PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying. If I buy a PS4.5 for $400 and then three to four years later PS5 comes out and it's a totally different platform, then PS4.5 wasn't a very good deal. If you bought a late-gen PS3 it may have only lasted you two or three years before PS4 came out, but you probably only paid $200-250 for it.

Forwards compatibility would ensure that I'd get probably six years out of a PS4.5 because it would run the PS5 games, making it a much better deal.
So you're better off with buying a PS4 or XBO that will only last 2 more years?

That makes no sense. First we complain that 7-8 years cycles are too long. Then when someone does something about it, we get "oh well get a PC and stay with it 8 years!"
They just can't win, can they!
Next!

I am sorry but a high end PC of next year will destroy the PS4. 1 and the PS4.2 of 2019... It seems we will have three years cycle...

The first investment will be big but after you can stay so long with a 2017 high end PC with HBM2...

The 2019 PS will be 2x less powerful than a high end 2017 PC...

The PS4.1 is less powerful than a Fury X. ..

I am sorry but a high end PC of next year will destroy the PS4. 1 and the PS4.2 of 2019... It seems we will have three years cycle...

The first investment will be big but after you can stay so long with a 2017 high end PC with HBM2...

The 2019 PS will be 2x less powerful than a high end 2017 PC...

Yep, all the way to 2018...........

rpRuLcY.gif

So you're better off with buying a PS4 or XBO that will only last 2 more years?

Yes, probably. Say PS4.5 lasts three years. That means PS4 lasts three more years. If PS4.5 is $400, then PS4 is probably going to be $200-250. I'd take the cheaper one, if PS4.5 is just going to be cut off when PS5 comes out.

It's not a cycle. That's the whole point. Nothing resets when the 4.5 SKU comes out!

Scott_Arm is, I think, talking about people entering this generation now. PS4K is an iterative design and original PS4 games will continue to run. If PS5 appears in three years and old PS4/PS4K doesn't run he's saying that buying a cheaper base PS4 may be a better investment than a PS4K.

Of course YMMV depending on your appreciation of whatever visual improvements are actually delivered.

Scott_Arm is, I think, talking about people entering this generation now. PS4K is an iterative design and original PS4 games will continue to run. If PS5 appears in three years and old PS4/PS4K doesn't run he's saying that buying a cheaper base PS4 may be a better investment than a PS4K.

Of course YMMV depending on your appreciation of whatever visual improvements are actually delivered.

Depends on the price though. If PS4K is $399 and PS4 is $299 then I'd say go for the PS4K.

I am a console gamer but less and less convince of the interest of it...

I am a PS4 owner only and with three years cycle I don't see the advantage of console anymore...
And I'm not convinced we are seeing a shift in the console model. To me it looks like it could be a one off. And if it isn't, it may have more to do with the loss of control over IP than a desire to change the dynamics. So, if you really want to see a reversion to a more traditional console model then start railing for custom silicon. Cell2020!!!!!!!! :)

Yep. Let me put it this way: If people are upset that their $400 PS4 is "obsolete" even though every game will be able to run on PS4 and PS4.5, then they'll be really upset if they buy a $400 PS4.5 and it won't run PS5 games at all.

The only way PS4.5 makes any sense is if they're planning forwards compatibility.

If Sony are planning on enforcing forwards compatibility, then a little more grunt on the CPU side might have been nice. Unfortunately, Zen's just not ready yet...

If there's isn't going to be FC then that does indeed put a bit of dent in the kind of model that I think many of us were interested in seeing happening.

The only way PS4.5 makes any sense is if they're planning forwards compatibility.

Yeah and that will be an unknown for several more years. For me the PS4 Neo seems very sensible and is evidently something Sony had in mind when designing PS4. They must have written the APIs to account for possible hardware enhancements down the line and design them in a way they would just work on future AMD hardware from the same architecture - being in mind AMD would have very closely collaborated with Sony from very early on.

And I hope that this is a sign that Sony are planning on compatibility just being a thing from now onward. Of course much probably depends on AMD not going out go business in the meantime. That's probably the biggest gamble of all.

While I'm not of the same view, I do understand the views of others who don't like this because they've enjoyed the experience of buying a console and that experience being fixed for 5+ years and where there is no feeling of being left behind. There is no real answer to this, there is the PC but I'm not sure the economics of hardware outlay will be less than consoles iterating more quickly. Time will tell.

Discussing documentation seen by the team on their latest podcast, Giant Bomb explained that "it seems like [Sony] won't allow a display buffer lower than 1080 in Neo Mode, so these cases of games under 1080 getting scaled up, seems like that will only be a Base Mode thing".

That means that games running at native 900p on PS4, as seen with Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed Unity, may become a thing of the past with PS4K.

Other features offered by the new hardware will include enhancements to Remote Play, Giant Bomb says, with the Neo providing "a better resolution" when streaming to other devices, and the ability to record gameplay footage at 1080p/60fps through the PS4's internal game DVR. The current DVR records footage at 720p/30fps.

Existing controllers and peripherals will also be compatible with the new hardware, Giant Bomb says.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4k..._run_at_minimum_1080p_new_neo_info_leaks.html

At increased cost to devs. Are they really going to spend extra on creating a niche Pro version of their games? They'd have to sell a graphics pack to justify it IMO.

It would only be a niche until it isn't. I don't expect the ps4 to exist much longer than another 2 years or so. People will start making games only for the ps4k and they will target the extra ram to give them a graphical advantage over the other titles.

Also don't forget we have the PC which will continue to get more ram with its graphics cards. So they are going to end up supporting it anyway

Just a Fury X is about twice the price of an entire PS4. Then you need to add all the other junk needed to build a PC. What kind of bollocks reasoning is this?

Yes, something costing a LOT more money ends up being faster! Gee whiz, imagine that! Regular Einstein you are... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back