Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same screenshot, different location, more glittering on the PS4 version :yep2::
vV1b.png
Those are differences in the close fringes of the specular lobe, I'm mostly talking about the broadly-distributed stuff.

(And regardless, you're further demonstrating that the port of the effect is expressed differently beyond just grain fineness.)

So what you're saying is that men need to fight for the things that their daughters love so much.

Wait.

wat.

/goes back to burning pancakes

By the time any possible daughter of mine would be involved with such things I'd be quite grumpy. Future's not looking bright...

By the time any possible daughter of mine would be involved with such things I'd be quite grumpy. Future's not looking bright...

So they're not quite old enough for this?

sparkly_vampire_by_blastedgoose[1].png

Not sure why they didn't recommend the Xbox One as the console version of choice in the closing paragraph as according to their text it's identical but runs a bit better. Instead they only recommend the PC version where AFAIK they normall pick a recommendation and then if it's PC they also pick a secondary winner between the consoles. For example on their F1 2015 face off (the most recent XBO/PS4/PC face off )

Neither console delivers the near faultless 60fps experience we were hoping for, but out of the two it's the PS4 version that provides smoother gameplay with fewer intrusive visual inconsistencies, making it the best version to buy given the choice.

Last edited:
I think you're missing the subtext. They're saying don't buy it on consoles because it's s poor port, "buy it" on PC. And buy "buy it" we mean pirate it. Because it's s poor port.

The performance gap in F1 was FAR greater than it is in Zombi. Not to mention the XB1 had more visual inconsistencies and was 1440x1080p.

With all of their recorded footage, perhaps they felt the difference in performance wasn't enough to justify a winner. While the drops on PS4 were quite low at times, they were short and infrequent judging by the video.

But yeah, XB1 gets the edge on this one. Looks like a quick and dirty upres port though.

Heck, I was just glad to finally get to see the test done on the Wii U version. I knew the game held pretty tight to 30fps most of the time, but while playing, it was tough to tell just how low it was dipping. It never seemed bad, but there was certainly moments of judder in a few parts of the game. Not sure there is much of a market for this game. The graphics and story were never the selling points, it was the gamepad that made the game special. Stripped of that, its a mediocre looking game with gameplay mechanics that have been stripped of their novelty. Cant lie, I was surprised to see the game did in framerate on the X1/PS4 at any point. Makes you wonder where the bottle neck was.

I asked the value of the game sans Wuublet in its game thread, and replies suggested it was a game with intrinsic value as a zombie game.

Not a technical piece but an interesting article from Richard Leadbetter on the future of DF, which includes expanding their video output and using a full-time video producer / presenter.

The NX Gamer videos work for me because the voiceover focuses on the elements of the video being shown so I'm hoping DF will be doing something like this in future rather than just releasing video capture footage.

Yeah, I read that. I thought it interesting that he said he's happy staying at Eurogamer since they've been supportive of him/them covering PC hardware "my current passion".

I think digitalfoundry are best when they're not covering PC hardware - there are hundreds of sites that do that and they tend to do it better. The aspect that makes digitalfoundry unique is their comparisons between console hardware/software.

I feel that if they start covering more GPUs they're diluting the formula that works.

I'm sure I'm going to be jumped in from all angles by PC gamers in a few minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back