Bluray compatible. That information simply isn't germane to the developers. The HDR/10bit color support could be their for games, too. Those details may not have been in whatever technical brief was posted.

Watching this IGN "panel" reaction vid to PS4 Neo. I'm 3 minutes in and they've already mentioned a bunch of stupid things like downloading special texture packs for the Neo version. So far, the general attitude I see from the pundits is expressing indifference, but not having anything positive to say about the concept and just running away with ideas about how it's stupid and could end up being bad for gamers.

The games media's ability to correctly parse technical information is almost universally awful. Even DF fall into mind traps of their own making.

It's nice idea but I wouldn't expect it at E3. At E3 if we are lucky we see slim's+permanent 299 IMO.

To me throwing some more CU's in is probably really cheap. They aren't altering the RAM or anything.

PC cards laugh at 3 teraflops and have for a long time. Mid/low range is 4+.

They wouldn't announce it at E3 unless its coming out this year , but I expect 2017 for it.

Announcing it at e3 without releasing it this year would kill their sales and would also kill psvr sales as who would buy it if the extra box worth of hardware is put into the ps4 neo

Its a real shame cause even if they stayed at the same res for games having double the ram could really increase the quality of the graphics. We wouldn't get so many repeated textures.

Surely anyone not using virtual texturing these days is doing it wrong? I'm sure their are other arguments for more ram though.

Not sure if this is touched on but if Neo is using Polaris core then the efficiency per watt should be much better right? So does that mean you get even more performance on top of a 2.3x raw power increase?

Or maybe it was SquareEnix that convinced them - FF15 would probably run properly only on PS4K, as much as they try to convince us that the PS4 will keep getting optimised games.
Or Kojima! PS3 wasn't powerful enough for the MGS he wanted to make. Now he's in partnership with Sony and first thing he did was probably complain about the lack of power and convince Sony he needed a special console to realise his game. Expect MGS Neo (only it won't be MGS, of course)

At increased cost to devs. Are they really going to spend extra on creating a niche Pro version of their games? They'd have to sell a graphics pack to justify it IMO.

The new soc is increasing only the CU number, so considering CU redundancy and on 14FF it could end even smaller than the current one.
Sooooo
not really need to sell more than actual price

Kojima? Squenix? No, it is either the request from Fumito Ueda to realize his weird creature creation to the fullest or because of Kaz felt the car wasn't realistic enough in GT Sport. He wanted to simulate the smell of burning rubber and gasoline. Also better moon simulation and probably add Jupiter, Mars, and Venus.

The same thing happened to PS2; later models were more powerful than the first model (even if only 5%)
Do you have any kind of a source for that claim? Because this is the first I ever heard of it, and we've had multiple PS2 devs on this board.

There's always a technological solution.
Your lossy compression scheme discarded the underboob. That is unacceptable image quality!

just like all those ps3 games continued to be made after the ps4 came out?
Like the 80 million ps3 owners were a significant incentive to keep making games?
PS3 era was (painfully!) long and fruitful; customers got their money's worth out of that one, and then some. There is no genuine comparison to current consoles IMO.

Back to the hardware itself. I'm really curious about the CPU and memory not receiving much of an upgrade.
Upgrading these is a much bigger job. RAM, because fast RAM is difficult and expensive, and memory subsystem of PS4 is already pretty fast as it is. CPU, because CPUs are complicated and fuckups here have extremely serious repercussions (including hardware recalls and extremely expensive replacements and so on.)

Why not 12GB of RAM? Why not a few more CPU cores, or a new CPU core that supports the same instructions?
12GB RAM is assymmetrical. Assuming GDDR even supports that, you'd cut bandwidth in half when accessing the additional 4GB. It would have to be 16GB, and 16GB of 7GHz GDDR would cost a penny, probably. ;)

Replacing CPU cores is a Big Job, and even assuming AMD has the engineering resources for it (they might well not), what would they replace it with? Zen isn't ready, and Puma is not a significant increase; likely not enough to warrant the large cost in time, effort and money required. Keeping CPU complex intact and just bumping clocks on the other hand is a much less painful effort.

Watching this IGN "panel" reaction vid to PS4 Neo. I'm 3 minutes in and they've already mentioned a bunch of stupid things like downloading special texture packs for the Neo version. So far, the general attitude I see from the pundits is expressing indifference, but not having anything positive to say about the concept and just running away with ideas about how it's stupid and could end up being bad for gamers.

Like it or not, their (as in the enthusiast press) opinion on the matter carries a lot more weight than that of a bunch of tech-savvy folk arguing over pixels in some far away corner of the internet.

If I were sony, I'd be worried about ign's and neogaf's negative reaction to this.

Not sure if this is touched on but if Neo is using Polaris core then the efficiency per watt should be much better right? So does that mean you get even more performance on top of a 2.3x raw power increase?
I think Polaris is supposed to be 2.5X performance per watt. I'm not sure how to factor that into the raw increase.

If I were sony, I'd be worried about ign's and neogaf's negative reaction to this.

The War Boys will quickly come to terms with this now it's confirmed, and will soon come to believe it's a positive thing and get excited. And the feckless enthusiast press will soon be suckling from Sony's teet at press events and with personal test units being scattered amongst the most deserving.

Sony are going to have a mental Christmas with revenue through the roof, while MS cry in the poorhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back