Casual Shenanigans Fallout4 PC vs PS4 shootout

Everyone knows the most fun you have playing PC games is editing INI files and then restarting the game to see if it changed anything in FRAPs.

Funnily enough one of the most fun experiences I've had with PC gaming was editing the ini files in Star Trek Legacy to change the ship capabilities and then pitting the ships against each other. The ini files basically read like top trump stats so it was great playing around with them and seeing how that effected ship balance in the game.

Each individual part is still on an upgrade cycle. You won't do 6 years with a low end CPU and GPU.

Who said anything about low end CPU, low end GPU or 6 years? The most recent rumours put the next gen consoles as launching in 2018, 3 years from now. And neither the GTX 970 or the i5 4590 are anything close to low end, and won't be by next year either. My CPU for the record is coming up to 5 years old now and is still going very strong. It's pretty much on par with the Oculus min spec and if required could no doubt see out the rest of this console generation with ease. As could my approaching 4 years old GPU for that matter if it weren't for the Oculus min spec.

Maybe it's worth demonstrating it? Upgrade your current PC to Oculus Rift spec and then in six years doing the same thing. Also giving prices of the hardware. :)

Why 6 years? If the next gen consoles launch in 3 do you really think Oculus (or some other PC headset) will lag behind by another 3 years? If I even bother to upgrade my CPU this console generation (it's coming up to 5 years old now and still pretty much on par with the Oculus requirement) then it would likely be to at least a 6 Core Broadwell. I wouldn't be at all surprised if such a CPU were on par with the minimum spec of and Oculus 2 meaning that all I'd need to upgrade would be my GPU. Which going by the min GPU price for Oculus by the time it launches should be around £150. Even with a full CPU, MOBO, RAM and GPU upgrade, the Oculus minimum spec would cost a little over £400 by mid 2016. Or about the launch price of a PS4.

Who said anything about low end CPU, low end GPU or 6 years? The most recent rumours put the next gen consoles as launching in 2018, 3 years from now. And neither the GTX 970 or the i5 4590 are anything close to low end, and won't be by next year either. My CPU for the record is coming up to 5 years old now and is still going very strong. It's pretty much on par with the Oculus min spec and if required could no doubt see out the rest of this console generation with ease. As could my approaching 4 years old GPU for that matter if it weren't for the Oculus min spec.

Why 6 years? If the next gen consoles launch in 3 do you really think Oculus (or some other PC headset) will lag behind by another 3 years? If I even bother to upgrade my CPU this console generation (it's coming up to 5 years old now and still pretty much on par with the Oculus requirement) then it would likely be to at least a 6 Core Broadwell. I wouldn't be at all surprised if such a CPU were on par with the minimum spec of and Oculus 2 meaning that all I'd need to upgrade would be my GPU. Which going by the min GPU price for Oculus by the time it launches should be around £150. Even with a full CPU, MOBO, RAM and GPU upgrade, the Oculus minimum spec would cost a little over £400 by mid 2016. Or about the launch price of a PS4.
Because 6 years is a normalish console generation. To be frank I'm glad the PC talk can be removed from the PSVR thread.

Because 6 years is a normalish console generation. To be frank I'm glad the PC talk can be removed from the PSVR thread.

Current rumours of a 2018 launch for next gen consoles suggest a 5 year cycle for this gen but more to the point, it will not be 6 years between Oculus 1 and 2 if the next gen consoles launch any time between now and 2020.

Incidentally I moved the post myself so we could continue the conversation since I suspect it would have been (rightfully) deleted in the other thread.

Current rumours of a 2018 launch for next gen consoles suggest a 5 year cycle for this gen but more to the point, it will not be 6 years between Oculus 1 and 2 if the next gen consoles launch any time between now and 2020.

Incidentally I moved the post myself so we could continue the conversation since I suspect it would have been (rightfully) deleted in the other thread.

I'd expect a new oculus every two years.

In terms of having to upgrade a pc. your not going to have to go crazy doing it.

If you own a pc that was made in the last 3-4 years then the cpu and ram should be enough. You might have to upgrade your graphics card.

You can get a 290x for $300 . That brings you up to the recommended specs for the rift.

If your building from scratch AMD will get you a fast cpu / mobo / ram for $200 . The cpu is an apu so pairing it up with a modern card will give you increased performance due to crossfire. You'd then need a case / power supply / hardrive /windows. Which could be done for another $200.

The ps5 may be more powerful , but in 2018 they wont be shipping the playstation vr as it is now for the ps5. You will again have to make a new investment into both the console and vr equipement.

You'd be able to simply upgrade your rift on your pc or if you want increase performance with better hardware.

This is Fallout 4 thread, not VR thread! Consider the PC vs PS4 VR cost and upgradeability discussion ended in any thread.

Back