Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Sony is calling both modes as "Social Screen" [both mirroring and coop]. They have done so countless times in video coverage of various events where PSVR was demoed.

- social screen
---- copy mode (VR render de-VR-ed to normal tv screen)
---- seperate mode (720p 30fps different render from VR render)

I'm sure they will have preorders for the non bundled version. Well this is sony so who knows

I figured you'd be happy about this since you are convinced consumers would buy headset and once at home realize they need more accessories and be angry.....

I figured you'd be happy about this since you are convinced consumers would buy headset and once at home realize they need more accessories and be angry.....

Sony did this so consumers aren't confused by missing required pieces of hardware. Its a smart move by sony following a dumb move.

Sony did this so consumers aren't confused by missing required pieces of hardware. Its a smart move by sony following a dumb move.

So it's a dumb move not forcing consumers like me who already own a camera to buy a second one.... :rolleyes:

For the record they announced earlier in the week they'd have different types of bundles which BTW is exactly what many people thought and brought to your attention much earlier in the discussion here on B3D when we were discussing potential bundles and you were insisting Sony would confuse consumers regarding the need for a camera.

There were always be a certain amount of confusion on the part of the consumer regardless how any given company sells their products and services but Sony has not done anything dumb here.

Edit:

I think Sony has played a little fast and loose about price and tech and gaming sites are covering that which is fair. The PR by Sony was designed to emphasize a price which is far less than competitors. But we all almost universally criticize these companies for their PR.

You think it will be canceled or something?
it may be delayed to sell more of the bundle which they will make more money off of

So it's a dumb move not forcing consumers like me who already own a camera to buy a second one.... :rolleyes:

For the record they announced earlier in the week they'd have different types of bundles which BTW is exactly what many people thought and brought to your attention much earlier in the discussion here on B3D when we were discussing potential bundles and you were insisting Sony would confuse consumers regarding the need for a camera.

There were always be a certain amount of confusion on the part of the consumer regardless how any given company sells their products and services but Sony has not done anything dumb here.

Edit:

I think Sony has played a little fast and loose about price and tech and gaming sites are covering that which is fair. The PR by Sony was designed to emphasize a price which is far less than competitors. But we all almost universally criticize these companies for their PR.

The PSVR is Sega silly at this point .

From the original announcement to get the $400 price point and be $200 cheaper than the nearest vr headset you need 1) To have a ps4 ($300-$400) 2) Buy the headset ($400) 3) know and buy a separate camera that is $60 for the majority of games released for this and then 4) buy another 2 accessories (move controllers) that are $25 or $30 each

Yes I used MSRP for all these because the average consumer will buy them for this and as people buy the cheaper units out there the prices will go back towards msrp.

Now in the united states at least sony is announcing a bundle for preorder that is $500 and includes that plus a game. There is no mention of a preorder for the non bundled version.

I am also sure there will be various bundles with the system also .

This is going to cause massive head aches at retail and there will be parents buying this for Christmas that wont know they need a camera or wont know they need move controllers for some games and there are going to be a lot of upset people.

Remember memory cards ? I worked for gamestop when the ps2 launched. There were angry customers in all the time about playing the game and not being able to save and not knowing you need a memory card. There will be complaints about this too.

Oculus doesn't include motion controllers yet. Once those are factored in psvr is still at least $200 cheaper. And psvr has the advantage that the dual shock 4 is already a capable motion controller. So they have a value bundle for people who need the total package and a cheaper option for people who know what they are doing.

it may be delayed to sell more of the bundle which they will make more money off of

From the original announcement to get the $400 price point and be $200 cheaper than the nearest vr headset you need 1) To have a ps4 ($300-$400) 2) Buy the headset ($400) 3) know and buy a separate camera that is $60 for the majority of games released for this and then 4) buy another 2 accessories (move controllers) that are $25 or $30 each

Yes I used MSRP for all these because the average consumer will buy them for this and as people buy the cheaper units out there the prices will go back towards msrp.

Now in the united states at least sony is announcing a bundle for preorder that is $500 and includes that plus a game. There is no mention of a preorder for the non bundled version.

This is going to cause massive head aches at retail and there will be parents buying this for Christmas that wont know they need a camera or wont know they need move controllers for some games and there are going to be a lot of upset people.

Remember memory cards ? I worked for gamestop when the ps2 launched. There were angry customers in all the time about playing the game and not being able to save and not knowing you need a memory card. There will be complaints about this too.

If there is any truth here, you can always buy PSVR used on ebay after launch. These parents you speak of, they will never buy another sony product and will dump it for a quarter of the price on ebay. Because sony sucks.

PSVR is only $100 from that perspective. It's quite a bargain.

If there is any truth here, you can always buy PSVR used on ebay after launch. These parents you speak of, they will never buy another sony product and will dump it for a quarter of the price on ebay. Because sony sucks.

PSVR is only $100 from that perspective. It's quite a bargain.

They will just return it to bestbuy or target and say this thing didn't work.

The 500.00 bundle price is a chance to maximize profits due to demand at launch, I'm pretty sure we've seen people on B3D (including yourself) argue MS should have charged more for new MS products at launch to make more money off consumers who would have bought at a higher price. Now for some reason Sony actually doing that with PSVR is dumb, silly and dangerous....

For the record I'm not in favor of forced bundles to maximize profits bc I do think it can be unfair to the consumer but frankly there is nothing more democratic about a free market than people choosing to keep their money in their wallet or purse if price is an issue.

Anytime a new product is launched there will be headaches but that is due primarily to scarcity and the pent up demand associated with it; PSVR will be no different in that regard from countless other products which are sold for the purpose of digital entertainment.

As best I can tell the issues with VR will impact all 3 companies with perhaps a stronger media focus on Sony after the launch because I do think VR will have more injuries associated with it than say motion controls did due to inherent compromises in safety necessary to create the immersion needed for the tech. We're likely to have psychologist and doctors doing short segments on local TV discussing the antisocial implications, 60 minutes specials, etc, all discussing the health risk and other related problems but none of that has anything to do with the price and BTW none of the real challenges are exclusive to Sony in spite of your strong attempt to frame it that way.

Last edited:
Back