Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Fallout 4 is not a SCEWWS games. Until Dawn or Bloodborne are better example. In VR the Framerate and resolution are king. They will sacrifice effect in PS4...

But in this scenario the troll has no food, better to imply Sony are incompetent and want to release a product which will be unusable.

The PS4 IQ will be improved with the PS5, but in the mean time it will be improved with optimisations and new techniques, just like Uncharted 1 looks bad in retrospective compared to U3. When do you predict the PS5 is coming out again?

PC's receive those optimisations and new techniques too. Mainly because the same games are largely released on both platforms.

Mod: Removed. Already have FO4 thread

Last edited by a moderator:
The PC discussion is definitely OT. Cost of a PC to run whatever game, especially a non-VR game, has no baring on PSVR and headsets. The only real meaningful comparison for business purposes is cost to run the same game, but that discussion is just another flavour of PC versus console and we all know the answers, hence it needn't be discussed again. Quite why we're talking about upgrading PC to fit OVR and what PS5 will be doing when PSCR isn't even frickin' out yet obggles the mind. We're on the cusp of a whole new world in video entertainment immersion, and people are wanting to talk about five years' future and what happens once we're past this dull old introduction to mainstream VR.

Maybe it's worth demonstrating it? Upgrade your current PC to Oculus Rift spec and then in six years doing the same thing. Also giving prices of the hardware. :)

My VR dev system for the last couple years has been a first generation i7 (circa 2008/2009) and 660ti/970 and has been plenty sufficient. CPUs are only gaining something in the ballpark of 10% IPC every couple years, so six years of innovation on the CPU side really doesn't amount to much when you're talking about applications that are almost never CPU limited anyways. When I eventually move to Haswell-E or Skylake-E it probably won't be due to CPU performance but rather USB 3.0 and PCIE 3.0 support, by which point this system platform will be 7-8(!) years old. Personally I think this quibbling over platform cost and using it to justify platforms of choice is mind numbing as it never leads anywhere - people don't walk away anymore informed than when they came in.

To bring this discussion back to VR specifically - I'm currently looking through Nvidia's newly released gameworksVR sdk that includes MRS, and was wondering if we know anything about the rendering optimizations that Sony is implementing? Do we have any recent frame grabs of PSVR to get an idea if they're doing something similar for redistributing/biasing their sampling resolution? I would presume with a console that there should be a great deal of flexibility allowed for these types of optimizations.

Still wondering what pixel structure they used, and who makes the screen, because I can't find any oled striped RGB pattern at a high enough density. True stripes are only used for TVs, samsung dropped the s-stripe pattern years ago, and never reached 300ppi. The diamond matrix really unlocked the density, but it's probably not adaptable to RGB because it's orthogonal.

I made dis...

GJZpSZv.png

Have Sony ever used OLED for the big view finders on their pricier cameras? I'm assuming that the 720p micro OLED panels they used on their HMZ head mounts were RGB stripe.

Have Sony ever used OLED for the big view finders on their pricier cameras? I'm assuming that the 720p micro OLED panels they used on their HMZ head mounts were RGB stripe.
Yes, but all their viewfinders are oled on silicon, which is super expensive and limited by the silicon area. It can only be an eye piece. On glass, there is a problem with density, not sure exactly why. Never seen the swivel screen displays with phone-like density. I have seen mention of oled being limited by the evaporative process, but no idea what it is.

What is obvious from all the macro photos of the pixels is that the space between sub pixels remains almost constant, and the resolution increases are eating into the oled emission area. Pentile was a nice trick to get more from the same limitations.

I'm curious if we know anything regarding Sony's off->on OLED pixel response? This has been (and will continue to be) a real issue for Samsung. Basically any pixels on the screen that are full black require a couple frames to properly illuminate resulting in a discolored ghosting effect when you have a black area on the screen moving around. This has been mitigated somewhat in the past year by the boosting the brightness for these changing pixels via shaders in order to speed up their transition time, but it's still not perfect. It's actually a pretty big shame considering one of the huge selling points of OLED was the prospect of it being a seemingly perfect display tech for VR in the sense of color reproduction, pixel switching time, contrast ratio, etc.

Haven't seen anything other than "low persistence".

Is this a problem specific to DK2 and gear VR? Wild guess, it could be because they're smartphone screens. Maybe the persistence, and TFT drive current, and pixel capacitance, etc... were designed for smartphone efficiency and brightness, to the detriment of switching time. Or maybe achieving the higher resolution made them sacrifice the drive current.

A compensation circuit in the external processor would be so much better than having to do it in software. Or better yet, in the actual display driving circuit.

Is this a problem specific to DK2 and gear VR?

It's tied to Samsung OLED (or possibly inherent to all OLED, just that Samsung happens to be the vocal cheerleader of the tech). This is something that's visible on every Samsung OLED panel phone they've released. What's interesting is that it seemingly is not replicated by the low persistence cycling, so we can assume that the mechanism by which the panels are globally switched on and off is completely independent of the per-pixel power switching. At one point they(Oculus) were recommending developers to try using 1,1,1 instead for blacks where possible to avoid the ghosting. The sort of scenes/scenarios that I dream about for a VR experience is being able to represent a star field in a space sim with very high fidelity, but between the low pixel density and this on-switching speed oddity it makes me think we might be more than a couple VR generations away from that.

Last edited:
Still wondering what pixel structure they used, and who makes the screen, because I can't find any oled striped RGB pattern at a high enough density. True stripes are only used for TVs, samsung dropped the s-stripe pattern years ago, and never reached 300ppi. The diamond matrix really unlocked the density, but it's probably not adaptable to RGB because it's orthogonal.

I made dis...

GJZpSZv.png

The galaxy note 2 is close its a 5.5 inch 720p screen at 267 ppi

upload_2015-11-19_19-55-41.png

And here is the new pentile for the s5 vs the s4

upload_2015-11-19_19-56-48.png

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...crets-of-the-brightest-AMOLED-display_id54772

what is this game? I have been looking in youtube to see what it is about but they only show people wearing the VR and playing it

what is this game? I have been looking in youtube to see what it is about but they only show people wearing the VR and playing it

It's more of an interactive demo, you are tied to a chair and horrific things happen - then you are attacked and try to dodge and block the attacks with your tied hands. This was the demo I tried at EGX and has sold me on the headset.

Back